Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer league....phooooey

Chats: 0

I wouldn't put too much stock in summer league performance. They generally aren't very serious at all, at least none that I've joined. I've dropped off mid season because I got tired of being the only one who showed up on my team or bowling against blind scores. It's merely organized practice compared to fall. If it were me Boatman I would just work on fixing my issues and not worry about scores, you're probably the only bowler on the league who cares about it much. It would also be a good opportunity to try out using different lines. Don't be afraid to play deep inside or out on first board, experiment and learn.

I understand that if you play the same house all the time having a "benchmark" line to use as a starting point. When you take your first shot of the night for warm up you're always going to have a starting point where you're gonna throw it. However, if your first shot is 1st arrow then it's a good practice to make your second shot should be 2nd arrow then 3rd and so on. I think too many people are afraid to dump it in the ditch trying to see what works best. I assure you, you're buddies will forget about it 30 seconds later. Besides, being a one trick pony you're dooming yourself from being versatile. Lanes have 39 boards going across and it's a safe bet that more than one will lead you to the pocket.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I've never done a summer league, my family signs up for the Kids Bowl Free promotion and use that as much as we can, normally once or twice a week, just so we don't get entirely rusty during summer.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock in summer league performance. They generally aren't very serious at all, at least none that I've joined. I've dropped off mid season because I got tired of being the only one who showed up on my team or bowling against blind scores. It's merely organized practice compared to fall. If it were me Boatman I would just work on fixing my issues and not worry about scores, you're probably the only bowler on the league who cares about it much. It would also be a good opportunity to try out using different lines. Don't be afraid to play deep inside or out on first board, experiment and learn.

I understand that if you play the same house all the time having a "benchmark" line to use as a starting point. When you take your first shot of the night for warm up you're always going to have a starting point where you're gonna throw it. However, if your first shot is 1st arrow then it's a good practice to make your second shot should be 2nd arrow then 3rd and so on. I think too many people are afraid to dump it in the ditch trying to see what works best. I assure you, you're buddies will forget about it 30 seconds later. Besides, being a one trick pony you're dooming yourself from being versatile. Lanes have 39 boards going across and it's a safe bet that more than one will lead you to the pocket.
    I don't know. Looked like some pretty serious bowlers the other night. The first team we bowled against were from about 30 miles from here and had never bowled at our house before. They said they heard it was great competition so they decided to join. Both had over 200 average. We have 40 lanes and they have a waiting list so 80 bowlers each week (2 per lane). The captain of my regular team's partner didn't show cause he forgot so he had to grab the first person he could find to sub. If your team didn't show then you got bumped off the list and a team that was there on the waiting list took your spot. Luckily he found somebody. There is no pre-bowling allowed and no blind scores. If you don't have 2 guys then you forfeit. I guess after the first week you are locked in and won't be kicked off the list. It is a 2 man team but you can have 2 subs. My teammates are on vacation so me and the other guy were both considered subs but I will be part of the regular rotation. The other guy that was with me the other night doesn't want to bowl the summer league but did it just to have a team there and isn't planning on doing it after that. He is bowling in Rochester NY this weekend for a tournament I guess.

But as to the lines, yeah, I see your point. I rarely ever have bowled away from my home center so haven't had to worry about it much. I have always just been a league bowler and rarely enter any tournaments but after the last couple weeks I think I need to start thinking about different lines. When I went out and practiced with my new ball I spent one game on 7 pins and the next on different lines but haven't practiced it since then. I'm a creature of habit...lol. I find what works and stick with it until way after it stops working...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 32

It all depends on the center and the bowlers how serious summer bowling is. generally in summer you've either got serious bowlers who bowl year round or guys just looking for something to do with their spare time seems to me there are less of the middle guy there during the summer but that's just what I see locally
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    But as to the lines, yeah, I see your point. I rarely ever have bowled away from my home center so haven't had to worry about it much. I have always just been a league bowler and rarely enter any tournaments but after the last couple weeks I think I need to start thinking about different lines. When I went out and practiced with my new ball I spent one game on 7 pins and the next on different lines but haven't practiced it since then. I'm a creature of habit...lol. I find what works and stick with it until way after it stops working...lol
    Could it be the psychological part of it? You just play within your comfort zone. Like even when practicing alone when you work on fixing things do you still try to make a game of it with your score? Have you ever tried playing low ball with the best possible score being 20? I know it wouldn't look good to onlookers who walk by or who are bowling near you. Same thing with practicing different lines. Onlookers be dammed. Who cares if you shoot a 52 as long as your learning something in the process for when it really matters.

Score can interfere bigtime in trying to become better. I know where I work the pinsetters can merely be turned on without scoring. Unfortunately it doesn't time you or track frames. If your friends with the counter person maybe you can pay by the hour and just keep track of the time. I know I'd do it for someone if they asked. Doing that may help you. As far as the other serious bowlers on your summer league, you said there are some which implies not all. Nobody saying you have to be among the serious as difficult as it may be.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Could it be the psychological part of it? You just play within your comfort zone. Like even when practicing alone when you work on fixing things do you still try to make a game of it with your score? Have you ever tried playing low ball with the best possible score being 20? I know it wouldn't look good to onlookers who walk by or who are bowling near you. Same thing with practicing different lines. Onlookers be dammed. Who cares if you shoot a 52 as long as your learning something in the process for when it really matters.

Score can interfere bigtime in trying to become better. I know where I work the pinsetters can merely be turned on without scoring. Unfortunately it doesn't time you or track frames. If your friends with the counter person maybe you can pay by the hour and just keep track of the time. I know I'd do it for someone if they asked. Doing that may help you. As far as the other serious bowlers on your summer league, you said there are some which implies not all. Nobody saying you have to be among the serious as difficult as it may be.
    Yeah i don't worry about the score when i practice and don't care about the onlookers...lol. maybe 20 years ago i would be concerned with impressing people but not now. i think i scored an 80 something the one game but i only focused on spares. in pre-game practice i throw a few pockets shots then a few 7 pin and if i have time i try the 10 pin. i usually shoot for the 7 or 10 on my first ball then the pocket on my 2nd ball. it's practice. most of the guys in our league do the same
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12