Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger insert expansion?

Chats: 0

Default Finger insert expansion?

I notice when I first pick up my ball it's rather difficult to get my fingers in the inserts (white) all the way but after about 5 or 6 balls I get them in comfortably. It was like that with my 16# ball too before I switched. Do these things expand or soften up after a few shots or is it that my finger tips are swollen and go down some? I'm wondering if I should go up a size or maybe change to a softer insert? It's rather uncomfortable during warm up, even a tad painful at first. Once I'm warmed up I'm fine.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

It is your fingers shrinking not the hole growing. That is mostly because of hyperlongation.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    It is your fingers shrinking not the hole growing. That is mostly because of hyperlongation.
    Hyper-elongation meaning finger stiffness, yeah that makes sense hence the discomfort. Probably caused from still using some lift on my release. That and a rough 46 yrs on my hands. They've been burnt, cut, smashed, twisted and broken multiple times over the years in addition to soft tissue damage and a separated bone on my pinky I still haven't had treated. I guess I shouldn't be shocked. My hands look pretty rough for my age.

I didn't really mean the holes were actually growing, I figured the inserts just softened up making it easier to slide my finger tips in. Bad choice of words
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I notice when I first pick up my ball it's rather difficult to get my fingers in the inserts (white) all the way but after about 5 or 6 balls I get them in comfortably. It was like that with my 16# ball too before I switched. Do these things expand or soften up after a few shots or is it that my finger tips are swollen and go down some? I'm wondering if I should go up a size or maybe change to a softer insert? It's rather uncomfortable during warm up, even a tad painful at first. Once I'm warmed up I'm fine.
    Your fingers are swollen and are going down, First watch what you eat/drink before bowling, like lots of salt, liquids etc.

Some Options:
    1: Before bowling put your fingertips in a cup of ice to help shrink them.
    2: Take a wood dowel and wrap a piece of sand paper around it and sand the backside of the hole to open the insert up "a little" (Don't do the front side or it shortens the span)
    3: Go up a half size in grips.
    4: Use Vacu-grips (or do the fake vacu-grip)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I think I'll probably go up a half size. When I was at the PSO my fingers slid right in when he was sizing me but once inserted in the ball the tightness of them being in the hole lowered their size a tad. If they are still tight I can always go with option 2. I will definitely do option 1 as well as maybe take a couple ibuprofen an hour before and see if that helps. Now that I bowl as much as I do swelling is expected. I also need to get my butt back to that hand doctor and get the other issues taken care of once and for all, I sort of dropped the ball on that. (no pun intended) Thanks Bowl. =)
    Bowling Center Manager

High Roller

I heard years ago that wrapping your fingers in newspaper in between frames will help keep your fingers from swelling. I used to do it years ago but not sure if it really worked...lol.

My Brunswick grips are definitely tighter than my BWG grips. Is that bad? They are a little snug and not sure I could bowl 3 games with it without being in discomfort at the end. Probably should get those changed to match the BWG.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I heard years ago that wrapping your fingers in newspaper in between frames will help keep your fingers from swelling. I used to do it years ago but not sure if it really worked...lol.

My Brunswick grips are definitely tighter than my BWG grips. Is that bad? They are a little snug and not sure I could bowl 3 games with it without being in discomfort at the end. Probably should get those changed to match the BWG.
    Newspaper? LOL I think someone sold you a bill of goods on that cure. It sounds like something recommended back in the great depression days. I'd sooner recommend high doses of laxatives as a cure at a hospitals allergy ward. If your grips are too uncomfortable to get through 3 games without discomfort then YES replace them. Once I'm warmed up I can bowl all night without discomfort, it's just those first few shots that bother me. After that I'm golden.
    Bowling Center Manager

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Newspaper? LOL I think someone sold you a bill of goods on that cure.
    there may have been a little more to it than that, So Maybe not necessarily a bill of goods.

A temp. fix for a swollen thumb was taking a piece of paper (Like a dollar bill), napkin or handkerchief. Putting it over your thumb and then jamming it into your thumbhole for awhile. Then when ready to bowl, you pulled it out and your thumb was compressed a bit smaller and would be looser in the thumbhole for awhile.

The same principle would work for your fingers.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    there may have been a little more to it than that, So Maybe not necessarily a bill of goods.

A temp. fix for a swollen thumb was taking a piece of paper (Like a dollar bill), napkin or handkerchief. Putting it over your thumb and then jamming it into your thumbhole for awhile. Then when ready to bowl, you pulled it out and your thumb was compressed a bit smaller and would be looser in the thumbhole for awhile.

The same principle would work for your fingers.
    So you're saying there may be a chance.....lol (Dumb and Dumber quote)
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

So you're saying there may be a chance.....lol (Dumb and Dumber quote)
    There's all kinds of old school tips and tricks for quick fixes, Maybe not the most recommended things to do but in a pinch they could get you by.

Like Chapstick on the thumb is a old school trick for a sticky thumb, that's been around for years. I have some in bag right now, Just use it sparingly a little goes along way and remember to clean your thumbhole out once in awhile, it can build up in the hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast