Thread: Company bowling league...

Default Company bowling league...

I work for a major grocery chain. Many years ago I bowled in a company league with a team from each store. I would love to revisit that but I know nothing of how to start that. Is it difficult to start a league and be in charge of it. Is it worth the trouble? It would be a mixed league for fun. Too much work?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I work for a major grocery chain. Many years ago I bowled in a company league with a team from each store. I would love to revisit that but I know nothing of how to start that. Is it difficult to start a league and be in charge of it. Is it worth the trouble? It would be a mixed league for fun. Too much work?
    Disclaimer: I am not a league secretary, nor have I started any leagues.

1. You need to recruit enough bowlers so you can have enough teams so it doesn’t feel like you’re bowling against the same team every week. I would start by talking to someone in your personel/human resources department. At the very least, you would need permission to use the company name in the name of the league. In the early 20th century there was a fair ammount of research that linked providing recreational and social activities for employees to increased productivity. H.R. may be able to help publicize your league within the company.
    2. Someone has to keep track of averages and standings. Many bowling centers are set up todo this for the leagues that bowl there, so there isn’t nearly as much work forthe league secretary to do.
    3. Someone has to collect the money and pay the bills. I have bowled in two different leagues where the money envelopes for each team were turned in to the the control desk at the center, not the treasurer.

Your questions of, “is it worth the trouble?”, “Too much work?”, can really only be answered by you after you’ve given it a try.
    John

Thank you sir! That's good stuff to know. I wasn't sure if I would be required to take care of scores/averages and all that. Like you said, I would guess that shouldn't be too much of an issue today. How does cost per week get determined? That's kind of what I would need to know to talk it up.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Thank you sir! That's good stuff to know. I wasn't sure if I would be required to take care of scores/averages and all that. Like you said, I would guess that shouldn't be too much of an issue today. How does cost per week get determined? That's kind of what I would need to know to talk it up.
    While my experience is that the league secretary does most of the work for a league, you shouldtry to get at least a few others involved. Even though you are looking to start a fun league there would be advantages to being USBC certified. USBC provides a framework of rules and by-laws so you don’t have to invent them from scratch. You should also be able to find mentors in your local association to help advise you in getting set up.

The cost per week is usually voted on by the league board of directors. Main factor will be your lineage cost. Most of the time, the secretary and the treasurer are paid to compensate them for the work they do for the league. There will be some cost for awards at the end of he season.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I'd you want to "Organize" and establish a bowling league.

First you should find out the starting figures, if there is enough interest among the employees to go to the trouble of establishing a company league. Talk to them and Get a approximate idea about how about how many players/teams there will be.

If your going to be using the company name etc, for promoting you got to get their permission.

You have to get a idea for about how long the league would run, team sizes, costs etc.

Once you have all that info, then you can start contacting alleys and see if they can accommodate you, Find out their prices etc. Make sure to get a guarantee on your spot and what services they will provide, Make a contract. See if you can make deals with them for drinks, food or any other amenities they may have to offer.

See if your can company to sponsor the league, provide any extra prizes or money.

As for running the league, you don't necessarily have to do all that yourself. Let the league vote their own President, Treasurer and Secretary etc. in. You can just be the organizer.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Awesome, thanks for all the info. I'm gonna start talking it up and see if we can get enough interest!

Chats: 55

The bowl.com website has a wealth of information. Go there click on USBC and select League Resources.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150