Thread: Johnny Petraglia - Spare Shooting Tips

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Johnny Petraglia - Spare Shooting Tips

Johnny Petraglia 's advice on spare shooting for league bowlers. Some awesome advice by one of the greats

Last edited by bowl1820; 04-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Exactly what I asked about the other day...lol. And I agree with him about consistent releases. I release the same every shot. No exceptions. My hand/wrist is the same whether it's a strike or 7 or 10. I have always done that. Guys say to flatten your wrist for spares. I can't do that. When I had my old Cobalt Rhino (urethane) I could pick up 7's or 10's just as easy as any other shot. Some days the lanes were a little too dry so I had a Black Beauty for that but probably 97% of the time it was the Rhino. But no matter what my release was always the same.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Why do they pros throw it so much harder when going after a simple spare?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    Why do they pros throw it so much harder when going after a simple spare?
    I don’t think we have any pros to give you a direct answer as to why, but I’ll throw my two cents in.

One, they are not throwing harder, they are throwing with more speed.
    Two, the speed is faster at least in part because the ball isn’t hooking.
    Three, most pros throw with more speed than us amateurs.

Side note from the Brunswick mini-camp I attended: one portion of our time on the lanes was working just on corner pins. They had Jason Sterner demontrate shooting them throwing a moderately agressive ball dead straight. They were not particularly faster than any of his strike shots. The pros were not reccomending that we dump our plastic spare balls, just showing off that they could throw straight with whatever ball was on hand. Their actual reccommendation was that everyone should have a T-Zone, unless they happen to be Norm Duke.
    John