Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another house bites the dust

Chats: 1

Default Another house bites the dust

Here in NJ, it seems like an alley closes up, or becomes an entertainment center each season. I heard a few days ago that HyWay Bowl in Union was closing their doors at the end of the season. I spent over 20 years in that house. It was the last house that I knew had wooden alleys instead of synthetics, and valued leagues over corporate or kiddie birthday parties. This is getting depressing.

On the other hand Carolier which became another Bowlmor center, and decided that our league wasn't big enough for them, and booted us. They recently changed management, and asked if we wanted to go back to them. They would give us a choice of nights and a decent rate. I think the vote was nearly unanimous that we would stay at the house that took us in two years ago. They treated us well, and their beer and food are reasonably priced. What more can you ask for?
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Yeah that is sad. I think Carolier is starting to understand that with leagues they get a guaranteed minimum income for the night. I bowl at the Brunswick Zone in Hazlet and I'm terrified that they try to convert it to a fun center or even just close it altogether.

Ringer

I would say around here most of the lanes have went to the entertainment center format but it seems that for the most part there are still leagues running at most of them. but i do think that the atmosphere has changed from what i remember when i was younger. may favorite one, the one my dad tended bar at closed some years ago. The Ritz Classic.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Yeah that is sad. I think Carolier is starting to understand that with leagues they get a guaranteed minimum income for the night. I bowl at the Brunswick Zone in Hazlet and I'm terrified that they try to convert it to a fun center or even just close it altogether.
    I think the next in line is the Strathmore lanes in Manasquan. The same outfit runs that alley as well.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

There have been at least 10 or so that have died that I know of since the 80's locally, probably more. Only a couple that I know of converted to a fun center. They all have cosmic but I'm not sure if that qualifies as being a fun center or not. We do a ton of birthday parties and such which is our bread and butter to get through the summer when few leagues will be going. Since we are going to be breaking ground on a huge expansion and remodel project soon I wouldn't say we are in any jeopardy of going under anytime soon.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

I believe many of the houses were in good areas when they were built and over the years the neighborhood went down hill and that cost them.
    Another reason was the closing of big employers.
    Poor management always hurts.
    Younger people just don't seen interested in any sports. Not all but an awful lot. Tech is turning us into mush.

Fordman, I would have thought the same about bowling until I moved down here to SW Fl. Lee County schools at the high school and some middle school levels have bowling teams. Yes like any other round ball sport, you have to try out and make the team. They are a big deal.....a lot of student participation. The bowling alleys all work with schools for scheduling matches. I was blown away by the youth talent in this area, most will attend a college with a bowling program. A few I expect will be seen on the PBA at some point.
    We bowl on Tues and Thurs, mixed leagues. They start about 630 done around 900. Their is always a line 10-20 people deep waiting for the open lanes when our league is finished. Most of these folks are between 20- 40 years old.
    When I quite bowling in 1996, in MD the bowling most leagues couldn't fill the house and it had 24 lanes. I suspect that area has even less bowlers. If I still lived their I probably wouldn't have gotten back into bowling and would agree with you 100 %. I wouldn't have believed the level of youth participation if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

Pin Crusher

Younger people just don't seen interested in any sports. Not all but an awful lot. Tech is turning us into mush.

I just read that a 56 lane AMF house in my town (Rochester N.Y.). I just practiced there on Sunday mornings when my other house had tournaments. But I got the feeling it was doomed as the the last few times there were lane problems and there was only 1 person there to see over a 56 lane house. Still sad to see it close. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Agreed. I work in I.T. and can't understand why people don't want some level of activity. The great part is that bowling doesn't necessarily require you to be a superior athlete, at least at a more casual level. Therefore, it's a great way for a lot of young people to get moving.

Unfortunately, too many of us are so addicted to our "screens" that we can't manage to do something that might take us away from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast