Thread: How Does the Foul Line Sensor Work?

Default How Does the Foul Line Sensor Work?

What keeps the foul line sensor from tripping when a ball rolls past it?

Had a sub for our team who is not very good trip the foul line sensor even though he was a good 12-18" behind the line... and he launches the ball 10' down the lane so ball didn't just roll past it. Nobody could figure out why it tripped.

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

In my center, it doesn't. Now they are entirely shut off. In the previous place I bowled at they shut them off as well. At the previous place, people self-police and call the fouls if they saw them. At the current place, nobody seems to care if a person slides six inches over the line.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Foul line sensors are goofy. They aren't "supposed" to sense a ball going past them. So far I haven't learned anything about them at our center regarding them. I know they are rarely used but told they do work. The speed and ball sensors at the end of the alley detect everything that goes past the beam, a ball a foot and even a pin. They tell the machine to cycle. That's why when we get a ball that hits the rake we have to step over them not around breaking the beam.

However foul lines "probably" work on the same principal with a beam and reflector. My guess is maybe the duration of how long the object breaks the beam? A foot crossing stays there much longer than a ball whizzing past. My mechanic will be there Saturday when I work and I will ask and get you a definitive answer. I believe some maintenance on them is on his bucket list for me.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    What keeps the foul line sensor from tripping when a ball rolls past it?

Had a sub for our team who is not very good trip the foul line sensor even though he was a good 12-18" behind the line... and he launches the ball 10' down the lane so ball didn't just roll past it. Nobody could figure out why it tripped.
    Sometimes the ball does trip the (Infrared) sensor, the foul light has control circuit which includes an 80 ms timer to distinguish ball passage.
    For the most part the ball travels through the beam too fast for it to register, where as a foot is in the beam longer and trips the buzzer .

Sometimes if the lenses are misaligned you can set off the foul lights without crossing the line, also if the vibration protection isn't working good.

Since from your description the ball didn't roll through the beam and his foot wasn't close it's either the lenses or the vibration that set if off.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-29-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I don't doubt they get misaligned frequently. Many people smack the end caps where the sensors are with bowling balls or kick them on a regular basis. Some people even take face plants on them. Oh wait, that was me. It's no shock they frequently malfunction

Pin Crusher

mx when you throw like your friend it is called a technical foul...

Now tell me how the belt at the super market knows whew to stop?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post

Same principal. When something breaks the beam it shuts down the drive motor and of course the on/off switch if nothing is on it

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post

I never said he was my friend! lol

Sorry, the mechanic was out ill today so I did not get an official answer to the OP just yet but I will asap but I think between what Bowl and I already said were probably right.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Sorry, the mechanic was out ill today so I did not get an official answer to the OP just yet but I will asap but I think between what Bowl and I already said were probably right.
    I'm sure you guys are right. I never thought about it having a time limit before it would trip but it makes total sense.