Thread: Brunswick Mini-Camp

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Default Brunswick Mini-Camp

I spent yesterday at the Brunswick Mini-Camp held at Nutmeg Bowl in Fairfield CT. It was a lot of fun to meet and be coached by Jason Sterner, Ryan Shafer, Sean Rash, Chuck Gardner, and Parker Bohn III. It was also fun to be coached along side some of the kids that I coach each week.

I was somewhat surprised that they made only three fairly subtle suggestions to me. Two were very slight changes to my set-up position, and one was about shortening my first step.

The other surprise was the changes that they got out of kids who we have been trying to get to change for years. We knew that, at least for bowling, the kids listen to us more than their parents. Obviously pro bowlers rank a lot higher than bronze and silver level coaches.

One last highlight, at the end of our time on the lanes, we were put into four teams of 5 or 6 campers with one pro on each team, and bowled two Baker games. I bowled with Jason Sterner’s team. We had the highest game and the highest pin total for the two games. Only three opens, and all three were big splits.
    John

Chats: 256

Nice, would love to do one of these if they did them in Dallas area.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I almost signed up for that camp since I'm only 90 minutes away.

Bowling Guru

First outing after the mini-camp: 202, 212, 183, 597 series. Missed a ten pin to end the first game. Started the second by leaving the 2-4-8 and let the ball deflect off the 2 leaving the 8. Started the last game with the 4-5-7 and only got the 4&7 pins. Then missed another 10 pin a few frames later.

Given that I was only averaging 183 in this league I’m only mad about missing the two ten pins.
    John

Nice. I need to see if they do a camp like that somewhere near where I'm at in Missouri.

Bowling Guru

Two more outings since the camp:

Thursday I was a bit off at the end of the first game, came back with a 198 the second and finished with a 233.

Tonight started with a 201, then shot 234, and finished with 200 even.

So in nine games since the mini-camp there are six 200 or more, and only one game under average.
    John