Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are summer leagues not sanctioned?

Chats: 0

I was just wondering. I wonder if my boss really has the authority to require ALL leagues to be certified? Wouldn't that be up to each of league presidents not the house? I think he needs to proceed with caution or he may end up losing more leagues than gaining. He may be setting himself up for an epic fail.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I don’t understand why anyone would prefer an unsanctioned league.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Think of a mixed league where it's you and your significant other and it's just a night out. Like my wife, she is a 120 average tops. She knows I'm serious but to her it's a night out. Do you really think she cares if it's certified or not? She just wants time with hubby away from the kids where we can have some drinks and have a good time. It's a step up from open bowling where she can make friends, it's not about competing or rules to her let alone honor scores. In this example I would take the seriousness down a peg or two and just enjoy being out with my wife. In this case certification is pretty irrelevant and more money for nothing. There could still be prize money and or pots either way.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Joining a summer league aye Boatman? Keeping it going, very nice. I can't believe it starts that quick, none of our summer leagues start until June. I think the last smattering of our fall leagues finish up this week. I don't think we'd have enough people signed up yet to justify starting yet, still in the recruiting stages.
    Yeah. I guess ours runs end to beginning, meaning the week after fall league ends until the week before it starts. Guess that's why they do the 2 man team with an option to rotate in a 3rd. The 2 I'm teaming with (father and son, 204 and 200 averages) won the summer league a few years ago with a 3rd member. The father (204 average) and I had bowled together since I graduated from high school until I left 15 years ago (1990ish-2002ish). Always on the same team.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but everywhere I've bowled (Nevada, California, Ohio, N. Carolina), USBC dues were good for the year. Unless bowlers are bowling only during the summer, why would anyone choose not to sanction a summer league when their individual dues are already paid?

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but everywhere I've bowled (Nevada, California, Ohio, N. Carolina), USBC dues were good for the year. Unless bowlers are bowling only during the summer, why would anyone choose not to sanction a summer league when their individual dues are already paid?
    Good point Rob. Actually when I signed up in January they told me the league paid everyones dues out of the fund so I didn't pay it. I did hear they were raising it for next year (currently $17.50/wk). Our summer league my be sanctioned but I really don't know yet. Not sure if the format would affect sanctioning? It's a 4 game set with 2 bowlers per team. We start at 8:00PM because of it being summer but with only 2/lane I guess we are still done by 9:30ish. I was told they usually fill all 40 lanes so must be 80 or so in the summer league. We have about 120 in our regular league.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    First of all, USBC has never, at least in my experience done a good job of explaining its value to the average league bowler.

This last season I bowled in one certified league and one non-certified league. Both leagues are primarily social. The first is only certified because there is a vocal minority that enjoys bowling in an occasional tournament, and need to have certified averages. The majority don’t really care one way or the other.

I bowl in the uncertified league for two reasons:
    The other bowlers are a lot of fun to hang around with.
    I can switch hands without the federal case the USBC rules make out of it.
    I can experiment with things, like using my spare ball for every shot, without being accused of sandbagging.
    John

Chats: 1

It's been quite a while, but every summer league that I've bowled in was sanctioned.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    First of all, USBC has never, at least in my experience done a good job of explaining its value to the average league bowler.
    Since there really are no awards any more except for your first 300, there isn't much benefit unless you are a money league. I believe the USBC will insure the league's prize fund. So if the treasurer or president runs off with 50k, at least the league is protected.

Chats: 32

You do need to remember that if you are on a local association USBC board or other USBC board you are prohibited from bowling non sanctioned leagues. I see a lot of benefits to being USBC sanctioned for very little costs myself personally but that's my opinion only. In a short summer league it does make a smaller difference.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast