Thread: League playoff round structure?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default League playoff round structure?

So we finished our regular season last night. We finished 2nd. Next week is the PR (placement round?). The following week is "Bowling for Averages"? There are 3 weeks left. So what does all this mean? We finished 2nd and bowl the 1st place team next week. 3rd bowls 4th, 5th bowls 6th, and so on. There are 2 divisions with 9 teams in one division and 8 in the other so each side has this structure next week. So what happens if we lose to the 1st place team? Seems like an odd setup? Usually 1st seed place last seed, etc. So if we lose and 3rd beats 4th will they move ahead of us? We are only 1 game ahead of 3rd but 9 behind 1st so we can't move up at all.

What is 'Bowling for Averages (the following week)? Then I assume the following week decides the champion somehow? The 1st place team has a 70 handicap. Ours is 175.They have 6 guys with averages between 207 and 222. We have 1 guy with a 200 average (203). Gonna be a tough one.

Just trying to understand how this structure is.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Basically it sounds like your league is divided into two divisions, next weeks position round will determine division champ, then you'll have a rolloff between the division champs for the league championship. With everyone else just "bowling for average".

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So we finished our regular season last night. We finished 2nd. Next week is the PR (placement round?).
    We finished 2nd and bowl the 1st place team next week. 3rd bowls 4th, 5th bowls 6th, and so on.
    PR is Position Round and that's how it works 1vs2, 3vs4, etc.

The following week is "Bowling for Averages"? There are 3 weeks left. So what does all this mean?
    That is hard to say without knowing just how your league operates and it's rules, Look at your league rules it should explain it.

There are 2 divisions with 9 teams in one division and 8 in the other so each side has this structure next week. So what happens if we lose to the 1st place team?
    What happens? You come in second in your division, unless a team/s pass you in points.

Seems like an odd setup?
    It's a common setup

Usually 1st seed place last seed, etc.
    Not typically done in league.

So if we lose and 3rd beats 4th will they move ahead of us? We are only 1 game ahead of 3rd but 9 behind 1st so we can't move up at all.
    YEP, so you better try to win.

What is 'Bowling for Averages (the following week)?
    Hard to say in the context of your league without knowing just how your league operates and it's rules.

Usually when someones says their just "Bowling for Average" their doing just that, theres nothing on the line except maintaining or lowering or raising their average.

Then I assume the following week decides the champion somehow? The 1st place team has a 70 handicap. Ours is 175.They have 6 guys with averages between 207 and 222. We have 1 guy with a 200 average (203). Gonna be a tough one.
    if they are having roll off between the division champions for the overall champion. which from the sound of it your not going to be in it

Just trying to understand how this structure is.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-28-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Thanks. Just sounded confusing. I don't remember any of my old leagues ever doing this but then again that was a long time ago. So the 1st place team is up on us by 9 points and the most we can gain on them is 7 (7-0) so looks like 2nd is the best we can get. We get 2 pts. per game then 1 pt. for total. Oh well.

We were in about 5th or 6th when I started at the end of January so we made up quite a bit of ground. The first place team in the other division also has 6 guys over 200 average (206 to 222). The 2nd place team in the other division has 5 guys over 200 (217 to 225). Man are we outgunned. Guess we overachieved. Those 3 teams have all the ringers so we were the top team without ringers...lol. We have 33 guys in our league over 200 average and 17 of them are on those 3 teams. We have 9 guys over 220 average and 8 of them are on those 3 teams...ugh. Never realized how stacked these 3 teams are. Makes me feel better that we finished as good as we did. Our 6 guys averages are 203, 199, 190, 181, 181, and 171. The 171 is me...lol.

Going to bowl in the summer league so hopefully I can continue getting back in my groove and hope to be over 200 average next year. I was at 193 when I quit 15 years ago so I know I can do it. Just need to get consistent and start covering my spares. All in all I'm glad I came back.

Bowler

It sounds to me like you can win, by winning. You win the first two games and you win that division.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    It sounds to me like you can win, by winning. You win the first two games and you win that division.
    Nope he said they are 9 points out of 1st, with the most they could win on pr is 7. Best they can do is lock in their position.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-29-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Nope he said they are 9 points out of 1st, with the most they could win on pr is 7. Best they can do is lock in their position.
    yep. the good thing is the #3 and 4 play each other and they are both close enough to catch us so hopefully they split and we can win at least 5-2

Pin Crusher

Never could understand why a league would have divisions. In my experience when you have teams that have higher averages than the rest of the league they have figured out how to manipulate the rules. We have a lock out rule so if 1st place has the thing locked up they bowl the last place team. We really don't need it because other than the half winners and over all winner everyone else is paid by how many points the won. We don't use position money.
    By the way I was curious and looked up your profile boat and you don't have one. Was wondering why everyone isn't required to put in at least a minimum bit of info. Like are you from Denver or Tokyo? Are you 15 or 80 years old. Do you stand or sit to P?

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I thought playoffs would be independent of points totals. Makes up for discrepancies in strength of schedule and whatnot throughout the year.

Our League has the first half winner bowl the second half winner in a roll-off at the end of the season.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Never could understand why a league would have divisions. In my experience when you have teams that have higher averages than the rest of the league they have figured out how to manipulate the rules. We have a lock out rule so if 1st place has the thing locked up they bowl the last place team. We really don't need it because other than the half winners and over all winner everyone else is paid by how many points the won. We don't use position money.
    By the way I was curious and looked up your profile boat and you don't have one. Was wondering why everyone isn't required to put in at least a minimum bit of info. Like are you from Denver or Tokyo? Are you 15 or 80 years old. Do you stand or sit to P?
    Haha. just never filled out the profile. but i do stand to pee. but you should have figured that out since my name is boatMAN and not boatWOMAN...lol