Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted!

Chats: 0

Default Busted!

So yesterday my wife gets me up for work. I shower, get dressed in uniform and I was even running a bit behind schedule which is unlike me. I made it on time though. I walk in I see the boss in the office who gives me a strange look. The counter person asks "What are you doing here?" I said "Um...about to punch in to work, why?" She says "You're not on the schedule" I quickly whipped out my phone and showed her the app. I said See I work 10-6" She says "That's tomorrow freakball" LOL OOPS! Boss sees me and I told him I was just showing up early for my shift tomorrow albeit 24 hours early but early nonetheless. Needless to say it didn't work.

I decided to go back by the mechanic and see what he had on my to-do list. Unfortunately boss said I can't do that anymore off the clock in the event I got hurt. Man, that sux. All I want to do is get ahead on the mechanic stuff since I don't get the time scheduled back there I would like. I get it though and he's right. I think the mechanic was disappointed as too.

Well since I was already there so I took the time to make a spreadsheet of the beer cooler so I have a printout. That way when I have to stock it I don't have to re-write the list every time, now I just fill in the quantity of what I need and I can check it off. Then I made a close of business procedure for myself because I'll be working solo next week and I don't want to forget anything. The register is the biggest pain. I'll have the boss look it all over to make sure I didn't forget anything. After I bowled 5 games to pass the time.

My wife questioned soon as I came in the door why I was home so early, I told her I was fired. She flipped out naturally until I told her I wasn't supposed to work. Since she wrote my schedule on the calendar she felt just as much like an idiot as I did. At least I made my time productive.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

that is what i call devotion. too bad the boss would not let you hook up with the mechanic but at least you got something accomplished. good thing you did not get injured doing that spread sheet off the clock though. brave man telling your wife you were fired.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    that is what i call devotion. too bad the boss would not let you hook up with the mechanic but at least you got something accomplished. good thing you did not get injured doing that spread sheet off the clock though. brave man telling your wife you were fired.
    Well my friend, I hold no degrees so I've come to realize the only way to get ahead is to go above and beyond to get noticed. Plus I like to be organized and make things easier on myself and even my co-workers. I barely got out of high school, I was too busy snapping panties than studying but learned early on that doing that extra stuff can pay off even if on my own time. Granted, even if I work my way to the top here the money isn't gonna be a fraction of what it was at telecom but at least at the end of the day I will come home saying I enjoyed my job. Making it easier is just the sauce on the goose.

As far as telling my wife I got fired, yeah she had a momentary grabber but she knew better. After being together 25 years and married 19 I can offer her few surprises. My kids were the first to say "Yeah right Daddy" And no fingers or keyboards were harmed in the making of the spreadsheet. I forgot to add that disclaimer in the OP.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I forgot to mention. The reason I made the spreadsheet is that we have 74 different kinds of beer in our cooler alone. That doesn't include the 24 varieties of hard liquor and the 6 beers on tap. Oh and at least a dozen kinds of wine. Writing a list gets cumbersome to say the least when you have to restock LOL
    Bowling Center Manager

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I decided to go back by the mechanic and see what he had on my to-do list. Unfortunately boss said I can't do that anymore off the clock in the event I got hurt. Man, that sux.
    It's not just if you get hurt, working off the clock even if it is your idea is a labor violation if they let you do it ,they can get in a lot of trouble. Those are considered hours worked and your supposed to get paid for it.

Dept. of Labor: Suffer or Permit to Work
    https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/fl...fferpermit.asp

Suffer or Permit to Work

The FLSA defines the term "employ" to include the words "suffer or permit to work". Suffer or permit to work means that if an employer requires or allows employees to work they are employed and the time spent is probably hours worked.

Thus, time spent doing work not requested by the employer, but still allowed, is generally hours worked, since the employer knows or has reason to believe that the employees are continuing to work and the employer is benefiting from the work being done. This time is commonly referred to as "working off the clock".

Well since I was already there so I took the time to make a spreadsheet of the beer cooler so I have a printout.
    That right there was working off the clock.

If they tell you to stop and You keep doing it, they can fire you for it. Because their not supposed to let you work and not get paid.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Man rules suck sometimes, there are always loopholes for every rule. I'm not saying it's right but they exist. The spreadsheet he didn't stop me from doing, he knew I was doing that. I'm sure he will be pleased. Consider it charity, I'm not asking for anything for it and he knows that. I can't help it that I'm ambitious. I've been that way my entire life. The spreadsheet isn't something I'd have been able and sit down and do on the clock but it will make my work easier. I understand not doing work with the mechanic. If anyone would have asked what I was doing on my laptop, I was just simply hanging out using the wi-fi, we get plenty of those. Besides, it wouldn't be anyone's business as long as I wasn't using it for anything illegal. Heck, I could have been posting on here for all anyone knows.

Now if I did it at home there wouldn't be anything anyone could do about that. I suppose the worst he could do is stick my spreadsheet in the shredder. Fire me for it, unlikely. If I went and worked on the pinsetters then yeah I probably would have at least been written up because of the potential hazards.

Only in America can one go above and beyond off the clock and possibly get in trouble for it LOL
    Bowling Center Manager

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Consider it charity, I'm not asking for anything for it and he knows that.
    That maybe true now.

But as time pass's, things can change and the next thing you know. Someone (not saying you would) is suing for all their back wages in regard to that off the clock work, it's happened before. Which is why the rules protect the employer also.

I can't help it that I'm ambitious. I've been that way my entire life.The spreadsheet isn't something I'd have been able and sit down and do on the clock but it will make my work easier. I understand not doing work with the mechanic. If anyone would have asked what I was doing on my laptop, I was just simply hanging out using the wi-fi, we get plenty of those. Besides, it wouldn't be anyone's business as long as I wasn't using it for anything illegal. Heck, I could have been posting on here for all anyone knows.
    If part of your job was to stock the beer cooler and making a inventory list of what you have and what you need is part of that job. Then making a spreadsheet to track your inventory is part of work and technically should be done on the clock.

Now if I did it at home there wouldn't be anything anyone could do about that. I suppose the worst he could do is stick my spreadsheet in the shredder. Fire me for it, unlikely. If I went and worked on the pinsetters then yeah I probably would have at least been written up because of the potential hazards.
    You do it at home, your working off the clock.

Hours worked include all time during which an employee is required or allowed to perform any work for an employer, regardless of where the work is done, whether on the employer’s premises, at a designated work place, at home or at some other location.

Only in America can one go above and beyond off the clock and possibly get in trouble for it LOL
    It's not about someone trying to go above and beyond or make their own job easier, the rules are there because employers took advantage of employee's and used it to work people without paying them saying they were volunteering etc.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Yeah I get all of that, it's ashamed things are that way. In my opinion there are way too many "paycheck collectors" vs. workers these days. In honestly it's a shock considering how many good people don't have jobs who would work like I do. Employers and Employees have too many of the incorrect rights that really screw up the system. Too much CYA on both sides. Exactly why few people ever get to retire from their first job like many of our parents or grandparents did. But even jobs I hated I did my job. I may not have gone above and beyond for those people though. Then again, most of what I have dealt with in my career was customers and indirectly with the bosses. So for customers no matter what I try to do my best for.

You're right that I'm not asking for anything in return now but in the long run maybe when reviews come around I'd like to get rewarded a little for it. At least more than the ones who just stand around leaning against the counter all day. All I ask is fairness and to be treated well. I'd never ask for back pay for doing things like I'm doing, that to me is extortion and that's not me. I'm also not lawsuit happy like many who do it for sport. I've NEVER sued anyone and unless they did something horrific I don't ever see it happening. Like I said the other day they want to make me an assistant manager, that has it's pro's and con's. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do, I have the option. At least that means they are noticing something in me.
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

Yep. My last job they REQUIRED us to take our 15 minute breaks and we were not allowed to be at our desks or workstations. The shop people would take their chairs and move them a few feet from their work tables and sit. Weren't allowed to be within arms reach of your work area.

Ringer

I forgot to mention. The reason I made the spreadsheet is that we have 74 different kinds of beer in our cooler alone. That doesn't include the 24 varieties of hard liquor and the 6 beers on tap. Oh and at least a dozen kinds of wine. Writing a list gets cumbersome to say the least when you have to restock LOL
    yup, did I tell you "I like beer"
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast