Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Well, I was told both here, and by another bowler, to keep my arm straight and “reach for the pins” after delivery. This did increase my accuracy on spare shots, but I haven’t figured out how to incorporate this with “rolling the ball” off my fingers, to create a hook.

I’m beginning to wonder if the problem is with my ball drilling... the PSO didn’t really ask me, and just gave me a “standard drilling” with the pin below and to the right of my ring finger. Isn’t it more effective with the pin “up”?

Or is this still just a timing issue on my part?
    If this was your first ball, the driller isn’t going to worry about finding your PAP, since you would not really have one until you have a ball that fits you. When you go to get your new ball drilled, whoever drills it should get a PAP off your first ball.

Getting a consistent release, whether it’s old school or modern, is hard to do if your timing is off. I believe that Mark Baker has said that with most of his students, by the time he fixes their timing, the release fixes itself.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Is the modern release something that Mika, Pete, Norm and Walter will be trying soon? I can just picture Brian Voss bowling that way.
    With the exception of Pete who worked for three straight years in the nineties to find a release that would work with modern reactive bowling balls, none of these bowlers are still competitive at the highest levels. Do you really think that that trying to become as talented as these bowling legends will be easier than trying to develop a modern release? Classic avoidance!

Chats: 0

I am 71 years old and have no trouble using the modern release. When I am on the approach I open up my shoulders and have the palm of my left hand facing upwards with a straight wrist and the ball between my shoulder and my chin. When I start my 5 step approach I push the ball out a little and let it drop into the back swing. When the ball gets to the top I have my palm facing away from me. This helps to keep me from turning early in the release area. Plus at the top of my back swing my balance arm is in front of me thumb down. I don't muscle the ball down I just let it drop and have a light grip on the ball. When I get to the release area my thumb comes out quickly and the weight of the ball drops onto my fingers. When I feel that happen I make an aggressive pass through the back of the ball rolling the ball onto the alley. Ever since I got used to doing the modern swing and release I can't believe how easy it is to get good revs without trying to make revs happen. Now I just let them happen. I can have the arch of my slide foot on board 32 and have a breakpoint of between boards 4 to 9 and my ball has no trouble getting to the pocket from there. By the way this is on the THS pattern and I am left handed. Also I don't let my ball hand hold the weight of the ball I support it with my right hand.
    Last edited by Hammer; 04-11-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Congratulations on working on your game without arbitrarily deciding that change is just too hard! My hat's off to you.

I'm working on this release almost daily at home. Built my own version of the "Rev-Release Trainer" and I can also practice a full approach and release in my basement...I have one attachment for my bowling shoe that slides very similar on my basement carpet as does my normal pad at the lanes. So I can do the full approach and release. Great for working on timing but unfortunately the carpet does not give me any real indication on my revs.

So I practice on the rev trainer...practice standing release's and then a full approach release. It's going to take time. The hardest part (for me) is the wrist break and projecting the ball onto the lane instead of lifting. I've discovered while working on this that finishing with my palm facing the pins seems to help. It helps remind me to make a quick flick with my fingers once the thumb has come out.

Now that I've got my thumb hole sized right I've noticed something else. If I do my old release (hand lifting up the outside of the ball) my thumb tends to stick...or at the very least I can feel it rub my thumb on exit. If I do the new release with my hand behind the ball and my wrist breaking my thumb comes right out. So I have a nice indicator on my hand position when my thumb comes out. If I felt it or if it sticks I'm doing it wrong.

Also...what appears to be a free article on Bowling this month about the modern release - https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bow...pe=freeArticle
    Last edited by Astropin; 04-12-2018 at 05:14 PM.

High Roller

After reading that article it makes a little more sense. My son raced karts for about 10 years against current pro drivers. We were in it pretty big. Anyway, one of the driving schools he went to talked about tire grip. A tire can only have 100% grip that can be divided up into different directions. If you are in a straight line then you have 100% force going one direction. If you are turning and braking then you might have 70% turning and 30% braking. I you go past that 100% (hypothetically speaking) then you have a problem.
    Every once in awhile I pull the ball and hit way high. Every time this happens I notice my speed is quite a bit higher than normal. What I 'think' is happening is I am turning my wrist too far to the side and trying to 'steer' the ball. Because I am not getting any lift it has more speed? Sound plausible? I have definitely got better with this. A couple months ago this happened about 60% of the time. Now it's more like 5% of the time. My normal release my fingers are at about the 7:00 position on my ball (left handed).

The last 2 weeks my average is 190.6. For the year (42 games) it's 174 so definitely an improvement even though it's a small sample size.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

Mine are at 7:00 but I am right handed. Ancient release..

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Mine are at 7:00 but I am right handed. Ancient release..
    On my downswing (right at my knee) my fingers are at about 5:00 and thumb at about between 11:00 and 12:00 but at the point my thumb is out and fingers about to come out my fingers are at about 7:00 so I must have a slight clockwise rotation between the lowest of my downswing and my release.

I have been practicing my approach at home once in awhile. Wife thinks I'm nuts but that's nothing new...lol. Trying to get my timing a little better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCCxqR6Lm8
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

I would hate to have the restriction of a certain grip and release point. I can go from 8-9 to 3-4 it all depends on the lane conditions. I never decide until after practice and then change all through the night. It would be nice to be able to play the same line and shot all night long.

Going by your video your your thumb is out...fingers still in at about 8:00-8:30. (I'm a lefty also).

I'd like my thumb to come out at 12ish and have my fingers out around 9 or so. Which is why I like my palm facing the pins at finish. Reminds me to make a quick turn of the fingers (wrist) after the thumb has come out. This all happens so quickly though that it's going to take time to get it all put together in a consistent release (muscle memory). I've also been toying with a bent elbow. Cupping my wrist at the top and a slight bend in my elbow on the way down. Now it's just a matter of getting all the timing down at release.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast