Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball damage explained

Chats: 0

Default Ball damage explained

Today I found a note written to me by my mechanic because I inquired. Here is what he says. Mind you he's a veteran mechanic with decades of experience and he took the time to write this for me to answer the question specifically for this forum.

Ball Damage

1. Circular or arc scratches
    a. These happen inside the ball door from an incorrect or loose screw
    b. The also happen inside the front return from foreign objects being inside

2. Straight scratches or gouges
    a. Anywhere in ball travel
    *gutters
    *flat gutters
    *pin deck is either higher or lower than end of lane
    *contact with machine
    *debris stuck to curtain / cushsion
    *contact with underlane
    *front ball return
    *hitting kickbacks X2
    *foreign matter (nuts, bolts, screws etc)

3. Synthetic Lanes Only
    *Contact with foul lines
    *Contact with lane joints
    *Lane dots (plugs that aren't flush)

Keep in mind, this does not cover every contingency but this is the most common. Others are caused by poor lane and machine maintenance. I hope this helps

Signed Ron W.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Very cool. Thanks for looking into it!

Ringer

great information. how about gunk on the ball, not damage just black sticky gunk? and it is only on the reactive resin ball and not the polyester ball. I don't know much but kind of assumed it was oil picked up from the lane and then getting gunked up with crud from the ball return.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Chats: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Others are caused by poor lane and machine maintenance. I hope this helps

It seems to me that everything on the list is a result of poor lane and machine maintenance.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by panbanger View Post
    It seems to me that everything on the list is a result of poor lane and machine maintenance.
    That pretty much sums it up.

There are a few things, like pin jams where a pin gets stuck or a ball takes a big bounce and hits the rack that can cause ball damage that are not related. But most issues are caused by wear and maintenance of the equipment.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    great information. how about gunk on the ball, not damage just black sticky gunk? and it is only on the reactive resin ball and not the polyester ball. I don't know much but kind of assumed it was oil picked up from the lane and then getting gunked up with crud from the ball return.
    Its' caused by dirty carpets, curtains and belts. If a ball gets stuck, you might get a burn mark from friction against a moving part.

You see it on resin balls more because the balls have drier, tackier surfaces, So the thing that helps the ball grip the lane also lets it pick up dirt more.

Plastic balls have harder non porous surfaces, that let the oil sit on the cover. So it's harder for stuff to stick or rub off on it, so the ball comes back cleaner.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Its' caused by dirty carpets, curtains and belts. If a ball gets stuck, you might get a burn mark from friction against a moving part.

You see it on resin balls more because the balls have drier, tackier surfaces, So the thing that helps the ball grip the lane also lets it pick up dirt more.

Plastic balls have harder non porous surfaces, that let the oil sit on the cover. So it's harder for stuff to stick or rub off on it, so the ball comes back cleaner.
    thank you, that's what I thought might be happening. I did not see it as much at a different house so i thought it might have something to do with how well things are kept clean.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    That pretty much sums it up.

There are a few things, like pin jams where a pin gets stuck or a ball takes a big bounce and hits the rack that can cause ball damage that are not related. But most issues are caused by wear and maintenance of the equipment.
    I agree MOST are caused by maintenance. The screws and such that get sheared off, that's not necessarily a maintenance issue. Now and then things just get hit funny and they do break, it happens.

I do want to mention something I'm quite proud of. Remember in a post I said that sometimes balls keep trying to come up the ball lift and sometimes it takes them a few tries and even sometimes they don't make it because oil gets caked on the lift belt? I tried something last night. You know the Simple Green / Alcohol mixture that is illegal to use on the ball during play? Well, I suggested to the mechanic that I spray it on a rag and clean those belts with it.

I did it and it worked like a charm. They were clean as a whistle. The amount of gunk that came off was unreal. He said "From now on, once a week when we change the ball socks that is what we are doing, Great job!" I guess he was impressed. I'm glad it was able to serve a purpose. He said he'd never have thought of that. After that he turned on all the lanes and I did them all. I'm very proud of myself. =)(
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I hope this helps

Signed Ron W.
    Thanks for taking the time to inquire and post the reply!
    It does answer some questions...

It's my pleasure guys. I have a guy who knows his stuff at my disposal and there are so many questions people have. If I can pick his brain which he loves that anyway I am more than happy to ask to get them. Keep the questions coming and if he can answer them you can bet I'll post them. It'd rather be an asset to the board vs an a$$.
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast