Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

As is so often the case, a thread that starts out discussing the modern release, ends up with bowlers talking about the specifics of their own releases.

The simple fact of the matter is that if you put in the dedication and hard work to learn the modern release, all of these discussion become pointless. When your timing is neutral, you keep your hand behind the ball, you increase your release timing and push through the ball to roll it rather than throw it, you will be able to change your starting position as well as your finishing position to manipulate your axis tilt and rotation.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

OK we should all change everything we do and be robots. How do you know this person isn't handicapped? grumpycatface?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    OK we should all change everything we do and be robots. How do you know this person isn't handicapped? grumpycatface?
    You missed the point! I'm saying that by ignoring all of the changes involved in modern bowling; synthetic lanes, reactive resin bowling balls, etc., you ARE robots doing what you've always done. Change is hard. Change is scary. In terms of bowling, change is mandatory! I don't know if a person is handicapped, however I have coached enough bowlers with disabilities to know that there is always a way. By the way, I am a retired Special Education Teacher. Please don't lecture me about individuals with handicaps.

I’m not handicapped - at least not physically. I’m just having a hard time learning the game at a higher level. It will come.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

No offence meant catface. Just all this new stuff is getting carried away. Look at the young people they can't add up a recap sheet with out a calculator. They can't read handwriting . They can't read a map. Ask them which end of the house they parked on north or south and their eyes glaze over. Everyone I see has a cell phone they look at every 2 minutes. They act like they can't live without facebook?
    Every thing old isn't bad.

[QUOTE=RobLV1;166942you will be able to change your starting position as well as your finishing position to manipulate your axis tilt and rotation.[/QUOTE]

What does that mean? I bowled last night. Kept trying "the modern release". Came through with my hand behind the ball....got good speed but almost no hook. Ball went nearly straight down the lane. Clearly my fingers were just following my thumb. So how do you get the proper axis tilt and rotation on the ball at release?

I would try to quickly rotate my wrist at release but I must have been late.

What is the actual time gap between thumb leaving and fingers leaving?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    No offence meant catface. Just all this new stuff is getting carried away. Look at the young people they can't add up a recap sheet with out a calculator. They can't read handwriting . They can't read a map. Ask them which end of the house they parked on north or south and their eyes glaze over. Everyone I see has a cell phone they look at every 2 minutes. They act like they can't live without facebook?
    Every thing old isn't bad.
    Okay, I think we're getting off topic here.

The thread is about what constitutes the "Modern Release", Not the state of today's youth.

Yes everything old isn't bad, But it isn't necessarily the best or the most effective way to do something with the equipment and conditions we have today.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    What does that mean? I bowled last night. Kept trying "the modern release". Came through with my hand behind the ball....got good speed but almost no hook. Ball went nearly straight down the lane. Clearly my fingers were just following my thumb. So how do you get the proper axis tilt and rotation on the ball at release?

I would try to quickly rotate my wrist at release but I must have been late.

What is the actual time gap between thumb leaving and fingers leaving?
    The key to your problem comes with the word "quickly". The whole idea of the modern release is to "unload" before the start of the release. This breaking of the wrist results in the thumb pointing downward, letting gravity take the ball off of the thumb. As the wrist remains broken for as long as possible, much like a yo-yo that is "walking the dog", the wrist rotates slowly through the ball, not around it. At the very end of the release, the wrist reloads as the follow through goes out toward the pins. The starting position at the beginning of the release, as well as the ending position at the end of the release will determine the axis tilt and rotation. The bottom line is to stop trying to make the ball hook and learn to let it hook.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The key to your problem comes with the word "quickly". The whole idea of the modern release is to "unload" before the start of the release. This breaking of the wrist results in the thumb pointing downward, letting gravity take the ball off of the thumb. As the wrist remains broken for as long as possible, much like a yo-yo that is "walking the dog", the wrist rotates slowly through the ball, not around it. At the very end of the release, the wrist reloads as the follow through goes out toward the pins. The starting position at the beginning of the release, as well as the ending position at the end of the release will determine the axis tilt and rotation. The bottom line is to stop trying to make the ball hook and learn to let it hook.
    Guess I'm just not grasping it. No way for me to get hands on coaching either...none around. What is the difference between "rotating through" and "rotating around" I feel like "through" is what I was doing and the ball was going nearly dead straight down the lane. Occasionally I was hooking the ball...but occasionally was when I came around the side like my old release...which also tends to stick to my thumb more.

Reminded me of how I throw my spare ball. Broken wrist palm facing flat at my target...ball goes dead straight.

When I watch the slow motion videos of the pros release their fingers definitely put rotation (revs) on the ball that is angled towards the opposite gutter (left gutter if they are right handed)...all of them.
    Last edited by Astropin; 04-14-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    Guess I'm just not grasping it. No way for me to get hands on coaching either...none around. What is the difference between "rotating through" and "rotating around" I feel like "through" is what I was doing and the ball was going nearly dead straight down the lane. Occasionally I was hooking the ball...but occasionally was when I came around the side like my old release...which also tends to stick to my thumb more.

Reminded me of how I throw my spare ball. Broken wrist palm facing flat at my target...ball goes dead straight.

When I watch the slow motion videos of the pros release their fingers definitely put rotation (revs) on the ball that is angled towards the opposite gutter (left gutter if they are right handed)...all of them.
    I'll take a stab at it.

The image is a bit crude but...
    If your fingers are coming straight up the back of the ball like the Blue line. The ball will basically go dead straight.

If your fingers are following the the Red line. Your coming around the ball, your hand isn't particularly staying behind the ball and it's like your trying to spin it (the ring finger is more or less following the middle finger) to make it hook.

The green line is more like what you want, The hand is behind the ball with it rolling forward off your fingers, with the ball turning your hand not your hand turning the ball.

in this video they talk about "rotating through" vs "rotating around"

Last edited by bowl1820; 04-14-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast