Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Ouch

I am now 7 weeks removed from rotator cuff surgery. Met with the doctor a few weeks back, and here's the damage report--

Torn tendon has been re-attached, requiring roughly three feet of polycarbonate string (yep, fishing line). Some will dissolve in a few years, some is permanent.

Frayed Labrum (surprise!) has been cleaned up.

"Tunnel", or the area above the socket, has been scraped out to get rid of impingement issues.

Arthritis damage removed. This requires shortening your collarbone by 1cm.

I'm about three weeks ahead of schedule on PT. Next week starts actual strengthening stuff. If I remember correctly from the last time I did this, it ranges somewhere between horrible and unbearable.

There is a moral to this story, particularly applicable to you youngsters on here. Take care of yourself. If something doesn't feel right, stop. This is super important if you're in the skilled trades like myself. Sometimes the shortcut has long-lasting consequences. They didn't have this thing called "ergonomics" when I was a kid. You just did your job the best way you knew how. Now, if one of us old farts tells you there's a better way to do something, pay heed. We probably learned the hard way....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I am now 7 weeks removed from rotator cuff surgery. Met with the doctor a few weeks back, and here's the damage report--

Torn tendon has been re-attached, requiring roughly three feet of polycarbonate string (yep, fishing line). Some will dissolve in a few years, some is permanent.

Frayed Labrum (surprise!) has been cleaned up.

"Tunnel", or the area above the socket, has been scraped out to get rid of impingement issues.

Arthritis damage removed. This requires shortening your collarbone by 1cm.

I'm about three weeks ahead of schedule on PT. Next week starts actual strengthening stuff. If I remember correctly from the last time I did this, it ranges somewhere between horrible and unbearable.

There is a moral to this story, particularly applicable to you youngsters on here. Take care of yourself. If something doesn't feel right, stop. This is super important if you're in the skilled trades like myself. Sometimes the shortcut has long-lasting consequences. They didn't have this thing called "ergonomics" when I was a kid. You just did your job the best way you knew how. Now, if one of us old farts tells you there's a better way to do something, pay heed. We probably learned the hard way....
    Ouch is right. I am left handed (lost the use of my right arm when I was 4 in a car accident) so I have no choice. I have arthritis, impingement, and bone spurs in my left shoulder. That is one reason I was leary of coming back to bowling but at 49 I figured I can't live in a bubble the rest of my life.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I'm now 10 days on the good side of single level cervical fusion surgery (C5:C6). Thank you Timmyb for starting this thread... it's the perfect place for us, the walking wounded, to commiserate as we convalesce and go nuts waiting to get back to bowling.

Chats: 1

I'm 9 months out of a nasty motorcycle accident. Open fracture of the tibia, broken fibula, lacerated femoral artery, broken and twisted pelvis, shredded pateller tendon, removed calf muscle for a flap, dislocated thumb and coccyx. Surgeon thinks there's a possibility that I'll be able to bowl and golf again, but I will need to approach both of them very differently. I'm still walking with a cane, hoping to be off of it within the next couple months.
    Last edited by drlawsoniii; 06-22-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm now 10 days on the good side of single level cervical fusion surgery (C5:C6). Thank you Timmyb for starting this thread... it's the perfect place for us, the walking wounded, to commiserate as we convalesce and go nuts waiting to get back to bowling.
    Can I ask why they fused it Rob? I had some issues going on with a bulged disc between my C5 and C6 that I recently treated with acupuncture.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 32

Timmy I'm sure that's a big obstacle to overcome but I see it in baseball pitchers all the time. When I was young it was the end of your career now days it makes them better, get well soon
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Can I ask why they fused it Rob? I had some issues going on with a bulged disc between my C5 and C6 that I recently treated with acupuncture.
    Really? I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back from 2001. Talked to a neurosurgeon about surgery but went to therapy and it has been pretty good since then. Flares up every once in awhile but a quick trip to the chiropractor usually takes care of it. Never thought about acupuncture.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I had them fused because I've learned from my mistakes. Way back in 2003, I had a massive attack of sciatica. I had an MRI done. When it was evaluated by an ortho surgeon, he determined that I really didn't need surgery. I treated it off and on for years with acupuncture. The problem was that when it really got bad about five years ago, I again had it evaluated and was told, "I'm sorry, but your back is so screwed up that I could cut you nine times and still not fix it." When the pinched nerve in my neck got so bad that I had pain radiating up into my head, across my shoulder, and down my arm. When the MRI showed that a great majority of the damage was between C5 and C6, I took the advice of the surgeon and had them fused. Now, just ten days after the surgery, the nerve pain is about 90% gone! At this point I feel like this was probably the best decision I ever made.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Timmy I'm sure that's a big obstacle to overcome but I see it in baseball pitchers all the time. When I was young it was the end of your career now days it makes them better, get well soon
    Thank God I'm a righty. I had the right shoulder done (almost identical surgery) 7 years ago. Just as painful a recovery, but I think my game is better now for it. It'll be interesting to see if the left shoulder was causing any issues unknowingly in my game. I sure as hell know it affected trap shooting.....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    I'm 9 months out of a nasty motorcycle accident. Open fracture of the tibia, broken fibula, lacerated femoral artery, broken and twisted pelvis, shredded pateller tendon, removed calf muscle for a flap, dislocated thumb and coccyx. Surgeon thinks there's a possibility that I'll be able to bowl and golf again, but I will need to approach both of them very differently. I'm still walking with a cane, hoping to be off of it within the next couple months.
    Jesus, dude. Best of luck with your recovery!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast