Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Rip'd I've been waiting for

Chats: 0

Default Finally got my Rip'd I've been waiting for

Wow just Wow is all I can say. I bought it strictly for bowling on a sport pattern but of course I had to try it out at work. Since we use the 42' THS shot it is difficult to keep that baby on the right of the headpin. I had to completely re-adjust my line and play really far left. I was throwing it over the 22 and swinging it out to the 3 board almost like I go after a 10 pin. Man it comes back and hits like a nuclear bomb! After the first game trying different lines I found that one. Pin action is just sick with it. I don't even have to hit the pocket and everything flies everywhere. When I do it's just BOOM! All 10 in the pit sounding like it went through the wall. Second game I shot now my 3rd 279 in so many weeks. Left a wiggling 9 pin after the first 8.

I had to throw it completely flat wristed and basically a straight ball going over the thumb hole to pick up spares on that side or it would have hooked right past them. It's a completely different world with a modern ball. I had it drilled with a little more reverse pitch on the thumb and it's 15#. I get out of it nice and clean. I still have to work on my ball speed, I tried slowing it down but on that shot any slower I'd have surely crossed over to brooklyn every time. I couldn't be happier with it. Now I have to really think of my next ball which will work best where I work. I'm actually thinking Storm for that one. I'm gonna have to get it soon because I don't want to put too many games on the Rip'd before I get on a sport shot with it.

I had to laugh, I was bowling next to a league with it and a number of people approached me asking me to join their team next season LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Yep. The only real 'hook' ball I had thrown was my Cobalt Rhino urethane I bought around 1990 (and my Black Beauty but it didn't hook that much). I saw these guys throwing big hooks and thought man, wish I could do that. Got that Storm Sync off a fellow bowler and my first shot was 'holy crap!' I thought I was going to take out the 7 pin cause it kept going straight then was like 'well here we are' and turned right hard. Definitely different than the old balls.

High Roller

Testing my new signature...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I have found out since I came back from a 14 year layoff that I can't consistently shoot well with a high end ball like my no rules pearl. I have been using the all out show off or Hywire which is a weaker pieces on these THS. Glad the ripped is working for you but I just feel they use up a lot of there energy on a THS . Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    I have found out since I came back from a 14 year layoff that I can't consistently shoot well with a high end ball like my no rules pearl. I have been using the all out show off or Hywire which is a weaker pieces on these THS. Glad the ripped is working for you but I just feel they use up a lot of there energy on a THS . Steve
    I agree, I was merely testing it out at work. Trust me, if the mechanic would let me lay down a sport pattern to bowl on I'd do it in a second. It's not something I plan to use often at work. The temptation was too high to just let it sit in my bag LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowler

got to try this out along with Track Alias (asymm drill), paradox black, ultra heat and the Columbia Lit. i wish i had time to try the rip'd solid but i definitely liked this ball. not as much as the Lit though but they (lit and ripd solid) spec out to pretty similar. for a less aggressive ball that you are looking for you might be best just taking whatever entry level reactive ball your PSO has. you mentioned storm - so maybe your PSO has a tropical breeze that can be had for a decent price

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    got to try this out along with Track Alias (asymm drill), paradox black, ultra heat and the Columbia Lit. i wish i had time to try the rip'd solid but i definitely liked this ball. not as much as the Lit though but they (lit and ripd solid) spec out to pretty similar. for a less aggressive ball that you are looking for you might be best just taking whatever entry level reactive ball your PSO has. you mentioned storm - so maybe your PSO has a tropical breeze that can be had for a decent price
    I can definitely get a ball for a decent price through work. Everyone seems to rave about Storm products and they are popular on the tour so most likely something in their line is what I'll go for next. I was thinking Roto before but I can always go that route down the road. I can always find a way to make just about any ball work for me. Over the years as I've mentioned I've had just short of 50 total balls back in the days. The only ball I truly hated was some solid color greenish Ebonite I bought that had a lightning bolt on it. I don't remember the name but it was horrible. Firebolt, Thunderbolt I dunno something "bolt" I know what "bolt" I would call it but I'd rather keep it "G" rated. By far the worst ball I ever owned.

I don't know if Ebonite is better or worse now but I would be extremely reluctant to purchase anything branded by them. Yes I am aware they own Hammer but I have to say even though that's the case it still feels genuine Hammer like when they were Faball to me. It's more of a mental thing I guess. That said I probably wouldn't have bought it if it was engraved Ebonite Rip'd. LOL Us humans are goofy aren't we? Well, I know I am but that goes without saying.
    Bowling Center Manager

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I can definitely get a ball for a decent price through work. Everyone seems to rave about Storm products and they are popular on the tour so most likely something in their line is what I'll go for next. I was thinking Roto before but I can always go that route down the road. I can always find a way to make just about any ball work for me. Over the years as I've mentioned I've had just short of 50 total balls back in the days. The only ball I truly hated was some solid color greenish Ebonite I bought that had a lightning bolt on it. I don't remember the name but it was horrible. Firebolt, Thunderbolt I dunno something "bolt" I know what "bolt" I would call it but I'd rather keep it "G" rated. By far the worst ball I ever owned.

I don't know if Ebonite is better or worse now but I would be extremely reluctant to purchase anything branded by them. Yes I am aware they own Hammer but I have to say even though that's the case it still feels genuine Hammer like when they were Faball to me. It's more of a mental thing I guess. That said I probably wouldn't have bought it if it was engraved Ebonite Rip'd. LOL Us humans are goofy aren't we? Well, I know I am but that goes without saying.
    Usually, the only Ebonite balls I see being used are the Maxim polyester spare balls and entry level Cyclones.
    Most of what I see being used is from Storm/Roto-Grip, Brunswick/DV8/Radical. I see a few Hammers, 900 Globals, and Motivs.
    John

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    The only ball I truly hated was some solid color greenish Ebonite I bought that had a lightning bolt on it. I don't remember the name but it was horrible. Firebolt, Thunderbolt I dunno something "bolt" I know what "bolt" I would call it but I'd rather keep it "G" rated. By far the worst ball I ever owned.
    was it an ugly green? Ebonite had a greenish looking thunderbolt.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    was it an ugly green? Ebonite had a greenish looking thunderbolt.

The Ebonite Thunderbolt was a Black Urethane ball, There was also a Thunderbolt M/D which is a pearl & bluish color and the black D/B

Now there was the Ebonite FireBolt SO which was Green/Black

Of course Storm had a "Bolt" series with the "Bolt" a Solid green.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast