Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakpoint shapes

Chats: 0

Default Breakpoint shapes

Although my hand is all screwed up I'm going to continue looking on the positive side that it will be okay. Therefore I am continuing to research my next ball purchase for my arsenal as if nothing is wrong. Looking at the new balls I see "Breakpoint Shapes" is one of the things in the list of specs. I notice that this the most imprecise way of being able to visualize what the ball actually does. At least their attempts to describe it are 2 or 3 words which are mostly fluff and lack meaningful substance to describe it properly. So, let's analyze them shall we?

"Skid/Flip" - This doesn't describe a shape, at least not ones I learned in Geometry. Literal definition to slide forward under the force of momentum after forward motion and perform a somersault. This is a shape?

"Length and Control" - Length is a measurement. Control means command. So this means you "command a measurement"? What shape is that?

"Unsurpassed Angularity" - Okay well at least Angularity is somewhat Geometric but describes sharp corners. Unsurpassed means no other ball could take more of a sharp corner than this one? Wow, how impressive! Sounds like THE ball, search no further because this is IT! Sounds like it should come equipped with turn signals for you big hook throwers out there!

"Benchmark" or "Benchmark Reaction" - Benchmark is merely a study. Reaction is action in response to some influence or event. So this ball's Breakpoint shape by definition is "A response or influenced by a study or merely a study"? Okay so what's the study or the "benchmark"?

These are just a few examples but to me it's a ridiculous spec. It's really not a real specification nor are many of them actual "shapes" the way they are describing it. They are just using a few buzzy words. I get that you can maybe get a general idea with some of them. Others are just plain stupid. Specs or specifications are derived from "Specifics" and should describe or identify something precisely. These "Breakpoint Shapes" are nothing of the sort. Luckily the other specs are more useful.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 04-27-2018 at 06:03 PM.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Being of very little knowledge on the subject, I can say that all of those sound like the EXACT same thing.

“This ball goes straight, and then turns left”.

Sounds more like the sales team seeing what works.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Although my hand is all screwed up I'm going to continue looking on the positive side that it will be okay. Therefore I am continuing to research my next ball purchase for my arsenal as if nothing is wrong. Looking at the new balls I see "Breakpoint Shapes" is one of the things in the list of specs. I notice that this the most imprecise way of being able to visualize what the ball actually does. At least their attempts to describe it are 2 or 3 words which are mostly fluff and lack meaningful substance to describe it properly. So, let's analyze them shall we?

"Skid/Flip" - This doesn't describe a shape, at least not ones I learned in Geometry. Literal definition to slide forward under the force of momentum after forward motion and perform a somersault. This is a shape?

"Length and Control" - Length is a measurement. Control means command. So this means you "command a measurement"? What shape is that?

"Unsurpassed Angularity" - Okay well at least Angularity is somewhat Geometric but describes sharp corners. Unsurpassed means no other ball could take more of a sharp corner than this one? Wow, how impressive! Sounds like THE ball, search no further because this is IT! Sounds like it should come equipped with turn signals for you big hook throwers out there!

"Benchmark" or "Benchmark Reaction" - Benchmark is merely a study. Reaction is action in response to some influence or event. So this ball's Breakpoint shape by definition is "A response or influenced by a study or merely a study"? Okay so what's the study or the "benchmark"?

These are just a few examples but to me it's a ridiculous spec. It's really not a real specification nor are many of them actual "shapes" the way they are describing it. They are just using a few buzzy words. I get that you can maybe get a general idea with some of them. Others are just plain stupid. Specs or specifications are derived from "Specifics" and should describe or identify something precisely. These "Breakpoint Shapes" are nothing of the sort. Luckily the other specs are more useful.
    Yes there not "specifications", Their just terms used by marketing (and bowlers too) that are commonly used to describe the general shape and motion characteristics a ball should have. Just like the terms Hockey Stick shape or Banana shape which are used also.

(Hockey Stick is a ball that goes pretty straight down the lane and hooks late, Banana is more a arc like with a Early hook)

Also the words used have definitions other than the ones you chose assign to them, Such as Flip which can also mean a sudden sharp movement.

So in the case Skid/Flip it's a ball that goes long and has a sudden sharp movement on the backend (aka: A hockey shape), Not one that does a somersault.

If you want different descriptions here's how Ron Hickland described ball motion.

Last edited by bowl1820; 04-27-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I had a feeling you were going to define them which is exactly what the advertisers don't do. That's what makes it pointless and not really a "spec". If you do look on Bowlingball.com for example, it is under the ball specs therefore that implies it's a "spec" which you also agree isn't. As you pointed out "Flip" has multiple meanings as do many of the other breakpoint shapes. How is a consumer who isn't as well informed as us members here supposed to know what it means? That is my point. It's meaningless gibberish use for filler. I really need something better to do LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

How is a consumer who isn't as well informed as us members here supposed to know what it means?
    The same way the rest of us did, do the research and learn what the terms and specifications mean. That's one of the things Rob has stressed in many of his posts and articles, That bowlers should learn about balls, Spec's etc. so they can make more informed decisions about equipment selection and it's use.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    “This ball goes straight, and then turns left”.
    Well I hope not. I need mine to turn right
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I agree with research and getting informed before purchase, I'm all for it. When they use terms like under specs that say "Unsurpassed Angularity" that's just a baseless opinionated claim and opinion isn't a specification. There is nothing about the word unsurpassed to get informed about besides it being fluff. It's a falsehood to sell the ball. Opinion belongs in the Reviews section which the majority are from staffers anyway if you look at their sigs, just more fluff. A staffer isn't gonna say the ball sucks if they value being a staffer, that's why they are usually 5 stars.

Unless there is only one ball with that claim that it's "unsurpassed" then maybe it could be proven fact, too bad there is multiple so someone is lying. Unless by Specs they mean Speculations not Specifications, then it would be accurate. Since they merely spell it "specs" then I guess I'm speculating that they mean specifications. Perhaps Ron Hickland should fill in the blanks for Breakpoint shapes for the advertisers because his terms actually make sense and are factual. I have to admit, this is the goofiest post subject I think I've ever made. I could even say "Unsurpassed goofiest". LOL
    Bowling Center Manager

As bowl1820 alluded to, ball motion is not an easy subject for the simple reason that most bowlers don't make the effort to really see what the ball is doing. In its simplest form, the ball either hits or misses its target at the arrows, gets to the breakpoint, turns left (or right for lefties) and hits the pins. The shape and length of the motion encompasses the entire lane, through all five phases of ball motion. It's subtle. It's not an easy thing to see. The bottom line is that to really understand the game it takes a lot of hard work and concentration. If you want to really see what is going on, start watching every ball that is thrown by every bowler within your field of vision. There's not a big difference between an angular ball motion and a continuous ball motion, but there is a difference. It's up to you to train yourself to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    As bowl1820 alluded to, ball motion is not an easy subject for the simple reason that most bowlers don't make the effort to really see what the ball is doing. In its simplest form, the ball either hits or misses its target at the arrows, gets to the breakpoint, turns left (or right for lefties) and hits the pins. The shape and length of the motion encompasses the entire lane, through all five phases of ball motion. It's subtle. It's not an easy thing to see. The bottom line is that to really understand the game it takes a lot of hard work and concentration. If you want to really see what is going on, start watching every ball that is thrown by every bowler within your field of vision. There's not a big difference between an angular ball motion and a continuous ball motion, but there is a difference. It's up to you to train yourself to see it.
    I understand ball motion, it's simply physics and geometry. Seeing hundreds of bowlers a week and paying attention you definitely can see the differences in the shape. Watching from behind the masking units by the pinsetters really gives you a different perspective as well. Being that close you can clearly see the transition a ball makes and it's amazing to watch.

My only point of the post besides just being obnoxious was simply to point out the stupid ways they describe the shape of the breakpoint. I think I've proven that it's not an actual specification as it's portrayed to be. It's just buzzy sounding words with little to no factual content unlike how Ron Hickland so elegantly describes. Therefore should be ignored when researching specifications for a ball. I still don't know what "benchmark" is supposed to mean for a breakpoint shape, that really gives me absolutely nothing to go on.
    Bowling Center Manager

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I still don't know what "benchmark" is supposed to mean for a breakpoint shape, that really gives me absolutely nothing to go on.
    A benchmark mark ball, is one that do how it's setup (and it's inherent qualities) that doesn't over or under react to the lane conditions. You typically use it to assess the lane condition to know which ball to start with or what adjustments to make whether it be a ball change, move etc.

A benchmark reaction (ball) would be one that is very controlled in it's reaction, one that you can see the phases of motion fairly easy as it goes down the lane, It generally would have a more arc like path down the lane. It's a go to ball also when your in trouble.

While you could conceivably use any ball as a benchmark, A benchmark ball generally should a medium type ball, Balls above or below that could give you a false read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast