Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finger insert expansion?

Chats: 0

Yep, I do the cover the thumb hole thing usually with a bowling towel and try to jam it in. It does work. I doubt I would do the Chapstick trick although I have heard it. I don't like putting foreign substances on my thumb like goops or powders. New Skin is about the only thing but that's only if I REALLY have to. Surprisingly since I've came back to bowling I haven't had any callus issues on my thumb. Swelling yes so I've resorted to the towel trick a few times.

What I've done to get by with my fingertips is just dampen them slightly so they slip into the grips during warm up. It's worked but it's still uncomfortable.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 04-22-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

If your fingers only hurt for 5-6 balls you should try manning up! Or try a 1/2 size larger insert.
    Now an admission, I was trying to be funny when I made up the hyper what ever it was. Who knew it was real malady?

Nice! You had it close. You just forgot the "e" LOL It's not a matter of manning up though. I definitely have issues with my hand, it hurts all the time and I have problems simply opening twist off beer bottles. Not good for a bartender but we have bottle openers so no biggie. It just REALLY hurts the first 5-6 balls much more than normal, it's tolerable after that. Bowling isn't the cause, I'm sure it doesn't help.

The cause is my pinky finger bone is separated from my hand bone, just held together by basically a rubber band of cartilage. Then I have two soft tissue benign tumors on my palm below my ring finger which causes a pulling when I stretch the ring and middle fingers. It was more about the inserts being too tight when I first started. I didn't really think about my fingers tips shrinking, I thought it was the insert expanding.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 2

It's usually fingers swelling. However, with softer grips, I usually don't have any issues. I used to use Vise and I would have to get some ice water and soak my fingers (especially come tourney season). But ever since I switched to Ultimate's this season, I haven't had any issues.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Tomorrow I'm gonna head to work early to throw a few so I'm gonna try the ice water bit to see if that helps. I may try going to the clear grips, from what I understand they are the softest ones. They wear out quicker....meh...so I have to replace them more often, it's worth the trade off. I gotta call that hand doctor in the morning and get moving on that too, it's not going to get better with age.
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

I have the clear ones in both balls. Can't say for sure how soft they are compared to others but feel pretty soft. I had yellow ones in my old ball 20 years ago but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday so there is that....lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Tomorrow I'm gonna head to work early to throw a few so I'm gonna try the ice water bit to see if that helps. I may try going to the clear grips, from what I understand they are the softest ones. They wear out quicker....meh...so I have to replace them more often, it's worth the trade off. I gotta call that hand doctor in the morning and get moving on that too, it's not going to get better with age.
    Usually color does make some difference, but brand does as well. I was swapping Vise and Turbo inserts far too often (about 50-60 games). I've gotten around 100 games out of my Ultimates and they are still like new. Not to mention, I used to get a split in my finger from the turbo's and vise where my finger would rest. With the Ultimates, I don't. Hands down the best grips I've found so far.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12