Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    They do make it look easy don't they. I haven't tried it yet but I will be. Right now I have other issues to work on first before I worry about trying to change my release.
    I once heard it said that there are 20 different issues involved in bowling. 19 of them account for 50% of your success. The other 50% result from your release. You might keep this in mind as you are trying to figure out what to worry about... just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    "Cupping" is another carryover from the old days that is simply not true anymore. While some bowlers (Chris Barnes, for example) choose to use a cupped position up until unloading and reloading, others are never cupped until the reload. Check out U Tube Videos of David Haynes, long time Team USA member. He starts with a broken wrist and has about as many revs as you are going to see.
    This idea of a “reload” tells me that I might have it all wrong.

Is the arm supposed to slow slightly, to allow the wrist to cock, and then immediately release at the bottom of the swing?

That sounds like WAY more than I can easily adapt to, while still getting the hang of timing...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Work the inside of the ball, yo-yo release, Load, unload, reload, cupped, uncupped, cup of coffee

IMO the modern release stuff is a lot to take in if your just trying to get back in or starting out. Because it sounds like all these wrist actions you have to make and positions for generating a lot of power/revs on the ball.

I say start off simple and work your way up, Unless your a young kid then get a coach and learn how to really rip the snot out of a ball.

Note: Getting a coach is a good idea at any age, there's only so much that you can get from the internet. Bowling is a hands on thing and having someone there to help with adjustments on the fly with another pair of eyes is more helpful.

here's a video that shows some basic releases, Look at the one he calls the contemporary release (Note other videos might not call it that).

Start there and don't worry about all the loading, cupping etc for the moment. Just get the ball in your hand, release at the right time, project the ball down the lane and let your let fingers come through the ball basically like a cog on gear.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Thank you for posting this question Grumpy. This brought up a good deal of helpful information to check out. That is why this forum is so great. You don't have to be the one posting to reap the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    Thank you for posting this question Grumpy. This brought up a good deal of helpful information to check out. That is why this forum is so great. You don't have to be the one posting to reap the benefits.
    Always happy to share my confusion with strangers lol. Since starting to bowl seriously a few months ago, I've discovered how very little I actually understand about the sport.

That's why I love this board - I've already learned far more than I could have hoped for.

I'm back after a 15 year hiatus. I'm 51 could never "crank" the ball. I'm a straight up the second arrow bowler. But I would like to learn the modern release.

A lot of info regarding these release seems very contradictory. I was watching Eileen's training videos and how he describes the release. He seems to show and describe a straight up the back release. But that is going to rev the ball straight forward?

Then people give links showing modern pros releasing in slow motion and none of them release straight up the back. Every single one of them shows them flick their fingers across the ball (somewhat towards the far gutter) to generate revs and an axis angle the is not straight at the pins. Which makes sense if you want the ball to hook the ball.

Yes they cup and uncup their wrist at release. Some have it cupped the whole time and others do it at the top and others right before uncupping. Some even bend at the elbow and straighten it at the same time they uncup!

Wow...and I thought these boards actually had some posters.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Forget the modern release and just buy a ball that will hook a lot on its own. Play the 2nd arrow you say you always have. The new release is for people who don't have 51 year old elbows, shoulders and wrists. Your approach would have to be redone. Timing adjusted and there is no guarantee you will ever learn it.
    As to these boards actually having posters you have to ask non technical stuff like what is your all time favorite color ball.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Forget the modern release and just buy a ball that will hook a lot on its own. Play the 2nd arrow you say you always have. The new release is for people who don't have 51 year old elbows, shoulders and wrists. Your approach would have to be redone. Timing adjusted and there is no guarantee you will ever learn it.
    Nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    As to these boards actually having posters you have to ask non technical stuff like what is your all time favorite color ball.
    Thanks for the reply. It seems like the modern release might actually be easier on the body if you're doing it right. Right now I'm heaving (muscling) the ball down the lane with a very low back swing.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast