Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Modern Release??

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    Try looking at this thread below Astropin, Bowl just updated it. This is the video I watched to understand the modern release. It may have been posted elsewhere in this thread already but I'm too lazy to look through 7 pages to find out. I would think this would answer your question. I'm not sure how computer savvy you are but since you're lefty you can horizontally flip this video to make it lefty like I did to make Boatman righty in one of his videos as a joke. That may help so you can see it from your perspective.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-Lowdown-learn
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Oh...great video, thanks! I will study that and try some of the steps. Clearly there is a transition from "behind the ball" to the hand coming through more on the "outside" of the ball...just as I surmised.

From what I can put together maximum revs would be generated by not only being behind the ball but actually being "inside" the ball. In addition to cupping and then breaking the wrist you can also add in bending the elbow. So you transition from bent elbow and cupped (and even cocked to the inside) to straightening the elbow and uncupping (actually breaking) the wrist and uncocking as well. You also simultaneously transition from behind (or even inside) the ball to more outside the ball as your fingers travel through to release.

So cupped to uncupped and behind to a little outside will work. It you want maximum revs you also bend at the elbow, come from inside the ball and in addition to cupping the ball you can also cock the wrist to the inside. If you can put that all together you can impart some impressive revs (or you can just bowl two-handed )

I’ve had the same problem as previous posters - probably taking it a bit too literally to “go through the ball”, and getting zero revs.
    Seems that it’s probably somewhere in the middle that’s best.

If you think about it there is only one thing that generates revs...your fingers. The longer they stay in the ball after your thumb leaves and the faster they move through the ball before leaving the more revs you generate. Which is why two-handers have a natural rev advantage...same with the no-thumb one handers. They maximize their time and distance to generate revolutions.

Well, I could certainly roll harder with the fingers, but that would be “lifting”, which seems to be bad? I’m not sure why that is exactly...

Does that refer to actually lifting the ball, or moving the hand upward?

Also, how could one ever be accurate pulling to the side on release, unless the actual throw was off target?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Well, I could certainly roll harder with the fingers, but that would be “lifting”, which seems to be bad? I’m not sure why that is exactly...

That's why they describe it as through the ball. You're not lifting...simply adding revolutions with the follow through.

Also, how could one ever be accurate pulling to the side on release, unless the actual throw was off target?
    Not pulling to the side. Just following through with a curvature motion. The ball is going to follow the path of your arm swing...adding angled revolutions is not enough to alter its initial path.

Again...I'm not the expert...this is just my analysis of what I'm seeing in the videos.
    Last edited by Astropin; 04-16-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The old "lift" release for the most part involved snapping the wrist and fingers upward at the last moment (aka: Hitting up on the ball) while releasing the ball on the upswing.

A crude analogy would be to take a soup can and hold it like a ball, Kneel down and swing it beside you like a bowling ball. Right as it passes your ankle and starts up, flip the can off the tips of your fingers. The can will arc up some and drop in front of you and roll off. That's basically lift.

You had to use lift in the pre urethane days (Rubber, Plastic) because the balls were low friction, didn't have dynamic cores and you had to make the ball hook it wouldn't do it itself.

With today's balls, They have high friction surfaces and dynamic cores. They don't need the extra help of lift to make them hook, While you still could put lift on a ball and make it hook just that much more. It makes them over react, which can get you into trouble as the conditions change, plus it wastes energy etc

Today it's about projection down the lane, using the same crude analogy. Right when the can gets to your ankle release it and let it roll off your hand and fingers as you push it across the floor in front of you. The can doesn't arc into the air (wasting energy) and it goes rolling off.
    Yes there's more too it than that, this is just trying to give you a visual.

As Astropin said The ball is going to follow the path of your arm swing, your not pulling the ball to the side.

Maybe Coach Joe Slowinski doing the fouline drill is a better visual:

or Norm Duke demoing the release drill..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4NMuITGuGY

another is Bill Hall doing the release drill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4NMuITGuGY
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

So we cant use the underhand football pass any more. One other thing can you use the modern release without laying in down on the floor. Some of us are past the getting the ball down to our ankle.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    So we cant use the underhand football pass any more.
    Yes you can still use it.

The underhand football drill is about hand position and rotation, Not Lift vs Not Lifting.

For those that don't know the football drill.

One other thing can you use the modern release without laying in down on the floor. Some of us are past the getting the ball down to our ankle.
    Yes, If you have knee problems and can't get real low, you do the best you can.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I would add this. The modern release is all about maximizing the energy you put into the ball at release. How you follow through with your fingers will dictate both the speed and direction of the revolutions you impart. If you come straight up the back with no arc then your ball is going to go straighter with maximum speed. If you curve the path of your fingers on release it angles the revolutions away from the pins which would slightly slow down your ball as it travels down the lane but will impart more hook.

The energy you transfer into the ball has to go somewhere. If the revolutions are straight at the pins then the energy all goes towards speed. As you rotate your fingers more and more you put more and more of that energy into the balls hooking potential and reduce some of the speed.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast