Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developing My Style

I've been bowling (well, really trying to bowl) for the last 8 months. For the last few weeks, there have been a couple of coaches who have been volunteering their time at a local bowling center, doing group coaching. At this point, I am not focused on developing a style. I am working staying behind the ball, getting out more cleanly, fixing my footwork, hitting my marks, keeping my eyes on my target, letting my ball do more of the work, etc.

I can seen myself improving more. For example, I caught an open bowling special yesterday and bowled a lot. I was able to get some 180+, 190+ games. I even bowled a 210 in one game. I'm not going to be a terror on the lanes anytime soon but, I am happy with the fact that I am improving.

A few months back, I was trying to find my style instead of just addressing the basics of my game. You could probably find posts of me trying to bowl no-thumb (bad idea for me BTW). In the end, I just decided that I wanted to be a better bowler and that my "style" will come later.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Here is something to think about. Get a lady coach if you are a beginner they can teach basics. Once you learn them and want to be a power player get a male coach. Either way they have to be with you when you bowl. Watching is where they see your faults and can help with them.
    Not going to go crazy about the content of this post, but just want to point a few things out. Agreed that you need to have a coach watching you bowl while you are learning (and even at higher levels - some can get away with video tape in between coaching visits). When talking about the "power" game here is a list of a few things you need to understand and have awareness of: Shoulder Rotation, Timing of feet with the armswing, efficiency in the release (think of Joe Slowinski talking out not up), Ball Position in the armswing (under not out), etc. None of these aspects are things that are limited to male coaches being able to identify and explain. Just because someone has a different style of game doesn't mean they don't understand the concept. When I hear about a power game being limited to a specific type of person the first thing I think of is strength which leads me to think of muscling the ball which is counter-productive.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12