Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AS PROMISED! AMF 8270 My video

Chats: 0

Default AS PROMISED! AMF 8270 My video

So here it is folks, I finally took this today and hopefully it will answer many of your questions on how these things work. I'm sure you will have more but this should be a place to start, I tried to be thorough. So here go you, the AMF 8270 explained in action.

P.S. Please ignore my speech impediment, thanks

For those of you who take the time to watch it please let me know what you thought. If there was something I didn't show and you'd like to see let me know. Upcoming video's are going to be in depth on the lane oiler and automatic scoring / ball speed system.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 04-01-2018 at 12:44 AM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    So here it is folks, I finally took this today and hopefully it will answer many of your questions on how these things work. I'm sure you will have more but this should be a place to start, I tried to be thorough. So here go you, the AMF 8270 explained in action.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=mhQSef00NBQ

P.S. Please ignore my speech impediment, thanks
    You posted the wrong link, it should be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhQSef00NBQ

reference material:
    AMF 82-70 Parts catalog

http://mcbowling.com/manuals/amf/8270parts.pdf
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-01-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks Bowl, I fixed it. My others as well. Easy fix.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Well done Phoney!
    I enjoyed seeing all of that stuff. Since you changed out brushes on the motor, I guess they're DC motors. Based on the size of them they're probably 3 to 5 Hp. There must be some power supply for them. The place you're at looks pretty clean! Nice! Some of the places I've bowled at around the area, the balls come back to you with all kinds of dirt and grime on them. When I get home, I take out the gear I've used that night and have to clean them for way too long; however, the house I usually bowl at leaves very little dirt or grime on my gear which makes my life a bit easier to handle. One fellow said that there are wheels that get the ball picked up out of the pit. Maybe they're after that sock thing you showed. He mentioned that most standard ball wheels are made of rubber or something, but the better equipped pin setters will use urethane wheels which tend to keep things a lot cleaner.
    Since I dealt with lots of different types of machinery builders over the years when I worked for a living, your video was very interesting. The machinery I got to see were completely automated ones that were machine tools, packaging machines, textile machines, plastic bag makers, paper converting and wood cutting / routers. I even got to help some folks making big heavy duty hybrid vehicles. It was always fun to help machine designers make their machines work better and solve automation issues that they had to deal with.
    Looks like you've learned a lot and have retained what you've learned, too. All those switches actuated by cams are pretty neat... Good luck! Stay safe back there!

Thanks Djp, actually the motors are only 1/3 hp, a lot smaller than I would have guessed too. The brushes are a breeze the change, they remind me of oversized zippo flints. There is 4 in each motor and they last only about a year. It's easy to tell when they need to be changed, the table will start getting jerky when it comes up to the rest position at the top. Once it does that you have about a week left before they fail completely and the table will slowly fall down over night. That's why we write the date on them so we know to start watching them closely.

I've learned a lot so far yeah but I probably know less than the main mechanic has forgotten at this point. I know enough to where the employees and manager can depend on me to fix most thing when the mechanic is off. Having a great instructor is the key. I plan on getting a video doing an interview with him too. He was out sick yesterday or I'd have done it. In that shop I took you in, he could name every part and probably the part number in the place. Oh and that "Sock" the ball goes through get changed out once a week, every Monday. We have 3 sets of them. After 1 week you can literally ring the oil out of them. They don't look like they do much but I wouldn't want to see how the balls came back without them.

I just hope my video was more thorough than any you find about them on youtube
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

Pretty cool. Thanks for posting!

SandBagger

I am permitted to walk in the machine area at my center, so I can (if I want) watch them in action. I've only gone back twice, however. I generally prefer bowling instead.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Ringer

Very informative Phonetek. Much more detailed than many videos Imhave seen. Pretty nice to know what is going on behind the scenes

Thanks for taking the time to produce and post the video Phonetek, well done.

I'd be interested in knowing how things go wrong, like when a ball doesn't come back, and when it does it's all messed up with gouges and belt marks etc.

Thanks again!

Well the belt marks happen when the ball lift belt gets too oil soaked and it causes the ball to go up and down a multiple times before it catches so it will leave the residue on the ball. Gouges happen if the ball door screw is sticking out too far or if a screw or other part had been sheered off or fell out and is sitting rolling around in the pit. If your ball gets damaged there IS a problem somewhere with the equipment or something is worn and should be reported to the counter so it can be looked into. That said, if you threw a gutter ball and it comes back gouged that's a different story.

BTW: Thank you all for the compliments on the video. I'm glad I was able to provide you guys some insight on the machines. If there are any further questions I will be happy to go back again and take more. I really enjoyed doing it.
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast