Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Forget the modern release and just buy a ball that will hook a lot on its own. Play the 2nd arrow you say you always have. The new release is for people who don't have 51 year old elbows, shoulders and wrists. Your approach would have to be redone. Timing adjusted and there is no guarantee you will ever learn it.
    As to these boards actually having posters you have to ask non technical stuff like what is your all time favorite color ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Nonsense!
    Agree with Rob. Absolute nonsense.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Tried doing the 'elbow in' thing at practice today. I think I was pinning my arm to my side, overdoing it. Probably just need to relax more.

Does the backswing necessarily involve hanging the ball out to the side, fingers pointed to the next lane? Or are the fingers pointed down/in at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Tried doing the 'elbow in' thing at practice today. I think I was pinning my arm to my side, overdoing it. Probably just need to relax more.

Does the backswing necessarily involve hanging the ball out to the side, fingers pointed to the next lane? Or are the fingers pointed down/in at that point?
    From what I've seen you can do it both ways. Some have their hand more inside up top (fingers facing the next lane as you say) and some are straight back (fingers pointing down).

In practice it's easier for me to get a higher backswing if I turn my hand inside and open up my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    From what I've seen you can do it both ways. Some have their hand more inside up top (fingers facing the next lane as you say) and some are straight back (fingers pointing down).

In practice it's easier for me to get a higher backswing if I turn my hand inside and open up my shoulders.
    Hard to imagine how I could stay consistent, while swinging my shoulders open, though.. that’s a big part of my problems currently.

I also have issues with footwork, and getting my body twisted at release. Long road ahead.

Chats: 0

Grumpycatface and Astropin, you guys may wanna post a video of yourselves if you have the means. Maybe we can give you some assistance on whichever release your doing or trying to do. Video does wonders in that regard among other things. Just a suggestion.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Before you worry about the particulars of a modern release, you need to work on three simple things:getting away from late timing, increasing the time between when the thumb exits the ball and when the fingers exit, and learning to roll the ball to let it hook rather than throwing it to make it hook. Last year during Nationals in Vegas I gave a lot of lessons to mid to high average bowlers who wanted to increase power, hook, and carry. In every single case, bowlers were able to see an increase in rev rate and ball motion after just one lesson focusing on these three things.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Before you worry about the particulars of a modern release, you need to work on three simple things:getting away from late timing, increasing the time between when the thumb exits the ball and when the fingers exit, and learning to roll the ball to let it hook rather than throwing it to make it hook. Last year during Nationals in Vegas I gave a lot of lessons to mid to high average bowlers who wanted to increase power, hook, and carry. In every single case, bowlers were able to see an increase in rev rate and ball motion after just one lesson focusing on these three things.
    Yeah. As much as I would like to get good with this new release I am still working on the fundamentals like you mentioned. Once I get that down then I can try new things. If your timing is off and you learn something new then you will have learned how to do something new the wrong way

Could you explain a little about the combination of 'earlier timing', and 'increasing the time between thumb and fingers'? Those seem to contradict...

If the ball gets there sooner, then how would I make more time for the fingers?

and learning to roll the ball to let it hook rather than throwing it to make it hook.
    That's probably my biggest issue. I have a very low (waist high) backswing and I rush to the line from the back dots in four steps and heave the ball down the 2nd arrow at 16-18mph. So much to work on and no coaches (I'm in a small town surrounded by more small towns...nearest good coach would be 2.5hr drive one way. So it's videos and reading for me. I would like a much higher (at least shoulder high) backswing...and let gravity do the work for me. That would also help free up another issue I have...gripping the ball way too hard. Gave myself tendonitis that I'm still dealing with from that. I just had all my balls (3) switched to removable thumb socket grips and the better fit will help also.

What do we think of Eileen's Ball Rev trainer and swing trainer? I was thinking about making my own Rev Trainer out of a 2" thick cutting board and 1" roller ball bearings. Can make my own for about $50 vs Eileen's $95.

I plan to train, train, train this summer and come back next fall with a whole new approach and release. I know I won't be good at that point...but hopefully good enough to be willing to stick with it and continue to work on it throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Could you explain a little about the combination of 'earlier timing', and 'increasing the time between thumb and fingers'? Those seem to contradict...

If the ball gets there sooner, then how would I make more time for the fingers?
    I'm going to assume that "early timing" means the ball coming through before you have finished your slide. Increase the time between the thumb and fingers by learning to roll the ball off your hand with your hand behind the ball. That allows the thumb to clear first (and easier I might add) and then just follow through with your fingers (don't try to "lift" the ball up the side like most of us did...and I still do at the moment). And please correct me if I'm wrong...but that's what I'm gathering from what I've read so far and watched on YouTube.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast