Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide if I should go down in ball weight

Default Can't decide if I should go down in ball weight

Got back into bowling last year after a 20 plus year break. I have just been doing a lot of open bowling about once per week on average and will be joining a summer league soon. All my equipment is 16lbs and it’s all I have ever thrown since I was 14 years old. My current 16lb stuff doesn’t feel too heavy but I am thinking that going down to 15lb equipment will help increase my rev rate and ball speed. But I also don’t want to invest in a minimum of two new 15lb balls (strike ball and spare ball) as an experiment to see if 15lb equipment is for me. Would it make more sense to buy some used equipment or see if the pro shop has some old overstock 15lb balls he would let go for a good deal before I fully commit to making the jump?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I had always used 16lb stuff but after returning back after a 15 year break I found that 15lb is now the norm. Not many use 16lb today
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I came back after a 30 year break. I, too, bowled with a 16 lb. ball from when I was a teenager back in the 60's.
    I started back with 16 lb. stuff and did okay. My first 15 lb. ball was a white dot spare ball. Didn't feel much different than anything else I had.
    I truly don't think you'll notice much difference between 15 and 16 pound balls. The pro shops may have 15 lb. balls in stock and you'll have to wait a few days or a week for a 16 lb. ball is all.
    I'd say that the main reason to consider going to a lighter ball is your physical condition and how your current equipment feels to you while you're bowling. If you're getting tired after rolling two or three games, perhaps a 15 lb. ball or even a 14 lb. ball is for you. A friend of mine went from 16 down to 14 lbs. because he was having shoulder problems.
    New gear for me are all 15 lb. They tend to feel good in my hands. Good luck!

Chats: 10

I believe you will find the majority of bowlers use 15lbs. Being out for. Awhile and if wanting new equipment, I would go to 15.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

I used 16 before a 14 year break. When I came back my PSO suggested I go to 15 and tried it and liked it. It seems to be the norm now. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Ringer

just a thought on picking up a used ball. unless you find one with a great fit or get it re drilled for your hand it may not give you a true sense of how it feels. I have personally experienced this with getting a new ball fit to my hand as apposed to one that is not as good a fit. I tended to stiffen up to help keep a grip on the ball that was not fitted well instead of relaxing my grip and my arm.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    just a thought on picking up a used ball. unless you find one with a great fit or get it re drilled for your hand it may not give you a true sense of how it feels. I have personally experienced this with getting a new ball fit to my hand as apposed to one that is not as good a fit. I tended to stiffen up to help keep a grip on the ball that was not fitted well instead of relaxing my grip and my arm.
    If I go used I will defiantly get the ball plugged and re-drilled.

My PSO has a gently used 15lb Black Widow Legend the he will plug and redrill for $100 even. At that price I may just go used as he also has lots
    of good stuff on closeout for not much more.

Chats: 256

Going down to 15lb was the biggest help to my game when I started to get more serious about bowling. I found that it helped my consistency a great amount by dropping that 1lb.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I dropped down to a 15 this week and I honestly didn't even think anything about the fact it was a 1lb lighter. I was in too much awe about having new technology for the first time in over two decades so I didn't even notice the weight drop. Telling you this was little to no help. I did notice it rolled beautifully, I wasn't launching it and I finally was able to get out of my thumb clean. That says more about the drilling than the weight though, again no help.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast