Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bo Burton's Bowling Tip For The Down And In Players with Curtis Odom

I agree with you however, if you look at the daily posts on this site and others, you see these same bowlers routinely asking about and talking about very aggressive bowling balls. Before I had to quit bowling temporarily (hopefully), my bone and back problems forced me to bowl exclusively with a plastic spare ball. While I would usually play between the second and third arrows, I would occasionally move outside. Unfortunately, this just doesn't work with the overly aggressive balls that the majority of league bowlers choose to use.

Chats: 0

I agree Rob, I see it at my center albeit most throw house balls. The ones who don't seem to use pro level oil suckers vs mild or mid range balls because they feel spending top dollar means that's going to make them better which is stupid. Marketing is the cause, "Buy this ball and be a pro". Although it may add pins to their average it doesn't make them better. In the long run it's going to make them choke hard on competitive conditions.

Granted I just bought a Rip'd which is very aggressive but I didn't buy it to add pins to my average on THS. I bought it specifically for sport shots and higher level tournaments which should be it's intended purpose not the first out of bag everywhere. I would never whip it out at work to hang it over the gutter let alone down and in on our THS. I suppose I could flatten my wrist and go down and in with it on THS but what a waste of an aggressive ball. Marketing and aggressive balls for the league bowler is a topic for another thread though, it's somewhat off topic here.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

My ball is pretty aggressive but I play more outside. I target between the 1st and 2nd arrows and stand just inside the middle dot. I can/have moved more inside but my ball doesn't react. But I am a lower rev bowler and throw probably a little too hard (as Rob pointed out...lol). I could probably play more inside if I slowed my ball down.

ahhhhh.....my summer homework,,,,lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    My ball is pretty aggressive but I play more outside. I target between the 1st and 2nd arrows and stand just inside the middle dot. I can/have moved more inside but my ball doesn't react. But I am a lower rev bowler and throw probably a little too hard (as Rob pointed out...lol). I could probably play more inside if I slowed my ball down.
    I apologize. My comments are usually aimed at right handers because there are so many more of them. Lefties are a different story: you can play further outside for the simple reason that there is less traffic (you are usually the only one on the pair), and less friction built up in the track area from much less use.

This is me as well. I throw too fast, and low rev, to get inside (yet). It will come with time, but I should think the outside game is the best starting place, unless you can stomach a lot of gutter balls while you learn.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I apologize. My comments are usually aimed at right handers because there are so many more of them. Lefties are a different story: you can play further outside for the simple reason that there is less traffic (you are usually the only one on the pair), and less friction built up in the track area from much less use.
    No apologies...lol. I tried slowing down the first game tonight but it was bad. My timing was still off and my ball was coming in too hard so I had to move a few boards in but had no pin action. I also moved my target in to the 2nd arrow to try to get some oil. The 2nd game I adjusted my timing but kept my speed up (footwork wise) but tried not to 'hurl' the ball. My speed did come down a little and the timing helped. Still need some work on it. The 3rd game I was hitting the pocket pretty good but just wasn't having any luck so switched to my Brunswick Rhino. Hardly any hook at all. More of an angle. But my speed was quite bit higher with the Rhino, probably because it was more of a straight path. But the timing was an improvement but needs more work.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 32

Not really sure that you were the particular point of Rob's anyway. Although all modern balls are at least somewhat aggressive I wouldn't put either of your two listed balls in that verity of overly aggressive for THS category.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Not really sure that you were the particular point of Rob's anyway. Although all modern balls are at least somewhat aggressive I wouldn't put either of your two listed balls in that verity of overly aggressive for THS category.
    Sorry. That was based on a PM me and Rob had last week. True that the BWG isn't overly aggressive but in terms of my experience and balls I have used it is more aggressive than anything I have ever had.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 32

Sorry. That was based on a PM me and Rob had last week. True that the BWG isn't overly aggressive but in terms of my experience and balls I have used it is more aggressive than anything I have ever had.
    That makes more sense. For most players something as aggressive as the BWG is about as strong as needed for THS
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    That makes more sense. For most players something as aggressive as the BWG is about as strong as needed for THS
    And THS is all I play, unless our house doesn't use that? I only have bowled our leagues and no plans as of yet to do any tourneys. As far as I know I have never played anything but THS. I entered small local tourneys when in high school but they were all jr. level tourneys.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12