Thread: Did I Just Ruin My Bowling Ball?

Default Did I Just Ruin My Bowling Ball?

First, it's a Pyramid Path Rising Pearl Reactive coverstock (beautiful blue color). Last week, I tried rubbing it all over with the back side of a sponge - green scrubby part, to 'add surface' to it. I also applied some Tac Up spray, and it looked as shiny as ever. However, I've noticed that I'm not getting the reaction that I used to, and there's a gummy substance (resin, I'm sure), on the sponge itself.

Did I do it wrong? Or am I more likely just 'burning up' on the way down the lane? I'm not nearly consistent enough yet to know for sure, but I am applying some pretty good spin on the ball lately...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    First, it's a Pyramid Path Rising Pearl Reactive coverstock (beautiful blue color). Last week, I tried rubbing it all over with the back side of a sponge - green scrubby part, to 'add surface' to it. I also applied some Tac Up spray, and it looked as shiny as ever. However, I've noticed that I'm not getting the reaction that I used to, and there's a gummy substance (resin, I'm sure), on the sponge itself.

Did I do it wrong? Or am I more likely just 'burning up' on the way down the lane? I'm not nearly consistent enough yet to know for sure, but I am applying some pretty good spin on the ball lately...
    If all you did was rub it with a green "scotchbrite" and use tacup you wouldnt ruin the ball. It would have just made it duller.

If it was as shiny as before I doubt it was a actual scotchbrite pad, probably just a plastic scrubber.

The gummy substance wouldnt be resin, that is something else. What I dont know. The green scrubby part on the back of some sponges might not be the same as a scotchbrite. Some of those have cleaners impregnated in them that you dont want also.

You say you didnt get the reaction you did before, well you changed the surface it stands to reason it wouldnt react the same as it did before.

The thing is why did you want to change the surface? What did you want it to do that it wasnt doing before?

How is it acting now that you changed it vs what it did before?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-20-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    If all you did was rub it with a green "scotchbrite" and use tacup you wouldnt ruin the ball. It would have just made it duller.

If it was as shiny as before I doubt it was a actual scotchbrite pad, probably just a plastic scrubber.

The gummy substance wouldnt be resin, that is something else. What I dont know. The green scrubby part on the back of some sponges might not be the same as a scotchbrite. Some of those have cleaners impregnated in them that you dont want also.

You say you didnt get the reaction you did before, well you changed the surface it stands to reason it wouldnt react the same as it did before.

The thing is why did you want to change the surface? What did you want it to do that it wasnt doing before?

How is it acting now that you changed it vs what it did before?
    Hmm, now I'm even more concerned lol Not sure what the residue is - maybe old oil?

As for the intent, I'm still too speed-dominant, and I don't want to buy a bunch of bowling balls to compensate. I was getting a bit more of a reaction when I first got the ball, and I understand that it's probably getting a bit oil-soaked, over the past few months. From reading the topics here, I saw that it's possible to add surface, in order to increase grip. Basically, I just want to get more hook on the ball, and I'm looking for a shortcut.

From what you're saying though, it sounds like the degree of 'surface' is directly related to shinyness on the cover - I thought it may be more invisible than that. If that's the case, then I suppose I haven't done much of anything to it.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Washing and polishing the ball would have been the first thing. That balls finish is 1500 abralon. Was it green scotchbrite ? That’s like 600 grit. Was your ball sliding with no roll? Or just not biting at the end?

Chats: 0

No need to panic. You'd have to use something acidic or excessive heat to actually ruin a ball. For simple surface change goofs you can bring it to your PSO and a few minutes on a ball spinner it's good as new. Whatever surface you want it to have then let them know and they can do it. If you want it back to original out of box surface they can do that too.

If it's oil soaked the PSO also probably has the ball oven or similar device to draw it out as well.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    Washing and polishing the ball would have been the first thing. That balls finish is 1500 abralon. Was it green scotchbrite ? That’s like 600 grit. Was your ball sliding with no roll? Or just not biting at the end?
    Not biting at the end. Again, I'm not getting enough revs on the ball probably, for my speed, though. I see a skid, spin, and roll phase, but the turn never seems to turn like I'd expect. At best, I can manage a down-and-in shot, but nothing inside, ever.

Chats: 64

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Not biting at the end. Again, I'm not getting enough revs on the ball probably, for my speed, though. I see a skid, spin, and roll phase, but the turn never seems to turn like I'd expect. At best, I can manage a down-and-in shot, but nothing inside, ever.
    Sounds like the surface may be too roughed up. If the ball is burning up ( rolling out ) it would be because the ball is grabbing the lane too early. Actually more polish with a higher base (2000) would give you more distance and store up the movement for the backend. If doing a 2000 base make sure you run it through the lower levels properly first, i.e., 600/1000/1500 then 2000.