Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ARG Stuck in a slump

Ok, so tonight I will track: Strikes, spares, how many 8 or more on non strikes per game. Anything else?
    High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

Chats: 0

nah, that should get ya...I wouldn't want to over think the game too much. You are there to have fun! Granted bowling well is fun, but don't let it all bog you down.

let us know how you did after league!
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

What is Bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by MH1313 View Post
    nah, that should get ya...I wouldn't want to over think the game too much. You are there to have fun! Granted bowling well is fun, but don't let it all bog you down.

let us know how you did after league!
    I couldn't agree more with that... My worst slump (2 months before I broke it) was from making a few minor changes in my swing to alleviate knee pain. In my personal experience I've usual found it easiest to track stats and work on timing during the fall season and make major corrections and overhauling my swing during the summer leagues or open bowling during the summer when the prices are usually discounted. After you find your timing in line and feel comfortable with ball reaction etc it takes the body about 100 repetitions over a weeks timeframe to develop muscle memory so like MH said try not to over think it and let it bog you down. There are plenty of people here to help you and hundreds of articles scattered across the web and videos posted up on how to conduct a "successful" practice session.

Nick, do you have a digital camera with a movie feature? If so, record yourself bowling. I used this to work on my consistantcy. Watch how you swing the bowl. Try to start it off to your side. Push out straight down the lane. Watch your swing to see if it's straight, nothing behind the back. Once you get your swing consistant and straight, you will find that you hit your mark more consistantly.
    Practice just a few items at a time. You aren't going to fix everything at once. Work on a straight pushoff, straight swing and hit that mark. with practice the scores will come. Good luck.
    Bob from Colo Spgs

I think I might take LONG break from bowling if I don't start improving soon. I bowled mostly in the 140s last Thursday night. It is possibly the most frustrating thing in the world... at least at that time. But seriously, it sucks.
    High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

Chats: 3

don't do that! you'll come back worse than where you are right now lol

take a break from it over the summer and go back into it in the fall with a good attitude.
    this is just something you've got to work through, from what I've seen in your videos, you throw a nice ball. You've got the potential to do so much better, but you've got to stick it out through this slump.
    Hang in there!
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Well I enjoy bowling and I feel like I can probably be good enough to hold down a 200 average... BUT I am tired of being crappy.

The other day I came to the realization that I should probably stop doing a lot of things. I should stop: guitar, drums, bolwing, golf (although I don't think I could ever stop golfing), most video games. I don't ever see myself getting better at them and I am beginning to not want to do them because I just get frustrated and stop.

Who am I kidding, I probably won't quit any of them. I just need to find something I am really really good at.
    High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

I was in a slump for most of this season. I was off by about 5 inches(The distance between my ears)
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Nick,

Stick with it man! Like Jord said you need to work through this. Do you have fun when you bowl? Thats the most important thing...Don't look at your scores as the measure of a good bowler. Look at your enjoyment of the game and whether you improve or not.

I used to average 190's back in high school, took 6yrs off of league for college, came back to league and averated 150's for most of the first season. I still had the 190 mentality, it damn near killed me! I got back to the basics, and started practicing, focusing on the fundamentals of bowling and now 2yrs later, I'm finally consistently bowling back at my former level...Slumps can take time to work through.

Muscle memory is a huge piece of being a "good' bowler. You need to put in a lot of time practicing so your body knows what to do without thinking about it. I would also reccomend a workout routine (if you dont' already have one) to help build strength and consistency. my scores improved drastically once I started working out again...it took fatigue and a lot of the goofy arm positions out of the equation.

Also if you drink alcohol during league, I'd stop...yeah it helps loosen you up, but it also can detract from your concentration.

Remember bowling is fun! You should never take it too seriously, because no matter what you WILL make mistakes and have bad games. Just have fun with your friends and throw the ball
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

I have fun until I start making a lot of mistakes. The main problem is that the ball doesn't hook the same amount every time. Sometimes the throws feel exactly the same and the ball appears to travel down the same line (within 2-3 boards) and be spinning the same way, but it won't hook NEAR as much.

Plus I hate the idiots that have NO lane etiquette. They always seem to be next to me and man they make me mad.
    High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast