Thread: Is there a hit or not with the fingers in the release?

Chats: 0

Default Is there a hit or not with the fingers in the release?

I think Rob said that there is no hit. I know you are not supposed to hit the release when the ball is starting to go upward. When I release my ball as soon as I feel the weight of the ball go onto my fingers I do hit it but into the lane and not as the ball is going upward. When I listen to a pro tournament on Youtube I see the pros making an aggressive release and it looks like they are giving a hit with the fingers as they release the ball. Also the announcer will say that the pro didn't give the shot enough hand and hit to light. The other would be that the pro gave it too much hand in the shot and it hit Brooklyn. So does this mean that there is a hit with the fingers? If there is you can hit it light or hard depending on the lane conditions.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

When you "Hit" on the ball they are talking about exactly what I do. I "Hit up" on the ball. It's the old school method where back then to get the ball to hook we had to use "lift" on the ball to generate revs. Now with the modern cores in the ball hitting up takes away from allowing the ball to do what it was designed to do. With the modern release it isn't lift dependent, they just kinda set it gently on the lane and direct it where to go. It's all very confusing. Simply put, old school we had to make the ball do what we wanted it to do. Now the ball does it on its own, the less we make it do the better it works LOL

Pin Crusher

The way you put it, it kind of sounds they dumbed down the game and made it so anyone can throw a hook. At least the old timers had to work to get a hook. Now just go buy one. Go up to the line and drop the ball in the right direction, it is called throwing the ball into the floor not out on the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    The way you put it, it kind of sounds they dumbed down the game and made it so anyone can throw a hook. At least the old timers had to work to get a hook. Now just go buy one. Go up to the line and drop the ball in the right direction, it is called throwing the ball into the floor not out on the lane.
    LOL I wouldn't go quite that far and don't put those words in my mouth or I'll surely get an earful. What I am saying is we used to have to put a lot of lift and turn on the ball to get it to hook anywhere. To a degree the modern cores have hook built into them so to speak. Look at guys like Mark Roth who used to lift and turn the holy hell out of the ball you'd hear him grunt at the line.

Now with these new balls you don't have to put half that effort into them. Now these modern pros seem to just gently fineness the ball on the lane and you don't even hear a thud and it goes gutter to gutter. It's all in that new release and modern core combination that makes it so. Although I'm sure Mark Roth would still get similar results using his method, he is Mark Roth after all. For us trying to mimick his style we'd likely not get that result. Now we just have to work smarter not harder. Bowl1820 posted that modern release video a couple weeks ago with the Asian kids demonstrating it. Watch that and you'll see what little effort it takes to get the ball to hook and you'll clearly see that "Lift" is hardly a factor.