Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm happy it's warm but....

Chats: 0

Default I'm happy it's warm but....

I used to look forward to yard work but now not so much anymore. LOL It's a PITA! Unfortunately I live in a neighborhood that everyone is 200 years old and all they have to do all day is make sure a blade of grass isn't out of place. I used to be pretty OCD about my lawn back in the day but now I just make it presentable. I don't really have time to plant flowers and gardens anymore. Maybe again down the road it will peak my interest more.

It doesn't help that years ago I bought most of my equipment within about the same time so now it's all old. Gotta fart around with carburetors all the time and such. I haven't even attempted to get the weed whacker going yet, that's the worst of them all. Modern fuel just eats carbs bad so it makes life hard getting them going. Living on a huge hill makes it fun, it's nice it don't flood but going down with the lawnmower you it takes a lot to stop it so I don't slam into the house. It's REALLY steep! No way to do it on a rider unfortunately, you'd flip it or slam in the house for sure. Wifey would be pissed to have a Cub Cadet in the family room.

On the upside I sold a lawn mower on Craigs List. Now my neighbor won't wake me up mowing early on Sunday mornings!
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

funny you should mention this. i was just thinking this weekend that I am tired of mowing the lawn every few days. this time of year it grows like crazy. if I leave it too long it gets so long that it is a real bugger. and the dandelions are going crazy. i just sprayed the lawn yesterday morning. when I was growing up my father had a yard care company and i have mowed and edged more grass than I care to think about.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Dandelions are on this planet to test our will to live. I hate them fiercely.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Dandelions are on this planet to test our will to live. I hate them fiercely.
    they are funny that way. you cut the grass and the next day the Dandelions are 6" tall. i have been stung several times by Bees that i have kicked off of them and had them land in my shoe.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

I'm the only one in the culdesack who's lawn has a single dandelion LOL I don't have one, I have millions. If I put down weed killer I'd have nothing left but dirt. I'm sure it stresses my neighbors but I really could care less at this point. They will grow, go through their stage and they will be gone for the most part. Too expensive to buy weed killer, fertilizer and grass seed. I don't lose sleep over them being there.

Besides my daughter likes making bouquets out of the dandelions and gives them to her mother and I and feels good about it. She also finds those purple flower weeds and little yellow ones and white ones as well. I wouldn't take that away from her. Also, the groundhogs we have living in our back yard seem to enjoy them too. Munching on them gives them a reason to come out which my kids all enjoy watching them. Much better things to spend money on that something to keep up with the neighbors, the heck with them. If they don't like it then they are welcome to put weed killer down themselves.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Try some Milorganite. It does help. Cheap fertilizer that lasts over time, and stimulates the grass to push out the weeds.

Sounds acceptable, I will look into that. If it's affordable I may do that. One thing I may get is some diatomaceous earth, I've put that down before. It's more to get rid of insects, especially fleas. It's similar to the powder you put in pool filters only food grade. For insects it's the equivalent to walking through razors and it dries them out too. It works great and it's cheap. Put it all the way around the foundation of the house all the way to 12' away and you never see anything crawling in your house with the exception of a few spiders. No way to keep out spiders, as they say..."You're always within 6ft of a spider at all times" Maybe teeny tiny but ALWAYS there.
    Bowling Center Manager

SandBagger

I've been out in the yard quite a bit the past three weeks with many, many projects.

First, I'm on the fourth year of fighting back bamboo which is growing behind my back fence. The stuff is the fastest growing plant ever and it can even grow underneath a plastic tarp. It spreads under the ground and then pops up in new places. This year it's barely popping out and I'm digging it up every two days to keep it down. Eventually it will die from lack of food.

Then I had two trees chopped down and the wood chipped and put behind my garage for future landscaping. I have spent a lot of time hauling wood chips everywhere because I am using them to kill an old weedy patch of yard that was beyond hope. Later I will topsoil it when the wood chips have been compacted.

Third, I am installing a retaining wall. I just got the blocks delivered today and I set out the line I want to dig for the trench. The fun part comes next.

Fourth, I pre-weeded the garden and am now in the process of turning over the soil. The hard part? I doubled the size of my garden this year so instead of one 25x20 foot garden, I have two of them.

Fifth, I have been attacking the dandelions by hand. I don't like spraying poisons, especially since my kids are out playing in the yard and I grow food there, too. I have the dandelions in the back yard pretty much under control now as I only have to pull about fifteen a day which is about one third of what I used to have to do.

Despite all this work to make what was a wilderness when I purchased the house to a decent-looking yard with landscaping, I'm not sure the neighbors appreciate it. Why? It's because I'm spending all my time making the backyard, which is fenced in, look nice for the sake of my family. The front yard still looks like a jungle and has so many dandelions that it's tough to see the grass in places.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Quote Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
    I've been out in the yard quite a bit the past three weeks with many, many projects.

First, I'm on the fourth year of fighting back bamboo which is growing behind my back fence. The stuff is the fastest growing plant ever and it can even grow underneath a plastic tarp. It spreads under the ground and then pops up in new places. This year it's barely popping out and I'm digging it up every two days to keep it down. Eventually it will die from lack of food.

Then I had two trees chopped down and the wood chipped and put behind my garage for future landscaping. I have spent a lot of time hauling wood chips everywhere because I am using them to kill an old weedy patch of yard that was beyond hope. Later I will topsoil it when the wood chips have been compacted.

Third, I am installing a retaining wall. I just got the blocks delivered today and I set out the line I want to dig for the trench. The fun part comes next.

Fourth, I pre-weeded the garden and am now in the process of turning over the soil. The hard part? I doubled the size of my garden this year so instead of one 25x20 foot garden, I have two of them.

Fifth, I have been attacking the dandelions by hand. I don't like spraying poisons, especially since my kids are out playing in the yard and I grow food there, too. I have the dandelions in the back yard pretty much under control now as I only have to pull about fifteen a day which is about one third of what I used to have to do.

Despite all this work to make what was a wilderness when I purchased the house to a decent-looking yard with landscaping, I'm not sure the neighbors appreciate it. Why? It's because I'm spending all my time making the backyard, which is fenced in, look nice for the sake of my family. The front yard still looks like a jungle and has so many dandelions that it's tough to see the grass in places.
    Wow, you are a beast! Nice work on the estate, and screw the neighbors. I always spend 10x the effort on my backyard, for the progeny.

Ringer

wow, sounds like lots of stuff going on. if my wife saw this post she would find more for me to do.
    Southpaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast