Thread: Smacked face first into yet another brick wall.

Chats: 0

Default Smacked face first into yet another brick wall. (Not literally)

Well....I went to work this morning to throw a few games since I didn't get a chance the other day. As discussed in the insert expanding thread, I took ibuprofen before I left and soaked my fingers in ice water for about 15 minutes before I got the lanes. Lets just say when I got home I made a new appointment with the hand doctor, hindsight I should have before. I went 5 frames into the first game, put my ball back in the locker and shut down the lanes. The pain was so bad I couldn't handle it anymore. It felt like someone smashed my fingers with a hammer. This was excruciating so please no "Man up" comments. I should have seen this coming last night when customers ordered domestic beer I couldn't twist off the bottle caps had to use an opener.

If I don't get this fixed somehow then it's gonna come down to either hanging it up for good or switching to leftie which I have serious doubts on my ability to do so. No guarantee my left hand is any better because it has the benign tumors too. I have such big plans and this is going to ruin everything! I overcame blowing out my knee after the beer on the bowling shoes incident and recovered quickly, the scar isn't even noticeable on my face anymore just one eyebrow looks thinner. I finally got a new ball and was making headway on the modern release.

I even signed up for a summer mixed league with my wife even though I'm not a fan of them. It's just something her and I can do together as a couple once a week for a little date night time which we seriously lack. I was doing something that made me happy for the first time in years. I'm so upset right now I can't even believe it. The doctor better be able to fix this! Do you know how bad it's going to suck working at a bowling alley and not being able to bowl? Lastly, I want to know who the woman was I cheated on in a previous life that's causing me to get all the grief in this one! SMH

Sorry for the rant but it's over now.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 04-26-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up. I'm sure they can figure it out and make it better.

BTW-when I first read the subject line I thought you meant 'literally'...lol. After the faceplant I thought 'oh no, not again'...lol.

See what the Dr. says before you start putting everything up for sale.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I injured my fingers bowling last week, trying to twist too hard. Is it possible that you did the same? The swelling went down, doesn’t feel as bad as you describe, but may be the same cause.

Nothing wrong with going up the outside of the ball, if it’s too much for your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up. I'm sure they can figure it out and make it better.

BTW-when I first read the subject line I thought you meant 'literally'...lol. After the faceplant I thought 'oh no, not again'...lol.

See what the Dr. says before you start putting everything up for sale.
    Nothing is going up for sale, I finally just got a locker at work to put my stuff in LOL As for literally walking into a brick wall, I am blonde but not quite enough to do that. Like that horrible blonde joke "Two blondes walk into a building......you'd think one of them would have seen it" Badum bum. I have much better but they aren't forum appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I injured my fingers bowling last week, trying to twist too hard. Is it possible that you did the same? The swelling went down, doesn’t feel as bad as you describe, but may be the same cause.

Nothing wrong with going up the outside of the ball, if it’s too much for your hand.
    I'm not thinking this is a bowling caused issue, this is something else. I don't know what I could have done. My hand got smashed by a ladder from an imbecile former co-worker almost 2 yrs ago but it was fine after a week. Since then nothing I can recall. Like I said before I know my pinky bone is one issue but that's not where the pain is. I also have those two soft tissue tumors more mid palm but again not where the pain is. This is just the middle and ring fingers. Once I push off on the first step and the weight of the ball transfers then zap! I tried just flattening my palm like picking up a 10 pin with only a couple revs virtually a straight ball and still the same thing.

As I said I can't even open a bottle so this is bad. Couldn't even grip the steering wheel or shifter in my truck on my way home today, had to shift and steer left handed. I can type just fine, go figure. Last appointment doctor said it's absolutely NOT arthritis even though I'm 46 there is zero signs and not one bit that showed up on the x-ray. Next step is MRI for my hand. Who knows, I probably have some weird disease, maybe it will be named after me? It wouldn't even raise an eyebrow if they told me that, it would just figure LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Twisting the ball? Find a coach!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Twisting the ball? Find a coach!!!
    I need one, believe me.

I mean that I was applying too much torque with my middle finger, trying to force a curve.

I need one, believe me.

I mean that I was applying too much torque with my middle finger, trying to force a curve.
    I understood what you were saying, simply put hitting up or applying lift on the ball which I am guilty of. I've worked on doing it less which I have but it hasn't went away. It hurt before I even got to that, it was right at the push off. Even putting nothing on it off my hand it was still bad.
    Bowling Center Manager

I had surgery on my wrist for very bad tendinitious. Let it heal, pain still there while bowling. Ending up getting a MRI to reveal I have 2 cysts in that area of the wrist. Dr. said another more extensive surgery would be required to removed them but there is no guarantee they won't come back. Hmmm...let me think.

Needless to say I still bowl in pain every week.
    Last edited by bubba809; 04-27-2018 at 07:22 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Ringer

well that stinks, I don't know you that well but what i do think I know is that you will probably not be hanging it up. I wish you the very best.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    I had surgery on my wrist for very bad tendinitious. Let it heal, pain still there while bowling. Ending up getting a MRI to reveal I have 2 cysts in that area of the wrist. Dr. said another more extensive surgery would be required to removed them but there is no guarantee they won't come back. Hmmm...let me think.
    Needless to say I still bowl in pain every week.
    Well that sucks Bubba, I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard to enjoy yourself that way. I commend you for your dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by bdpeters View Post
    well that stinks, I don't know you that well but what i do think I know is that you will probably not be hanging it up. I wish you the very best.
    Thank you and you know me pretty well, I'm certainly going to try not to let that happen. Bowling as a whole is too much of a major part of my life and going to be even more, too much to walk away. I have too much invested. All I can do right now is wait and see what the doctor says and at least get what they do know what's wrong fixed. Get the tumors removed and the bone repaired then go from there. That's gotta be done anyway. Then all I can do is hope. I've calmed down since yesterday so in the meantime I'll keep it more positive and call it a set back for now and hope. I already told my wife, in spite of the pain I'm going to still keep trying. I'm too stubborn not to.
    Bowling Center Manager