Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't get over how quickly kids learn!

Chats: 0

Default I can't get over how quickly kids learn!

When my son got his ball not long ago he couldn't throw a hook to save his life. I mean the only hook he got was due to lane topography and that was it. Somehow it clicked with him all in the sudden. I take no credit for it, he was just practicing while I was working and all in the sudden this kid is throwing a beautiful bend. It's not a helicopter, it's not over the thumb hole just a nice 3/4 roll. He places it nice and gentle on the lane and slides out 8-10 boards to the right and comes into the pocket with a nice smooth arc. It's only a polyester Pyramid and yet I've seen him hang it over the gutter and come back for a light pocket hit.

No way I could throw that ball and get that kind of movement on it. On average I'd say he's a solid 145. I figured it would be another year minimum for that, he proved me wrong. He definitely needs to still work on accuracy, he still throws his share of balls in the channel or crosses way over but when he hits his mark it's a site to see. I'm very very proud of him. Last night the was a guy at the bar that said to me "Hey check this kid out bowling on lane 10!" I took great pride in saying "Yep, that's my son!" He asked what age he started bowling at and I said January was his first time. He couldn't believe it. I gotta get some new video of him to upload, you guys gotta see this. He still needs a lot of work in other areas but I have to admit I'm blown away thus far.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

that is very cool, does you good to see the improvement.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Yes it does, it won't be long before he's gonna wanna shoot some good ol' pot games against dad. I better start stashing money now because I'll probably lose.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Yes it does, it won't be long before he's gonna wanna shoot some good ol' pot games against dad. I better start stashing money now because I'll probably lose.
    ahh what a joy it is when the apprentice eclipses the master.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Yep, I the day will come I'm sure. I think I still got some time before Daniel Son is ready to beat up Miyagi but it will be fun for both.
    Bowling Center Manager

Cranker

I know how you feel. I have 4 girls and the oldest is 12 and she just bowled her highest game ever this week 180. She's really looking forward to beating me one day.

That's awesome! They get a little cocky though don't they? They may be developing the skill but we still got the experience filled with a bag of tricks they've never seen. Heehee
    Bowling Center Manager

Ringer

my oldest boy is 11 but he looks like 15 and is 5' 8". so some may think he should be a little more advanced. he has not had a lot of experience bowling, at least semi seriously. it has been just recently I started to work with him a bit but I am not that skilled either. need to get him his own ball soon, hopefully I can win one for him. my 8 yr old does not have much interest but that may change at some point.
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    my oldest boy is 11 but he looks like 15 and is 5' 8". so some may think he should be a little more advanced. he has not had a lot of experience bowling, at least semi seriously. it has been just recently I started to work with him a bit but I am not that skilled either. need to get him his own ball soon, hopefully I can win one for him. my 8 yr old does not have much interest but that may change at some point.
    Well I will say that using house balls didn't do my son any justice. Yeah he was working on his approach but even that is hard to do when your struggling to grip a ball that doesn't fit properly. Once he got his ball is when things really shifted into high gear for him. I regret not getting him something a little better because I could have probably got him an entry level urethane or reactive ball for a similar price. Or had I talked to my manager much less. Hindsight you know. I did the best I could at the time and it's doing the job in the interim. Probably a month before fall leagues start since he's progressed so well I'll likely get him something better. He's earning it.
    Dad is finishing his arsenal first though! LOL One down, two to go and a new bag.

I wish you lived closer I'd be able to hook your kid up now. You could always see if there are any summer leagues for kids that they get a free ball. I know we have one so I'm sure they are out there.
    Bowling Center Manager

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post

I wish you lived closer I'd be able to hook your kid up now. You could always see if there are any summer leagues for kids that they get a free ball. I know we have one so I'm sure they are out there.
    not that I have seen at the house I usually go to, at least not listed but I should ask around there may be another near by. there is a junior/adult 2 per team league a little further out that might be a fun one to try.

I am looking forward to hearing about your Son's progression in the future.
    Southpaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast