Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At least I was consistent

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I guess you guys don't have Jackpots. Most bowlers will only get one chance at a 300 game in their whole life. Many will never get the 1st 8 strikes. They will have 3 games under avg. hundreds of times more than they will shooting 300.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I agree with John. The 300's will come or they won't. I would prefer to bowl 3 consistent games than 1 great game and 2 average games. My 2nd week back I had a 244 then a 124. Forget the 3rd game but ended with about a 550. I wasn't happy when I left. Maybe if the 244 was last but I knew I blew it and the 244 was a fluke. If I had bowled 3 180's I would have been happier.

BTW-our PSO shot another 300 last night. 2nd one for him in our league since I started in early February.

@Phonetek-i signed up for the summer league so i will get my practice in
    I'm really proud of you bud, your progression has been quite admirable. Keep it up
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    John are you serous? Why would you say that? 90% of the bowlers in leagues will never hit a 300 game but almost everybody has had a series with all 3 games over average.
    Serious.

If I shoot 300, 150, 150, my team will most likely win one game and maybe take wood. If I shoot 200, 200, 200 we have a good shot at winning all three games.

Are you happier winng one game or three?
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Serious.

If I shoot 300, 150, 150, my team will most likely win one game and maybe take wood. If I shoot 200, 200, 200 we have a good shot at winning all three games.

Are you happier winning one game or three?
    Yep. I'm more concerned with winning games than I am getting 300's. Never had a 300 yet so you would think it would be a priority. Nah. If I get it I get it. Our team was in about 5th place when I started. I was only supposed to be a fill-in but one of the regulars had surgery and complications so after my first week I was 'promoted' to full-time. We just finished last night and we made it to 2nd place. We are something like 36-6 in the last 2 months and definitely the hottest team in the league. I would like to take the credit but I can't. Sure I bowled above my average almost every week but not by much. In that stretch I only had 1 600 so definitely wasn't from my great bowling...lol. My team stepped up and killed it. Every week 1 or 2 guys would just kill it. I'm happier because of that than if I had bowled 5 300's. I do wish my average was a little higher but after a 15 year break I'm probably about where I thought I'd be. Plan to be over 200 average next year.

And as far as first 8 strikes...they weren't my first 9 frames but did throw 9 in a row my 2nd week back (256). Threw 12 in a row years ago but I finished a game with 5 and started the next with 7. Maybe I will get a 300, maybe I won't. I'm sure I will at some point but if not as long as we keep winning I'm happy. Our 'injured' guy returned last night but we had a full roster and the captain said he didn't want to mess with the chemistry so the 'returning' player sat out. I told him if I struggled my first game I would pull myself and let him bowl. Turns out our 2nd best bowler (200 average) had a 160-ish and was going to sit but everyone knows he usually comes back with a vengeance so we kept the regular roster. He ended up with 168, 236, and 246 (650). We won the 2nd and 3rd games and total pins so good thing.
    Last edited by boatman37; 04-04-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Strikes don't win games without spares. Of course a 300 would win a game. However throw every other strike and the others opens, pretty good chance of losing. Consistency is the key and that's picking up spares. Boatman you did great from where you started from. It's not easy to come back after that long of a stretch and do as well as you did. I'd be proud of your accomplishment.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Consistency is a good start! I would take a series with every game over my average rather than bowl a 300 with the other games under my average.
    It's funny you say that. On Tuesday, a friend of mine who averages 205, shot a series of 158-300-179 for a whopping 637. LOL
    Average: 190, High Game: 285, High Series 718
    In the bag: Radical More Cash, Track Paradox Pearl, Track Tundra, Storm Super Natural

Pin Crusher

Serious.

Are you happier winng one game or three?
    Bowling 2 150 games doesn't mean you lost 2 games. Shooting 300 doesn't mean you won either. All I am saying is in a bowling careen you will not remember the many times you bowl all three games over average. Many I am sure. If you only bowl one 300 game in your whole life it is something you will never forget.
    I am not trying to say that bowling 3 games over average isn't impressive. It is just that it will not be something you tell your grand kids about.

I'm pretty sure my teammates wouldn't mind if I shot my first 300 but we lost 3 of 4... Nor would I mind if one of them shot their first 300 and it meant losing 3 of 4. That's a lifetime memory! We had plenty of weeks we won 4 of 4 and I couldn't tell you diddly about any of them.

High Roller

Well another consistent night. Better this time though. Had a 201, 193, and 192 (586 series). My current average is 174.6 after tonight (173.0 before tonight) so definitely a step up. Struggled with spares the first 2 games but got strikes. Third game I got spares but couldn't get strikes. Hit the pocket almost every shot but just couldn't get the carry. If I could just string together a night where I could get both I would have a great night. Tonight was my 2nd best series since coming back (had a 643 a few weeks ago). Still planning on a 200 average next year. I have the ability, just need to iron out a few things.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12