Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every bowling split possible??

Default Every bowling split possible??

Hey guys, so I've been trying to research EVERY possible split you can get in bowling.

I'm creating a bowling game, and I'm trying to adjust the scoring system to update throws with the little circle to indicate that it's a split.

After going to a few sites, the splits they show on there aren't organized in a list or any of that, so it's hard to get a full list of every split you can get in bowling.. If you knew any sites that had something like this, that'd be great!

Thanks guys

Are you asking if it's possible to *leave* any split? Technically, yes, I suppose, although physics makes some extremely rare (I can't see how any adult on a good lane could leave a 4-5-6 or 7-8-9-10, for instance).

Chats: 0

You're trying to put together a list of every possible split combination? I suppose if you wanted to do this it's just a matter of starting with the 2 pin and simply putting it up with every other pin that would be a split and then moving to the 3 pin and doing the same thing and so on. Of course anything with the headpin is a wash out unless you're including those too. It can take some time to do what you're doing but like anything else there is only so many combinations. I guess be thankful there is only 10 pins and it's not 100 pin bowling like Wii Sports.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

If you want to write code to determine a split, maybe calculate on the fly rather than do a lookup?

if #pins = 1 then !split
    if pin1.isup then !split
    if (pin2.isup and (pin3.isup or (!pin4.isup and !pin5.isup) ) then split
    if (pin3.isup and (pin2.isup or (!pin5.isup and !pin6.isup) ) then split
    if (pin4.isup and ((!pin2.isup and !pin7.isup and !pin8.isup) or (pin5.isup and !pin2.isup)) then split

etc.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Well actually, if I asked this question, it'd probably make everything a lot simpler. What's the formula for a split in bowling?? I originally thought any pin leave, separated by one spot, excluding the head pin, was a split. Apparently, this isn't always the case..

If that formula for splits in bowling could be further explained, I could probably work on adding every split combination in the module I have.

Unless it's not an exact formula.. with that being said, I didn't entirely understand what you were saying about starting at the 2-pin and then every other pin? then moving down to the 3-pin. It's just not processing in my brain :/

Thanks guys!

What I meant by starting with the two pin.....Go through each combination that would equate to a split that would include the two pin. After you finished that then do each possible combination containing the 3 pin and so on. As you go further obviously they would start to become redundant because many of the combinations will be taken by the earlier pins leaving fewer possibilities as you go through. Basically it's process of elimination.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

If your writing a program, you don't particularly need a "list" of splits to have the program check against. You just have to write the code to have it check what pins are left standing and if they meet the criteria for a "split" and then if it does mark it as a split.

Criteria for a "split"

2h. Split
    A split is a setup of pins left standing after the first delivery, provided the head pin is down and at least one pin is down:
    1. Between two or more standing pins; e.g., 7-9 or 3-10.
    2. Immediately ahead of two or more standing pins; e.g., 5-6.

Considering how many bowling programs there are, The needed source code is probably already written that you can get to either add to your project or reference .

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Obviously, it has to be two or more pins to be a split.

If pin #1 is left up, it's not a split, by definition, no matter what else is left up.

It is a split if any pin is separated from the other pin(s) by more than one spot.
    It's also a split if two pins are next to each other on the same row (4-5 or 9-10 for instance) but the pin in front of the two (2 and 6, in this case) is not up.

Put another way, every pin standing must be able to connected to an adjacent pin on a diagonal for it to not be a split.

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post

Put another way, every pin standing must be able to connected to an adjacent pin on a diagonal for it to not be a split.
    Don't forget about sleepers, they aren't on a diagonal but for everything else you are correct Mishatx.
    Bowling Center Manager

Thanks for the info!

I think I got it.. I'll probably attempt to modify the system to get rid of the list, and go through the criteria for a split.
    Last edited by BowlerGuy1500; 05-05-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast