Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

Default Modern Release??

I have questions about the 'modern release'. I'm a new bowler - at least in taking it seriously - and, I'm seeing conflicting advice on here about the way to play a hook correctly.

I've seen the videos of Marshall Holman, and others, using a release that looks like their hand is on the outside of the ball, then sort of following through that way, keeping the fingers in for as long as possible. This looks like that "suitcase" release.

At the same time, a lot of the advice on release seems to involve 'staying behind' the ball. This would be quite different from the above, and fits with the classic advice to roll it off the fingers like an underhand football toss (which I understand well).

Which of these is actually the Modern Release then? Have I misunderstood the entire concept (highly likely)?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I have questions about the 'modern release'. I'm a new bowler - at least in taking it seriously - and, I'm seeing conflicting advice on here about the way to play a hook correctly.

I've seen the videos of Marshall Holman, and others, using a release that looks like their hand is on the outside of the ball, then sort of following through that way, keeping the fingers in for as long as possible. This looks like that "suitcase" release.

At the same time, a lot of the advice on release seems to involve 'staying behind' the ball. This would be quite different from the above, and fits with the classic advice to roll it off the fingers like an underhand football toss (which I understand well).

Which of these is actually the Modern Release then? Have I misunderstood the entire concept (highly likely)?
    Marshall Holman was in his prime about 40 years ago. While he and Mark Roth were considered radically different from the older pros like Dick Weber and Don Johnson, He did not use a "modern release". For Modern you need to look at guys like Bill O'Neill, Mike Fagan, and E.J. Tackett.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Marshall Holman was in his prime about 40 years ago. While he and Mark Roth were considered radically different from the older pros like Dick Weber and Don Johnson, He did not use a "modern release". For Modern you need to look at guys like Bill O'Neill, Mike Fagan, and E.J. Tackett.
    I don't believe that this is entirely true. While Marshall Holman was bowling 40 years ago, there were some components of his release and delivery that were definite precursors to the modern release. I often tell bowlers to watch old U Tube videos of Marshall vs. Mark Roth, to begin to understand some of the fundamental differences that took bowling in two very different directions. Bowlers are fascinated, thanks in part to Randy Pedersen commentary on modern bowlers "working the inside of the ball." While this is certainly part of it, it's not the whole deal. Two of the biggest differences between Holman and Roth are in the timing of the approach, and the release timing. Roth was very late, running to the line, planting and ripping his thumb and fingers out of the ball as quickly as possible. Holman began his release as he was still sliding, resulting in more neutral timing and a much longer time between the exit of the thumb and the exit of the fingers. Watch videos of Michael Fagan to see what I'm talking about.

In a nutshell, modern bowlers roll the ball; traditional bowlers throw the ball. Modern bowlers turn their hand through the ball; traditional bowlers turn their hand around the ball. Bottom line is that modern bowlers "let" the ball hook, while traditional bowlers "make" the ball hook.

Wow, looking at those three, I'm nowhere near either release lol

I guess I'm bowling almost a straight ball then. Back to the drawing board.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Not sure I can do that release effectively? Seems there would be too much room for inconsistency for me. Obviously guys make it work. I will have to give it a try. My thoughts have always been that consistency is key so I have tried to keep it as simple as I can. My release seems to be more like Marshall Holman. When I release my fingers are at about the 7:00 position (lefty) and I just follow straight through.

EDIT: Not in a flattering way. Just that my hand seems to follow the back of the ball more. Or maybe not. Just always seemed to me I just had a simple, easy release. This is how I bowled 15 years ago before I quit. And pay no attention to my approach and hop...lol. Still working on that.

Is this something that is that easy to change? What are the benefits? Seems like more revs. Is it worth changing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCCxqR6Lm8
    Last edited by boatman37; 03-30-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Here is a video Bowl1820 posted a few weeks ago about the modern release. I found it much easier to understand after watching it. Just mute it unless you can speak the Asian languages, it has subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=T_UItdMQK4w
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Here is a video Bowl1820 posted a few weeks ago about the modern release. I found it much easier to understand after watching it. Just mute it unless you can speak the Asian languages, it has subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=T_UItdMQK4w
    Now that's interesting... Those kids look like they aren't cupping until right before the release.

I usually find that I can't keep it 'cupped' for that long though. The top of the backswing is easy, of course, but when the ball gets to my back leg, it starts getting rather heavy.

Now that's interesting... Those kids look like they aren't cupping until right before the release.

I usually find that I can't keep it 'cupped' for that long though. The top of the backswing is easy, of course, but when the ball gets to my back leg, it starts getting rather heavy.
    "Cupping" is another carryover from the old days that is simply not true anymore. While some bowlers (Chris Barnes, for example) choose to use a cupped position up until unloading and reloading, others are never cupped until the reload. Check out U Tube Videos of David Haynes, long time Team USA member. He starts with a broken wrist and has about as many revs as you are going to see.

Pin Crusher

Wow I can get plenty of rev's but could never get that high back swing. Not with ems standing by.

They do make it look easy don't they. I haven't tried it yet but I will be. Right now I have other issues to work on first before I worry about trying to change my release.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast