Thread: The most annoying request I get as a bar tender.

Chats: 0

Default The most annoying request I get as a bar tender.

"Give me a beer" Um...yeah sure. I wish some beer company would come out with a beer with a white label that just says "Beer" for the brand name. Right now we don't have "Beer" brand beer. In the interim I'll just hand them the higher end ones which I believe currently is the 3 Floyds varieties. Stella on tap is another one but they pay more so I give them the 3 Floyds instead unless they want something on tap.

The second question that is annoying is "What does that beer taste like?" As if I know. LOL First of all I HATE beer. Growing up with a drunk smelling beer farts and beer breath totally took away my will to drink it. Besides it's not like we get free samples either. Is there some unspoken rule that bar tenders are supposed to know what everything tastes like? We just pour drinks and open bottles, we aren't chef's LOL
    Last edited by Phonetek; 04-05-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

LMAO I found one from House M.D. I totally forgot about this scene. Man I miss this show. All the bottles on the wall say Beer too
    Last edited by Phonetek; 04-04-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

oh my, great videos. classic song you don't hear too many like that now days.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Here's my take. If you're going to be a good bar tender, I think you ought to know a little about what it is you're serving folks. There ought to be some training involved I'd suppose. On the other hand if you're just filling in while the regular guy or gal is away taking care of other issues, that's a bit different. If someone came up to me and said "Give me a beer", I'd get a bit perturbed but I'd ask if they had any preferences like brand, pilsner, lager, IPA, etc. Then I'd ask if they wanted a draft or bottled or canned beer. I think by that time they'd realize that I knew what I was tending here.
    Now as far as "What does that one taste like?" You might take note of what's normally in stock at your place and read up on them. Beer advocate is one source that gives a fair amount of information on just about any beer or ale that's out there in the market place. I suggest that you consider looking up some of these and then you'll be a bit more comfortable in replying to these drunkards.
    On the other hand, since you apparently aren't too fond of being put in a position to serve stuff that abhors you, I'd ask the owner to have someone else tend bar and you'd be glad to work the front desk or whatever... Enough rambling on...
    I like some beers and have learned a bit about various IPAs to have an idea about this ale or that. Chicago has their fair share of good local brands that find themselves on the higher tier of IPAs in this country. There are some very good ones from California and New Mexico in my opinion, too... Just say'n...

Ringer

I agree with djp1080 i don't think bar tending is a good job for you. Maybe just stay behind the pinsetters. Customer service is the key, i know i wouldn't tip you for sure with that attitude.

Pin Crusher

Suggestions,
    Would you like bottle or on tap sir? Any brand you prefer?

Sorry I'm not a beer drinker but I sell a lot of this brand.

No one likes a smart a$$ person who is there to serve.

LOL Wow guys, I'm never a jerk to the customer like that. I was just merely saying when someone says "Gimme a beer" it's a silly thing to say. If we only had one kind of beer then it would make sense. I step out from in front of the beer cooler and allow them to make their choices which usually they do. If they want draft, the taps are right in front of them and the tell me what they want. The only brand on tap and bottle is Miller Lite so I ask which they want. If they can't see the cooler clearly enough I'll give them our menu which lists most of them.

When someone asks me what blah blah blah tastes like I have no clue and I tell them the truth which is "I really don't know, I've never had that before" I'm not a smara$$ about it. Not all bar tenders are drinkers and if they are probably haven't tried everything so it's a difficult question to answer. I haven't had anyone get upset with me because I didn't know what something tastes like. It's just impossible to answer properly if you haven't tasted it. Unlike many foods, beer is different. I can't say it tastes like chicken.

This thread was merely meant to be sarcastic because "Gimme a beer" IS a stupid question without the person elaborating. You wouldn't go to a used car dealership and say "Gimme a car" and take whatever junker they felt like rolling out. I would think you'd want to be more specific. I do enjoy bar tending very much, I find it fun and interesting. I get tipped very well, complimented frequently and many people say hello to me by name. So please don't take what I said as a sarcastic joking post and make it into something it's not.
    Bowling Center Manager

I've considered this string of posts and never thought you'd act like a jerk with customers. Based upon your stories you've shared, you seem to be well fitted to interact with them nicely. Just keep up the good work. Sounds like you're enjoying a lot of the folks who show up at your place... Including those in the costumes... Yikes!

Thanks Djp, I really do go out of my way greatly for every customer to please them and above and beyond in every aspect of my job. I joke around constantly with everyone and keep a smile on my face regardless of my mood. My OP was just what I think to myself when people ask those questions that I'd never say out loud. If I did it would be in a jcompletely joking an non-offensive manner. Customer service has been a part of my career my entire life at the phone company and including now. Although nobody can please everyone I sure go out of my way to try. I'm sorry you guys took my post differently.

The Beer brand Beer thing was a joke between myself and a co-worker and we each chuckle when asked the question. That's all it was folks. Besides I must be doing something right because I now have 3 stellar online reviews mentioning me specifically and the service I provide. I'd say that's pretty good in just a couple months. So far management hasn't mentioned anything to me about them but I bet they will if I get a bad one some day which is likely inevitable for one reason or another. You know how people are, something is bound to **** them off and they will take it out on the first person who's name comes to mind.
    Bowling Center Manager