Thread: Are there levels of being a stroker, tweener and cranker?

Chats: 0

Default Are there levels of being a stroker, tweener and cranker?

What I mean is you can be a stroker or a power stroker. Or you can be a tweener or a power tweener. As far as a cranker it seems like there is just a cranker. If there was a power cranker that would be insane. They would leave skid marks on the alley with the enormous revs. In my case I would consider myself a tweener. So what are your thought on this?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

If I understand the terms correctly the only difference with any of them is rev rate and the term power being applied would just relate to ball speed versions which fall into their respective rev rate category.

High Roller

Dunno. I would say I'm more of a tweener or stroker. By my unscientific calculations I am at about 300-350 revs and about 17.7 MPH. Timed several shots and most are around 2.35 seconds. As for revs that was a little harder but my video wasn't the best but it looked like just under 3 revs in .5 seconds. Based on what I found online 3 revs in .5 is 360 revs so based on that I would say 325 is probably pretty close for me but I could be wrong just based on being a rookie at this and not having great methods of measuring.

Pin Crusher

Maybe there is a formula like say multiply the rev rate times the ball speed then divide by your best friends age. Bowlers are trying to think too much. Just find something you can do well and work on your accuracy.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    What I mean is you can be a stroker or a power stroker. Or you can be a tweener or a power tweener. As far as a cranker it seems like there is just a cranker. If there was a power cranker that would be insane. They would leave skid marks on the alley with the enormous revs. In my case I would consider myself a tweener. So what are your thought on this?
    With todays equipment and varied styles the old definitions are basically meaningless.

Today Stroker, Tweener and Cranker are more just defined by (or replaced by) your rev rate and not by "style" and how you play the lane.

Also depending on who you ask, Power Stroker & Tweener are the same thing. A cranker is just a cranker

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

These terms in and of themselves are pretty much meaningless. What is important is the relationship between the rev rate and the bowlers speed. If Jason Belmonte could only throw the ball 15 mph, his 650 rpm rev rate would be irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Maybe there is a formula like say multiply the rev rate times the ball speed then divide by your best friends age. Bowlers are trying to think too much. Just find something you can do well and work on your accuracy.
    This. I'm found a release I'm comfortable with, a line I like, a speed I can achieve without hurting myself, now I just need to hit my mark and make the necessary adjustments. If you're looking to progress beyond good bowler status, perhaps lessons would be worth a shot.