Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ARG Stuck in a slump

Angry ARG Stuck in a slump

Well I shouldn't stay "stuck" in a slump, more like hitting a wall. I used to bowl when I was younger and my average was about 140. I stopped for a few years and started again a few months ago. My current average is 169.x and I CAN'T get it any higher. It really sucks because I generally bowl between155 and 175 (hence my average) but I can bowl over 200 usually at least 1 of 6 games... But that game is usually followed by a game in the 130s!!!

I need to get a video of me throwing the ball a few times so you all can see my method.

Any suggestions on what to do in the mean time? Anyone been in my position and how did you get out of it?
    High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

Chats: 0

If you can afford it, get a coach who will work with you on improving your game. If you don't know one, you can always go to Bowl.com and click on the "Find a Coach." They list the USBC Certified coaches in your area.

You also might talk to your pro shop guy or one of the better bowlers in the center where you bowl. I have used a few certified coaches and right now am working with a friend who is a high bowler and works at the center.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

I have been in a slump before, mainly due to taking some time off. Before I took the time off, I was averaging around 215, and was able to wheel the entire lane effortlessly. After about a month off, I went back to bowling again and just could not get the ball to hook, causing my average to plummet. It took a good 3 weeks to get my release back, and then my average climbed back to where it used to be.

Bowlers go through slumps, as it is just part of the game. You can go a few weeks of having some great games and series, to a few weeks where you just flat out struggle. I would advise you to just go out and practice, and really work on your game. That is what I usually do, and over time, I will start to realize my flaws, and then I can correct them to improve my scores. You can also have an experienced bowler take a look at your approach and release to see if they can spot anything that might need to be corrected.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

i agree with posters in here that tell you if you can,t find a coach or you can,t afford one then find the bowlers that bowl well in your center...for me i,m self taught but will talk to all the bowlers in my center that have high averages and they know me well enough to give me some info on what to do with your game ..so biggest thing is don,t get in a hurry take your time ..don,t rush things just to get it over with...so i would talk to the top guys in your center that are willing to give you the right information so you can adapt it to your game as well...do what works for you....
    jason poe
    Personal Game Highs
    299 & 300 (Back 2 Back Weeks)
    Current average 209
    proud member of [U]bowlingboards.com

A friend of mine is a great bowler and I was bowling with him the other day and asked him to take a look at me and tell me what I could do to better my scores. He said that my approach was kind of weak and my release was wrong. I guess I was just walking up to the lane and not staying low. Also I was releasing the ball and bringing my weight back instead of forward. Also I had the ball cocked to the side really bad.

Now I am staying lower and keeping the ball straighter. It seems to be working, but I need to get more revs on the ball so I can throw it harder. I throw it about 14-16mph and I'd like to get more into the 16-18 mph range. But until I get the revs up I can't get the ball to hook enough.

It is a constant work in progress.
    High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by nickcuban View Post
    Well I shouldn't stay "stuck" in a slump, more like hitting a wall. I used to bowl when I was younger and my average was about 140. I stopped for a few years and started again a few months ago. My current average is 169.x and I CAN'T get it any higher. It really sucks because I generally bowl between155 and 175 (hence my average) but I can bowl over 200 usually at least 1 of 6 games... But that game is usually followed by a game in the 130s!!!

I need to get a video of me throwing the ball a few times so you all can see my method.

Any suggestions on what to do in the mean time? Anyone been in my position and how did you get out of it?
    I know you use the BowlingBoards.com Bowling Score and Analysis software, so I know you care about your game and your progress.

I think everyone has really hit home on some solutions, mainly being a coach or someone to watch you and point out things between each shot.

Say you throw a strike and then a 3 count. Something is different and I am not saying just 7 pins. Something in the way you are throwing, thinking, or holding your ball.

Not to say you are doing any of these things, but here are some tips that helped me.

1. Do not think about anyone around you. Pretend its just you and the pins. If you ever have see the movie, For the Love of the Game, the pitcher zones everything out. If you are worried about what others think about you bowling, you will think too hard. Just have fun.

2. Before you get setup to throw, breathe. Take a deep breathe. Focus on your target. Again feel good about yourself and surroundings.

3. Be confident. If you think negative, you MAY, not will bowl bad sometimes. If you think, I will never get that single 10 pin, you may get yourself worked up, and miss it. So think positive and bowl positive.

These are just a few things, and believe me I amnot a coach. These small things have just helped me.

Keep us posted.

Chris
    Go Broncos!

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by ThongPrincess View Post
    If you can afford it, get a coach who will work with you on improving your game. If you don't know one, you can always go to Bowl.com and click on the "Find a Coach." They list the USBC Certified coaches in your area.

You also might talk to your pro shop guy or one of the better bowlers in the center where you bowl. I have used a few certified coaches and right now am working with a friend who is a high bowler and works at the center.

That makes me wonder what I can do to get that feature here?
    Go Broncos!

Being inconsistent really sucks. Sorry the scores are small and kind of hard to read.

High game:
    246 done on 2/12/09
    Current Average:

do what works for you and try not to do what other good bowlers do in your center..

kingpin has a great step by step on what to do and it will work with confidence..my philosphy is too much thinking is too much stinking...know before you go and stick with your plan ..have a plan ...
    jason poe
    Personal Game Highs
    299 & 300 (Back 2 Back Weeks)
    Current average 209
    proud member of [U]bowlingboards.com

live in BG, bowl in vancouver and portland.
    Chats: 0

Smile

find a good coach to help you with your technique.
    good coaching got me out of my slump.
    give it a try.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast