Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you care about how good your technique looks?

Default Do you care about how good your technique looks?

This is one of those technique vs results questions.

Yesterday, I was checking out some bowling videos and came across one of I guy that I have spoken to at the lanes a few times. From speaking with him and others, he's posted some rather good scores over the years but, I'd never seen him bowl. Here's a video of him competing in a local match last year. His style is rather unique.

At first, I was taken aback and trying to figure out how in the heck it worked and then just came to a simple conclusion: it works for him.

So, have you ever been concerned about how your game looks or have you always been focused on the outcome?

Chats: 22

OK for those wondering, go to the 7:30 mark in the video to see what I think you're talking about. He doesn't have a "normal" follow through.

I'm in no position to tell anybody how to bowl but I can speak about how I bowl. When I throw the ball sometimes I'm a good 2.5 feet in front of the foul line. Last couple months I've worked on this quite a bit. I have it down to at the most 1 foot now. It's just a mental thing - I freak out when I get close to that foul line. Makes zero sense. Finally convinced myself mentally that I'm forcing myself to bowl on a longer alley than everyone else, I've got to even the playing field! It's a process and I'm working on it, but it really has zero to do with how I think I look to other people. Just my 2 cents.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

To an extent, yes. Not in how I look to other people, but in the sense that proper technique creates more repeatable shots. when you have "oddities" or complications in your shot, the more chances there are for something to go awry. On the flip side, the less variables with your shot there are, the less that can go wrong in an approach and release, and the better and more consistent you can be.
    Last edited by mc_runner; 05-17-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarity

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Well we have a guy in our league that throws a semi-backup ball and has a 217 average. Also have one that stands sideways to the lanes (right side of his body facing the pins) and he has a 220 average. In the end I am more concerned with good bowling than i am about form but right now i don't have either sooooo.........
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

What mc_runner said. I care about my technique because something weird is either difficult to repeat, or inefficient.

Pin Crusher

Remember it is not HOW it is HOW MANY !

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Remember it is not HOW it is HOW MANY !
    In a great majority of cases, how many results from how. "It's what works for me," is just another excuse not to work on your game.

Pin Crusher

Rob have you watched the Swedish two hander? Could you do anything with his approach?

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Well we have a guy in our league that throws a semi-backup ball and has a 217 average. Also have one that stands sideways to the lanes (right side of his body facing the pins) and he has a 220 average. In the end I am more concerned with good bowling than i am about form but right now i don't have either sooooo.........
    I once saw a guy that was a right hander, but threw the ball as if he were a lefty cranker. A really big left to right hook. He also averaged over 200. There are many ways to bowl, and the bottom line is how many, not how.

Am I concerned with how my technique looks? Not really. I want results.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    I once saw a guy that was a right hander, but threw the ball as if he were a lefty cranker. A really big left to right hook. He also averaged over 200. There are many ways to bowl, and the bottom line is how many, not how.

Am I concerned with how my technique looks? Not really. I want results.
    I used to bowl with a guy that was a righty and bowled the normal righty hook but could throw it right handed but have it hook left to right and consistently hit the pocket. I tried it one day just messing around and about broke my hand...lol. No idea how he did it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast