Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your perfect bowling center?

By the time you catch treated wood on fire, the whole place is going down lol

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    By the time you catch treated wood on fire, the whole place is going down lol
    Wood lanes are treated lumber?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Wood lanes are treated lumber?
    I can’t imagine they’d be anything else, unless it’s quite old.

https://www.hunker.com/13401617/type...-bowling-lanes

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I can’t imagine they’d be anything else, unless it’s quite old.

https://www.hunker.com/13401617/type...-bowling-lanes
    When you say treated wood then wolmanized wood is what comes to mind, pre-treated using arsenic or chromium (chromated copper arsenate) which they no longer do since early 2000 because it's toxic of course. Basically what you'd use to make a deck, picnic table and such. According to the link you provided they didn't mention this. Putting oil on them could be considered "treating" the wood. Essentially it's just plain old maple and old growth pine, then glued and laminated as the site says.

Using wolmanized or pressure treated wood for lanes would be mega expensive, might as well use mahogany. Mahogany lanes would look beautiful though. LOL
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Naples, dude.

It’s ranked up there with Beverly Hills.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    When you say treated wood then wolmanized wood is what comes to mind, pre-treated using arsenic or chromium (chromated copper arsenate) which they no longer do since early 2000 because it's toxic of course. Basically what you'd use to make a deck, picnic table and such. According to the link you provided they didn't mention this. Putting oil on them could be considered "treating" the wood. Essentially it's just plain old maple and old growth pine, then glued and laminated as the site says.

Using wolmanized or pressure treated wood for lanes would be mega expensive, might as well use mahogany. Mahogany lanes would look beautiful though. LOL
    I think you are confusing pressure treated wood, which is intended for outdoor use and treated to prevent insect damage and rot, with wood treated with some sort of flame retardant.

My own guess is that if you made an untreated wooden door the same thickness as a wood lane, it would easily attain a 90 minute U.L. fire rating.
    John

Cranker

If I had unlimited funds, I would purchase a 54 lane house near me and convert it to 42 lanes. Section off 10 lanes, I figured I would lose a pair sectioning it off. The 10 lane section would be a Kegel like training center. Cameras front, back and side. Specto\Cats system on the lanes. That private section would contain the Pro Shop and would also be available for private parties. I would get all new pin setters which you could program to set any pin combination you want. This way league bowlers can re-spot their own pins or come in and practice specific spares. Maybe have a camera on each pair of lanes which replays each shot on screen. Don't know if the software is available for this but make the pinsetter console screens Social Media aware. This way people can share their box score or even the video of them bowling. I would bring back colored pin bowling nights. I remember when I was younger I would love to bowl on those nights, if the red pin was the head pin and you struck you won a free game coupon. Also get a real bar\restaurant as well as the snack bar. That way the center could have another revenue stream and maybe offer a free bowling game coupon for people who come in for food.

Pin Crusher

I have a question for the experts about the pin setters. Where I bowl the pin setters are really old and they said they don't want the new ones that are cheaply made. They have all kinds of spare parts stored in a warehouse they own. These are the original ones from 1957 and work great. They have all the new software and are getting new scores this month. They seem to keep up with modern tech except don't like the new cheap machinery.

How much truth is there to this?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I have a question for the experts about the pin setters. Where I bowl the pin setters are really old and they said they don't want the new ones that are cheaply made. They have all kinds of spare parts stored in a warehouse they own. These are the original ones from 1957 and work great. They have all the new software and are getting new scores this month. They seem to keep up with modern tech except don't like the new cheap machinery.

How much truth is there to this?
    There is a lot of truth to it. We just ran across this same thing at work because of the upcoming remodel. They wanted to replace our pinsetters with a newer version. The mechanic objected because the ones we have are fine, he's put a lot of work into to perfecting them. There are many aftermarket parts that are actually better than factory. For example one part he showed me was originally made of brass you can't get anymore. The factory replacement is now plastic and fails quickly. The aftermarket is made from a polyurethane. He's also made many enhancements to improve on the original design that still aren't implemented in the newer ones. So he'd have to do all that over again too.

If they replaced all the pinsetters then he would have to re-buy all those parts again because the new ones come with the plastic. Bottom line is he knows THESE machines and their quirks and knows what is going to be need to be done and when. Replacing them we will have a whole new set of problems, deal with replacing inferior parts. Not to mention they'd be discarding all the new stuff he's recently replaced on the old ones. The pro's of having newer ones doesn't out weigh the cons at least in our case.

Even old pinsetters at least with our AMF ones we are able to use the latest and greatest scorer software which we have at least as of 2 years ago. If that center has kept accurate work logs and part replacement logs and detailed notes over the years it's well worth keeping the old ones. If they never kept track of anything then in that case it may not make a difference. Also if they haven't kept up with the machines and let them all go to hell then it may benefit them more to replace them. To know for sure they would really have to go over each machine and do a complete inspection top to bottom and look at the overall cost to get them up to par with parts and man hours to see which makes more financial sense. If they are too far gone then replace them, if they just need some TLC then keep them.
    Bowling Center Manager

Pin Crusher

Like I said they have warehouses full of parts and cataloged.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast