Thread: Head to Head vs Team points

Chats: 2

Default Head to Head vs Team points

I wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were on this. In our Men's leagues here, we use a head to head style points system. Team on the odd lane sets their lineup, team on the even lane gets to match up their lineup. It's handicapped. You get 2 points for winning your head to head matchup, and 5 points to win total pins as a team, meaning 15 points a game are eligible to get. Then there is total pins for the series as a team, which is an additional 5 points, meaning 50 points can be won for the night as a team. Personally, I'm a fan of this, as it makes you have to not only bowl individually and win your points, but also as a team. We used to just do points for the 3 games, not even total pins. We also use this same system for Wyoming High 5 (top 5 averages from each house in the state, some houses take 2 teams). What is your take on this?
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were on this. In our Men's leagues here, we use a head to head style points system. Team on the odd lane sets their lineup, team on the even lane gets to match up their lineup. It's handicapped. You get 2 points for winning your head to head matchup, and 5 points to win total pins as a team, meaning 15 points a game are eligible to get. Then there is total pins for the series as a team, which is an additional 5 points, meaning 50 points can be won for the night as a team. Personally, I'm a fan of this, as it makes you have to not only bowl individually and win your points, but also as a team. We used to just do points for the 3 games, not even total pins. We also use this same system for Wyoming High 5 (top 5 averages from each house in the state, some houses take 2 teams). What is your take on this?
    It's called the Match Point System, This system is good for a scratch league, your basically matching bowlers of similar average against each other and it's a more competitive situation.

A very competitive handicap league could use it, but it takes a little more work. Because you have to add in the handicap's to see who won their point every game. Though since the advent of automatic scorers it's easier, because they can show handicap scores as well as scratch.

We tried it here on my mixed handicap league seasons back but it didn't go over too well, the players liked playing in the same line up every week and the big mens handicap league didn't care for it either.

I'd like to try "Team versus Field", this one rarely seen.
    In this your team plays all the teams in the league at one time. Here you receive points (usually 1) for each team you beat in the league.

Example: If your league has 12 teams, the maximum amount of points per game you could win is 11.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

I like the way that sounds. When I'm on a league of course I'm watching the total pins. Since I usually bowl anchor I always make sure to at least beat their anchor. It makes me feel I did my part if we win or lose and I can't be made at myself that way. Then again I always check to see if my team mates are doing the same, if their not I do my best to compensate but of course there is only so much one can do. That does sound like a fun system though
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If it a new league just starting do what ever you want. If it is an established league and not broken don't fix it' Too many people want to change things.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    If it a new league just starting do what ever you want. If it is an established league and not broken don't fix it' Too many people want to change things.
    It's a very established league. We have been doing it this way for 2 years now and it seems to have taken off, averages have come up across the board as well as it made it more competitive. Overall, we have seen good results. However, I do like the "team vs field" concept.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands