Thread: Becoming a bowling coach?

Default Becoming a bowling coach?

Hi all.

Long time, no post. I've been considering becoming a USBC Level 1 bowling coach. My question is: Is it worth it if I don't bowl in tournaments, etc? And is level 1 enough? I would go higher, but I don't really want to take a couple of days off for a seminar for the other levels. I don't really see how I could promote myself (if I wanted to) as a USBC certified coach if I'm only a level 1 coach and don't bowl in tournaments.

If anything, I can use it to improve my own bowling game, though.

Thoughts?

Chats: 0

A level 1 coach is just an online test for $49. The material seems is pretty basic stuff. You don't have to be in tournaments to teach others. The levels (1, bronze etc) at least where I work mean you can charge more the higher level you are. Plus as in anything the higher level you are the more skilled people are going to come to you. I doubt as a level 1 you'd get too many 240 average bowlers asking for coaching. Then again you never know. It depends on the reputation you build for yourself as a coach. I've met several coaches now at my work and I can't say higher level means better. Everyone has their own methods as well as opinions, it just matters if they are compatible with what you are looking to get out of the lesson.

Taking the online test to improve your own game in my opinion wouldn't be money well spent. You'd get more out of watching Norm Duke videos and those are free. I need to take the online test at some point soon to become "official" for work. I help out coaching kids one two of the leagues. They are mainly 10 and under kids so 99% of what you tell them they pay little attention to unless your creative.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Hi all.

Long time, no post. I've been considering becoming a USBC Level 1 bowling coach. My question is: Is it worth it if I don't bowl in tournaments, etc? And is level 1 enough? I would go higher, but I don't really want to take a couple of days off for a seminar for the other levels. I don't really see how I could promote myself (if I wanted to) as a USBC certified coach if I'm only a level 1 coach and don't bowl in tournaments.

If anything, I can use it to improve my own bowling game, though.

Thoughts?
    Learning how to coach is not the same as learning how to bowl. Level 1 coaches are trained to teach the fundamentals of the game to beginers or people who have been bowling casually for years who desire to get up to the intermidiate level of skill. This is not to say that you will not learn anything in either the on-line training or a USA Bowling seminar that will help your game. I’m just saying that depending on you current skill level you might not.

If your goal is to improve as a bowler, get a good coach. If you want to get into coaching level one is the place to start.
    John

If you do become a coach communicate and respond to your students! Been trying to get lessons here where I live with a silver level coach. He responded to my first email with a couple of questions and pricing. I responded and was ready to set up my first lesson but after 2+ weeks and a couple of follow-up emails I've yet to get a response. Doesn't put a good taste in my mouth for using him as a coach.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    If you do become a coach communicate and respond to your students! Been trying to get lessons here where I live with a silver level coach. He responded to my first email with a couple of questions and pricing. I responded and was ready to set up my first lesson but after 2+ weeks and a couple of follow-up emails I've yet to get a response. Doesn't put a good taste in my mouth for using him as a coach.
    Wow, he's either really busy giving lessons or could care less about doing it. It could be taken both ways. Unfortunately it's probably going to be the latter. Not a good way to start. Sorry to hear about that mx1alex. Good advice though.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)