Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the coaches here

Chats: 0

Default Question for the coaches here

Do all of you coaches on here coach kids? When I was at work yesterday I was covering for one of the coaches on our kids league. I have to admit I watched these kids and all but one were really green and I didn't really have much to offer. When I say green I mean kids that walked to the line, stopped and flung the 6 lb ball on the lane and turned around to tackle their siblings. Leaning a 4 or 5 step approach would be an obvious first step. I mean I had a couple ideas that if they were my kids on what I would instruct them to do but I kept it to myself. They aren't my kids and mainly because I didn't want to step on the toes of the other coaches since I wasn't briefed on what these kids were already told.

I still haven't gotten certified just yet but it's on the to do soon list. How would you feel if you were coaching a kid and someone else coach or not taught them something that maybe was a part of your plan or wasn't? Now I can watch an adult or skilled child and come up with all kinds of ideas and suggestions. At the counter I watch people all day long and think, "If they only did this they'd do so much better". Again, I usually keep it to myself unless they directly ask me. I also find it counter productive trying to teach someone using a house ball. As a coach, can you choose your demographic and the type of bowler you prefer to teach or is it all or nothing? IMO aside from my own children I would be much better helping someone tweak their game vs. teach it from the ground up.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

While I rarely coach beginners of any age, I did coach Jr. Gold bowlers for about a year. I finally stopped, not because of the kids, but because of the parents. In a great majority of cases, the parents resented qualified coaches helping their kids... they thought they could do a better job themselves.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Do all of you coaches on here coach kids? When I was at work yesterday I was covering for one of the coaches on our kids league. I have to admit I watched these kids and all but one were really green and I didn't really have much to offer. When I say green I mean kids that walked to the line, stopped and flung the 6 lb ball on the lane and turned around to tackle their siblings. Leaning a 4 or 5 step approach would be an obvious first step. I mean I had a couple ideas that if they were my kids on what I would instruct them to do but I kept it to myself. They aren't my kids and mainly because I didn't want to step on the toes of the other coaches since I wasn't briefed on what these kids were already told.

I still haven't gotten certified just yet but it's on the to do soon list. How would you feel if you were coaching a kid and someone else coach or not taught them something that maybe was a part of your plan or wasn't? Now I can watch an adult or skilled child and come up with all kinds of ideas and suggestions. At the counter I watch people all day long and think, "If they only did this they'd do so much better". Again, I usually keep it to myself unless they directly ask me. I also find it counter productive trying to teach someone using a house ball. As a coach, can you choose your demographic and the type of bowler you prefer to teach or is it all or nothing? IMO aside from my own children I would be much better helping someone tweak their game vs. teach it from the ground up.
    The good news for you is that the Level One training has a lot to say about working with newbies.

All of the coaches that I work along side have had the experience of having someone else teach something one or more of the kids we work with. With at least seven volunteers in our program, and not assigning kids to a particular coach, most of the time it is a fellow coach. We have had a few instances of egos getting bruised and one time when voices got raised, but most of the time we’re just happy when it finally starts to click with the kid. My biggest pet peeve is with the parents who spend all three games telling their children what they did wrong after every frame that wasn’t a strike. The other big one is fairly decent house shot bowlers who offer the kids unsolicited advise when we aren’t around and the next thing you know, a kid is following through like it’s 1980.
    John

Cranker

I think as a coach you could always choose what kind of students you take on. I think people who are willing to pay for lessons are probably more apt to own their own ball and shoes anyway. For beginners who are throwing house balls, they're probably better candidates for doing a beginner level clinic. Maybe do a clinic for like $20/person where you cover basic timing, aiming and bowling safety and etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    While I rarely coach beginners of any age, I did coach Jr. Gold bowlers for about a year. I finally stopped, not because of the kids, but because of the parents. In a great majority of cases, the parents resented qualified coaches helping their kids... they thought they could do a better job themselves.
    Yeah that's pretty universal no matter the sport. I coached soccer for 5 years all 1st place finishes last two years undefeated and parents still thought they could do it better LOL It's the nature of the beast. Baseball I did for two years finished 1st in those and same thing only the parents were way worse. I figured bowling they'd at least be a little more low key about it. Now that you brought this point up and I remember all the drama I'm getting to old to deal with I think I may just stick to adults and teens.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Wow, sorry John and Jason I don't want you to think I ignored you. Both of you commented within a minute of each other while I was replying to Rob.

John, the main two who work with the kids are both polar opposites. One is a pretty low level bowler but I think she does it because she likes working with kids. I think she's more of a "lets make it fun, heavy on ettiquite and safety" way of teaching. Nothing really wrong with that.

The other is a decent thumbless bowler but is rather intriguing with his throw a backup ball approach at the 10 pin which is unusual. I'm just glad he don't teach it! He seems to be more heavy on the equipment side of things and what's best for them and he is well informed on that aspect. He gets them the stuff they need and how to use it. He don't get them stuff that looks cool under black lights. They both offer very different takes and approaches when it comes to coaching as you can see.

Neither seem to focus much on the "How to's" with form and methodology of it which is probably why I seen the kids doing what they were doing. Maybe it's the demographic? I see the two coaches are playing to their strengths on what they know and going with that which is probably correct. I can see why having multiple coaches would help make them more rounded. If it's done properly with the right mix of people then stepping on toes shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I was thinking of it all wrong with being able to have a roll with kids. If I were to jump on the pile as a co-coach teaching the "how to's" since that's more my style I may be of value in that way? I do think that if I were to join on with that role that Jason has it correct in the sense of doing it as a "clinic" and an all at once vs. one on one. That could be the key for me in coaching kids. Plus a clinic would cut down on the risk of parental drama.

As for adults, I don't think I would have any patience with house baller "I just don't want to look like an idiot in front of my girlfriend" type of student regardless of what they pay for instruction. If they are adult, I would prefer someone who has at least a grasp on the fundamentals where I could critique and tweak vs. start from scratch. Those would be my one on one students. For both groups I think that would be playing to MY strengths.

Jason, John & Rob, Thank all of you for your responses, this gave me a lot to think about and a different perspective than I had before.
    Bowling Center Manager

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Wow, sorry John and Jason I don't want you to think I ignored you. Both of you commented within a minute of each other while I was replying to Rob.

John, the main two who work with the kids are both polar opposites. One is a pretty low level bowler but I think she does it because she likes working with kids. I think she's more of a "lets make it fun, heavy on ettiquite and safety" way of teaching. Nothing really wrong with that.

The other is a decent thumbless bowler but is rather intriguing with his throw a backup ball approach at the 10 pin which is unusual. I'm just glad he don't teach it! He seems to be more heavy on the equipment side of things and what's best for them and he is well informed on that aspect. He gets them the stuff they need and how to use it. He don't get them stuff that looks cool under black lights. They both offer very different takes and approaches when it comes to coaching as you can see.

Neither seem to focus much on the "How to's" with form and methodology of it which is probably why I seen the kids doing what they were doing. Maybe it's the demographic? I see the two coaches are playing to their strengths on what they know and going with that which is probably correct. I can see why having multiple coaches would help make them more rounded. If it's done properly with the right mix of people then stepping on toes shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I was thinking of it all wrong with being able to have a roll with kids. If I were to jump on the pile as a co-coach teaching the "how to's" since that's more my style I may be of value in that way? I do think that if I were to join on with that role that Jason has it correct in the sense of doing it as a "clinic" and an all at once vs. one on one. That could be the key for me in coaching kids. Plus a clinic would cut down on the risk of parental drama.

As for adults, I don't think I would have any patience with house baller "I just don't want to look like an idiot in front of my girlfriend" type of student regardless of what they pay for instruction. If they are adult, I would prefer someone who has at least a grasp on the fundamentals where I could critique and tweak vs. start from scratch. Those would be my one on one students. For both groups I think that would be playing to MY strengths.

Jason, John & Rob, Thank all of you for your responses, this gave me a lot to think about and a different perspective than I had before.
    Our program is large enough to be split into two parts; a bumper group of younger children who are either pre-school or just starting to bowl. The three people who usually deal with them are all good bowlers and one is a teacher. Even so they mainly focus on keeping the kids safe and letting them enjoy the game. It also is run in 8 week sessions so if a child or a parent wants or needs to take a break from it it's not a big deal.

The regular youth league runs from as young as 6 or 7 up to 20 years old. More focus on warming up before you pick up a ball, and more focus on technique. Usually at least four coaches moving from pair to pair during the three games of league play and, unless we get a late start or there's a special event scheduled, at least one coach will stay for an hour long clinic where we can work with the kids in more detail.

I can see where you don't want to step on the toes of the people who are coaching now, and a one time clinic would cause the least disruption. However coaching is based almost as much on trust as it is on knowledge of the sport. The more often that you work with the kids, the more they will learn that you are worth listening to, the more they will be willing to try to do what you ask. But then again, you already know this from soccer and baseball.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I can see where you don't want to step on the toes of the people who are coaching now, and a one time clinic would cause the least disruption. However coaching is based almost as much on trust as it is on knowledge of the sport. The more often that you work with the kids, the more they will learn that you are worth listening to, the more they will be willing to try to do what you ask. But then again, you already know this from soccer and baseball.
    Since you put it that way, does that mean if the kids are screwing around and not listening I make them take a lap around the bowling alley? LOL Just kidding but saying it would probably be funny and kids respond to humor better than being boring. Yeah I agree on the trust. I think it's definitely a challenge to earn it given the atmosphere, it's not like being on a field. I never thought of using methods I implemented in those other sports for bowling.

To earn their trust have you ever bowled in front of them to show them what you can do? I know open bowling it's not difficult to draw a crowd intentional or not, perhaps a little showboating could be a way to grab their attention? Demonstration along with just instruction? Do you guys ever actually throw a ball yourself to help show them what you're talking about? I never had to do that in Soccer which is good because I suck at it.
    Bowling Center Manager

Ringer

I do not have any experience in coaching and am not experienced enough to be able to give advice on coaching bowling. however it reminds of when i was in little league. I felt I had great coaches and I never did see any issues with the parents like what you may see these days. our head coach was all about making practice and the games fun even though we were competitive. I was with the same coach for 3 years and we always did fun stuff besides just practice or he came up with creative ways to help us learn the skills. I am sure there are plenty of drills that can be fun and challenging and would engage the kids. may even work for adults.

the only thing I really instructed was a community youth fishing program for a while. very challenging working with all different abilities and ages. i had to always be customizing my approach for every kid in the group. but I have to say teaching what you are passionate about is rewarding.
    Last edited by bdpeters; 04-20-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    I do not have any experience in coaching and am not experienced enough to be able to give advice on coaching bowling. however it reminds of when i was in little league. I felt I had great coaches and I never did see any issues with the parents like what you may see these days. our head coach was all about making practice and the games fun even though we were competitive. I was with the same coach for 3 years and we always did fun stuff besides just practice or he came up with creative ways to help us learn the skills. I am sure there are plenty of drills that can be fun and challenging and would engage the kids. may even work for adults.

the only thing I really instructed was a community youth fishing program for a while. very challenging working with all different abilities and ages. i had to always be customizing my approach for every kid in the group. but I have to say teaching what you are passionate about is rewarding.

Oh yeah, in baseball you couldn't swing a cat by the tail without smacking a loud mouth know it all parent. It was terrible and took the fun out of it. During games I'd just let the umps kick them out and let them watch the game from their car. During practice was when you had to deal with them more. That's why I only coached it two seasons. Soccer wasn't bad, I only had a couple loud mouths and once they got a talking to they stopped. I can't see bowling being near as bad. I suppose if parents get too involved in it, I could always put them on a lane on the farthest away to bowl dollar games to get them out of my face LOL

It was rewarding watching the kids dominate. Coming up with fun drills does help as well as good rewards and incentives for wins. Adults vs. kids in both sports always went over well too, that got everyone excited. That could be a thing in bowling too.
    Bowling Center Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast