Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct follow through end point and position?

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Okay "go out" is the arm with shoulder extension swinging upwards till the wrist is above the level of the head or are you saying the wrist only barely went up so that's not really going up so isn't really follow through.

Either way That's still just seems like letting the arm naturally "following through" swinging upwards, just with the shoulder extension mentioned.

I think We're basically saying the same thing just saying it differently, We both agree that you shouldn't force the arm up to make the arm follow through upwards.
    I really try to imagine everyone who posts here. I can't help but picturing the occasional bowler who finishes with their follow through going straight up toward the ceiling, or elbow-bent behind their ear. Written words are really an ineffective way of communicating... and this coming from a 45 year professional writer!

Chats: 0

Unfortunately I haven't gotten any new video as of yet or I'd certainly upload it, it does make life easier. Time hasn't been on my side to be able to do it much for myself, my son or for further critique online. It works both ways though Rob, sometimes when given advice it's difficult to picture it as well. I guess we all do the best we can. Imagine how difficult it is for the writers to do it for movies. All we can do is hope our questions and or advice are in essence writing a scene with our words. Some are better at it than others.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Different opinions are what makes the world go round. IMHO, there three things that make the follow through go up: 1) forcing it, 2) getting the ball off of the fingers to soon, 3) lifting with the fingers. If the fingers are staying in the ball long enough to roll it without lifting, the only thing that the follow through can do is to go out... not up.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Note that in all cases the wrist is just barely above the level of the head with the exception of "Fancy Pants" who was the only one of the five who was on the side of the ball rather than behind it. Also note the shoulder extension in all five bowlers. That's what I'm talking about.
    Lat time I check your head is "up" in relation to where you release the ball. Every pro I've ever scene follows through "up". As bowl1820 said that doesn't mean they are lifting...simply following through from momentum. Hard to let go of a 15-16lb ball at 18-20mph and not have your hand finish high unless you purposely hold it back.

Again, "up" is relative to the position that your body is in. A great majority of modern bowlers do not finish with their wrist above the level of the heads. A good goal for bowlers is to finish at shoulder height. You probably won't be able to do it, but using it as a goal will keep your follow through in the correct neighborhood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12