Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bo Burton's Bowling Tip For The Down And In Players with Curtis Odom

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Bo Burton's Bowling Tip For The Down And In Players with Curtis Odom

Okay, I just posted this one because I saw Curtis Odom practicing at the lanes I was practicing at way back when I first started bowling. he was down on lane 1. He was one of the smoothest players I've seen, You never heard that ball hit the lane. He just stroked it onto the lane , just like the landing a plane analogy.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Why are you posting tips from the urethane era when both Curtis Odom and Bo Burton were youngsters. This is counter productive for today's bowlers who will try to incorporate the tip into today's game with modern reactive bowling balls. It's only going to hurt them. Things change. This doesn't help!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Why are you posting tips from the urethane era when both Curtis Odom and Bo Burton were youngsters. This is counter productive for today's bowlers who will try to incorporate the tip into today's game with modern reactive bowling balls. It's only going to hurt them. Things change. This doesn't help!
    Well Robl I'm sorry I posted a vintage video that I didn't have your approval of beforehand, This is the Bowling Videos & Picture forum and no where does it say it's limited to current topics, ideas etc.

I just posted a short video that had Curtis Odom in it and on which I just commented on how I seen him back in the day. I was not posting a "Tip" I just used the title that was on the video. Oh sure I could have posted a different video, But I didn't.

Plus I don't think the users on here are that naive, Maybe you do but I don't I give them more credit.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-14-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

I don't think that you can group all of the users here into one group. Certainly many of them are knowledgable and experienced enough to recognize the video for what it is. There are many, many posters here who are obvious newbies to the game, and it's those bowlers who I am concerned about. I'm frankly surprised at your sarcasm. That's more in my bag of tricks than yours! LOL

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I don't think that you can group all of the users here into one group.
    I don't particularly group all the users here into one group (except that they are bowlers), But I try not to be condescending to any of them either.

Here's a quote from a movie called the Swarm I like:

Brad Crane: Are you endowing these bees with human motives? Like saving their fellow bees from captivity, or seeking revenge on Mankind?
    General Thalius Slater: I always credit my enemy, no matter what he may be, with equal intelligence.
    I'll paraphrase it: "I always credit the other users, no matter what he/she may be, with equal intelligence." (At least until I find out different)

Certainly many of them are knowledgable and experienced enough to recognize the video for what it is.
    Certainly many are.

There are many, many posters here who are obvious newbies to the game, and it's those bowlers who I am concerned about.
    Then you should have pointed out what you saw as counter productive for today's bowlers in the video, Instead of just admonishing me for posting it.

It may have sparked a valuable discussion, Which is the reason I post some videos.

I'm frankly surprised at your sarcasm. That's more in my bag of tricks than yours! LOL
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-15-2018 at 11:19 AM.

I'm not being condescending when I call bowlers inexperienced. Saying someone is inexperienced is not saying that they are not intelligent, just that they do not have the requisite knowledge base to make an informed decision.

You must also understand that in my own experience as a coach and a writer, I see how many bowlers want to flock to anything that indicates that it is O.K. not to leave their comfort zone. Anything that says that moving right and going more direct in today's bowling environment will be blindly accepted by bowlers who are only comfortable doing that, regardless of how detrimental it might be to their games. I meant no disrespect to anyone... I'm only trying to help.

Chats: 0

I'll jump on this pile and say I don't see anything wrong with down and in approach now and again. Although bowling has developed a lot since this video was made there are still times when down and in may be the right choice vs swinging it out 20 boards. In today's game versatility is key so knowing some of the vintage methods may be a positive weapon to be used against those in competition who only know the modern game. Especially in the up and coming summer months where you're gonna run into bone dry conditions where even a plastic ball wants to hook off the lane. If nothing else this video shows some of the evolution of the game.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I am referring to a typical house shot featuring heavy oil from ten to ten and virtually nothing outside of ten. Given this situation, with aggressive bowling balls absorbing oil with each pass down the lane, why would anyone ever move to the outside on a typical house shot?

Chats: 0

In that case of course not but there wasn't anything in the video about what oil pattern he was using the down and in approach on. I was speaking to the down and in approach in general. If the shot warranted using it you'd likely have already put the aggressive ball back in your bag by then anyway as should have everyone else who didn't want to spend the night picking up splits and going Brooklyn.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I am referring to a typical house shot featuring heavy oil from ten to ten and virtually nothing outside of ten. Given this situation, with aggressive bowling balls absorbing oil with each pass down the lane, why would anyone ever move to the outside on a typical house shot?
    And therein lies one of the problems with some typical house shots especially the top hat type 10 to 10 you are referring to. Lets face it the average age of league bowlers is much older now and we force them into a part of the lane many times they just never played. There is a reason people play the outside which is to create extra entry angle and some of these house patterns just take that option away as you stated. And yes, i understand the modern game and equipment and the need to adjust. I have been bowling in leagues for almost 45 years and bowled all levels of tournaments so i understand the value of and work at playing different angles and parts of the lane. But, that type of bowler is a small percentage of the bowling population. So why take away a portion of the lane for some bowlers that are just trying to score on their regular league??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast