Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Negative Handicap

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

John is exactly right. The thing is if you have ever went to or ran a league meeting you can't get that point across to some people. I have been around for 72 years and I can't believe politics and religion are this divisive in todays world.

That is not a perception.....that is the truth. The By Law for negative handicap was added because of one Sub that lit up a couple of teams while subbing. The PBA member that the league was trying to prevent from hurting them wont sub in the league anymore anyway. Now its effecting a regular team member whos average is above 220. I see both sides of the issue, yes, the higher avg. bowler could just go bowl somewhere else except their are no scratch leagues. The mens league uses no negative handicap and 90% of 225. Or just accept his negative handicap and keep bowling in this league.
    Since I have never encountered this I was hoping for this kind of conversation. My first thought was it was penalizing a bowler for being good. I think to a degree it still is, but as you folks have pointed out, their is more than one way to look at it. And if the league wants to discuss it, their are several ways to handle it.
    All input and thoughts are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    John is exactly right. The thing is if you have ever went to or ran a league meeting you can't get that point across to some people. I have been around for 72 years and I can't believe politics and religion are this divisive in todays world.
    Fordman1 thanks for the input. I have ran league meetings, and have been around a lot of testy, down right nasty meetings........but that was in the 80's and 90's. Negative Handicap was never an issue back then. Fact was I wasn't aware this league even had it until I noticed the minus sign next to the bowlers handicap. Just trying to educate myself about both sides of negative handicap issue.

Not a fan of negative handicap. Never looked into either. But why should someone that shoots 300 and has -10 max at 290 and someone that shoots 290 but gets 10pins win.

Pin Crusher

The individual h\c should only be used at the end of the year to see who wins $10 for high game of the year with h\c.
    If you use the team h\c all of the crying could be stopped. Put in a high cap for team, no team can have an average over such in such. Say 800 for a mixed league. 255-85-120-250=760 or what ever.

Chats: 32

I have never seen that and bowled in quite a few leagues. Sounds like it was a poor choice to discriminate against one bowler. at the next league meeting I would try to get this rule pitched
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

A few years ago I was a house rep for the local assn. I attended the organizational meeting for all 22 leagues. Now that was a learning experience. You can not imagine the things that they would argue over. They would almost come to blows. H\c, subs, no subs, avg. entering avg. pay out, how much to charge, absent score, almost everything.

This same league has a by-law that a legal lineup must have at least one bowler of the opposite sex on the team. Its a mixed league......ok except when you need a sub. That was pulled on us early on. It seems that their is no requirement for a sub to be male for male or female for female, or even to keep the 1 member of the opposite sex on the team when using a sub. Yep....their 120 female became a 195 male sub. Their mixed league team was 4 men now. When I inquired as to why this was allowed, they said they have a hard time finding female subs. So they wave the ratio of male to female, except during position round. No subs allowed at all.
    Not trying to sound like sour grapes, or remake the wheel, as I said before quite bowling in 1996, just got back into it in 2016 after retirement. Time goes on, things change, I understand that. I have been gone a while.....like almost 20 years, but trying to get current. lol

Pin Crusher

Funny thing was at all the meetings the ones that complained the most were mixed or lower avg. leagues. Women seemed to come in with an attitude. One lady who was a league sec. while fielding questions got mad and told her husband to "sit down and shut up". I rarely said a word unless they were trying to put in or change a bylaw that was totally against USBC rules.

Chats: 221

One answer is to juse 90% difference in the team average. So t soesn't mater what aerage the sub has. You just add up the averages of the people bowling that night and the lower average team gets 90% of the difference between the 2 teams and the higher aerage team gets 0

Many years ago I dealt with negative handicap in 4 leagues. Monday league was based off 220 and I had -9 at the end of the season. Wed. league was 90% of 210. started the hyear at -43 an ended up at -15. Sunday once a month was 100% of 200 and I ended up at -20.. I subbed in a Tues mixed which was 90% od 210 and ended at -21. I just kept tryinmg to do my besty and take my lumps. BTW we won the Monday,Wednesday and Sunday leagues. And the team I subbed fr (all of 4 times) won their league too
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast