Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

Most bowlers who learned to bowl, or were taught to bowl by someone who learned before the modern era, use timing that is too late to incorporate into a modern release. Think of it this way; if you get to the line before your ball does, you have no option other than to pull the ball to try to get it to catch up to you. When you are pulling the ball that is behind you, it is impossible to stay behind the ball. Your only option is to come around it. For a modern release, the optimum timing is neutral: the ball gets to the line at the same time as the bowler, so that the release pushes through the ball. To achieve this timing, practice one-step drills and feel the slide start as the backswing starts forward. Most of you will probably find that you are used to starting the slide way before the ball starts down from the top of the backswing.

More later.

Hmmm. I don’t think that’s me. I’ve gotten used to stretching out, and putting the top of my backswing on the third step.

I might be doing it right already, but it’s very hard to know.

I do know that I have a very low rev rate though, and my speed is around 16 mph. I get a lot more hook when I slow it to around 14, but it’s difficult for me to do that.

Tried a higher backswing tonight and was able to do it pretty well with decent timing. It was clocking my ball at 15mph at the pins which is right were I'd like to be. Of course my release was **** so my shot was all over the place and I threw a 111. On top of the that 111 was the very first score drawn on our random drawing so I won $32 but also had the entire league congratulating me on a 111 : (

Okay, I promised more later as I have a pinched nerve in my neck that makes typing very painful.

As I said, once you get your timing to a neutral position, you need to work on increasing your release timing: the time between when the thumb exits and when the fingers exit. You do this by making sure that your follow through goes towards the pins rather than towards the ceiling. The fingers stay in the ball for as long as possible as your roll the ball and extend toward the pins. Your follow through should never get more than an inch or two above your shoulders. Take a look a Dom Barrett, Stu Williams, Michael Fagan, and even Chris Barnes to see what I'm talking about.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Okay, I promised more later as I have a pinched nerve in my neck that makes typing very painful.

As I said, once you get your timing to a neutral position, you need to work on increasing your release timing: the time between when the thumb exits and when the fingers exit. You do this by making sure that your follow through goes towards the pins rather than towards the ceiling. The fingers stay in the ball for as long as possible as your roll the ball and extend toward the pins. Your follow through should never get more than an inch or two above your shoulders. Take a look a Dom Barrett, Stu Williams, Michael Fagan, and even Chris Barnes to see what I'm talking about.
    Didn’t realize there was any issue with finishing high. Found it keeps me from coming across my body

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Didn’t realize there was any issue with finishing high. Found it keeps me from coming across my body
    Watch Michael Fagan and Diana Zavralova; both follow throughs cross in from of their bodies. Finishing high encourages "lifting." Lifting is not a good thing in modern bowling.

High Roller

I have noticed with some of the newer bowlers their arm will cross towards the center of their body then back out. Almost like a half circular motion.

What is the benefit of the modern release? More revs? Anything else?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

Is the modern release something that Mika, Pete, Norm and Walter will be trying soon? I can just picture Brian Voss bowling that way.

Well, I was told both here, and by another bowler, to keep my arm straight and “reach for the pins” after delivery. This did increase my accuracy on spare shots, but I haven’t figured out how to incorporate this with “rolling the ball” off my fingers, to create a hook.

I’m beginning to wonder if the problem is with my ball drilling... the PSO didn’t really ask me, and just gave me a “standard drilling” with the pin below and to the right of my ring finger. Isn’t it more effective with the pin “up”?

Or is this still just a timing issue on my part?

I should also mention that I have a rather difficult time cupping the ball. I have to really pull with my thumb to keep it there, as it doesn’t feel like it’s in the ball far enough to “palm” it.

My plan for this is to try another PSO for my new urethane from this lovely site, and see which one feels better.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast