Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: new usbc specs

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    With regards to the new rules, I wonder how they will test oil absorption.
    There's a video here

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...%80%99S-IMPACT

Scroll down to Bowling Technology Study - SECTION IV: Bowling Ball Oil Absorption Study

Basically they put a drop of oil on the ball and watch it and time how long it takes to be absorbed.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    The new rules from a PSO point of view. Talked to mine today and he's hopping mad about the new rules. He said he's going to lose a ton of business and money due to having to plug the holes because he's going to have to do many for free or risk losing the customers. I told him that he didn't make the rule so he shouldn't lose business because of it but I guess some people wouldn't share in that thought. He said the USBC tried this rule in the past but the ball manufacturers put a stop to it. He said he's ready to boycott the USBC because of it. He also feels that it will give a greater advantage to two handers but I really didn't understand his reasoning on it. Lastly, the less oil absorption cover stocks he feels will just result in the centers putting down less oil to compensate so people who need the aggressive balls will still be able to hook it so it won't result in preserving the shot. A different take on the situation so I figured I'd include it in this post.
    I talked to my PSO Wednesday since most of my balls do have a weight hole to meet the old static weight rules. He's not worried at all about the new rules. His initial response was "Ca-ching!" Since all the current balls are compliant, people who don't take care of their stuff will still be buying at least one new ball per season. At the point where the weight holes go away, he figures he'll have an upsurge in plugging old balls.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    At the point where the weight holes go away, he figures he'll have an upsurge in plugging old balls.
    That or he'll be selling new balls to all the people that say why bother putting money into a old ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 22

The rule about liquid cleaners during competition is concerning. When I get belt or grease marks on my ball, I spray it and clean it off. The rule says I can still do so, but only with the tournament/league honcho's approval. I have a feeling this won't be a big deal in a league setting, but stopping during a tournament to do a "Mother may I" to clean off a belt mark will be annoying.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by panbanger View Post
    The rule about liquid cleaners during competition is concerning. When I get belt or grease marks on my ball, I spray it and clean it off. The rule says I can still do so, but only with the tournament/league honcho's approval. I have a feeling this won't be a big deal in a league setting, but stopping during a tournament to do a "Mother may I" to clean off a belt mark will be annoying.
    Belt marks on the ball in most cases are due to filthy or poorly worn carpets (big belt in the pit that pulls pins to the pin lift wheel and angles ball to return door) Also if the ball lift belts are covered in crud or the ball wipes aren't on or changed at least once a week then you will get that stuff on the ball. Bottom line poor maintenance. Since liquid cleaners aren't approved anymore, bowlers need to complain to the center to make their pin chasers and mechanics to go do their job and clean the equipment or change the worn carpets!

It literally takes 5 minutes to clean a pair of pinsetter carpets and ball lift belts every few days or once a week. It's not rocket science, just a rag with some cleaner on it. Alcohol and Simple Green works great. Cleaning the gutters each time they oil and oiling daily will minimize debris carry down to the pit keeping the machinery cleaner. Of course there are some other situations like a pin getting caught in the carpet which could stir up debris or a ball stuck going up and down in the ball lift that can cause it among other things.

In most cases it's neglect and laziness by the guys in back so by all means make your voice heard to the counter to light a fire under their rear end. 99% of the time it can be avoided. At a good clean well maintained center your ball should come back with nothing but your oil rings. If enough people complain it may force the centers to do a better job. Google, Facebook and Yelp are also effective ways to get your point across if they don't listen. Trust me they look at these things if they have any dignity and care about their business. Bad reviews go a long way.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

No real effect here. It seems nobody in my center cares about rules anyway and people pretty much do whatever they want and nobody else pays attention. I could have thirteen holes in my bowling ball and nobody would say a word.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234