Thread: Generating interest for leagues and tournaments

Chats: 0

Default Generating interest for leagues and tournaments

Talking with the boss about putting together some certified leagues and tournaments. He said there is no interest so they don't do it. Why wouldn't there be interest?? Why wouldn't people want to bowl on a league where the rules are enforced and you get something out of getting honor scores? He claims that our center has a reputation for being too difficult. LMAO, it's a 42" Christmas tree on wood lanes! On what planet is that too difficult??

Plopping a ball somewhere between 5-15 with a little hook to get in or near the pocket is too difficult? Come on! I suppose for Fred Flintstone delivery with a house ball it would be. I don't think our house has a reputation for being too difficult, I think our beer selection is just too good. Maybe that's why it's difficult because most of our client base is too bombed to bowl properly? Seriously though, how I can I get interest and attract some serious bowlers? Any suggestions?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

Money, guarantee a certain amount for 1st place
    Bowl on Sunday morning at 10 a.m.

Really? Sunday morning? I wouldn't have ever pegged that for a time slot. Now that you say that it is when I have the most regulars come in. It's the one day they are waiting in the parking lot for us to open. Plus it is $1 a game from 9-1 on Sunday. It would interfere with church go'ers though unless they go to early mass. I know early mass isn't my preference, a big pain to get my family up early on Sunday. All the moaning and groaning.

So what is good prize money now a days that would draw people? It would also be wise to know what the average entry fee is as well.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Bowler

My league is all 25-40 yr old and our biggest sticking point is start time. Most places want our league to start too early. We work too much to start before 8 on a weekday

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    My league is all 25-40 yr old and our biggest sticking point is start time. Most places want our league to start too early. We work too much to start before 8 on a weekday
    Our leagues all start at different times. We pretty much let the leagues set them up however they want to, start time, duration, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly. We just provide the lanes, as long as the house is paid we don't care how they work it and we're hands off.
    Bowling Center Manager