Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing My Style

Default Developing My Style

I think I've hit a bit of a crossroads in my (very early) bowling career. I recently had my span increased, and I think that my ball is fitting better now. I've also discovered the wonders of bowling tape application, and my thumb is fitting more snugly. Initially, my scores dropped down pretty terribly, with the new fit, but I've recovered my form for the most part with practice.

I'm having trouble with getting my 'style' nailed down. After reading most of the forums here, and other sources, I've learned to hold and release the ball a number of different ways - suitcase, modern, stroker, tweener, even a bit of cranker. None of them consistently, but I've got the basics, I think.

So, I wanted to use a 'modern release', coming up the back of the ball, and sort of using a yo-yo motion on the release, but I'm having all sorts of trouble repeating it. Sometimes, the ball simply falls forward off my hand, rather than rolling out of the 'cup'. Other times, I'm muscling it off to the left, but the release is perfect. I wonder if this is more of a timing issue, or my body alignment?

Also, are there real advantages to the modern release, or is it simply a matter of preference? I could always suitcase it pretty reliably, but the carry seems pretty light.

Last, what exactly is the point of 'playing inside'? I've never had an issue with over-hooking the ball - quite the opposite. I have to work pretty hard to get a hook on it at all, when rolling at full speed (17mph or so)

My ball is a Pyramid Path Rising, reactive pearl, sym core. Is that enough ball for a speed-dominant player? Are there other 'beginner' options for more grip? I seem to skid it all the way down the lane more often than not, with just a little curve, unless I really hit the hook release hard...

A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing, and a little bit of knowledge is what you are getting here. You are not yet at the point that you have to decide whether or not a modern release is right for you. A Certified Coach can tell you that. Take the plunge and find a good coach that can get you going in the right direction. It is something that you will never regret... unless you decide not to do it!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

A coach wouldn't hurt. Here's a thought, though. As much as a "modern" release is what you want, it may not be the best for your game. You need to find what not only works for you, but works all the time. You can't always just pick a style out of thin air and say "that what I'm gonna do". My flexibility issues won't allow me to do certain things I see a lot of successful players do, simply because I won't be able to consistently repeat the motion. Over the years, I've come down to a style that works for my game, and works pretty much every time.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Pin Crusher

Here is something to think about. Get a lady coach if you are a beginner they can teach basics. Once you learn them and want to be a power player get a male coach. Either way they have to be with you when you bowl. Watching is where they see your faults and can help with them.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Here is something to think about. Get a lady coach if you are a beginner they can teach basics. Once you learn them and want to be a power player get a male coach. Either way they have to be with you when you bowl. Watching is where they see your faults and can help with them.
    This may not be the most sexist post I've ever seen, but it comes really close! Find a Certified Coach, male or female, as he/she has been trained to teach you to bowl the way that you want to bowl. The gender of the coach is totally irrelevant!

I too think a coach would give you a bit of good direction. It does not matter the sex of the coach and I have to say I am a bit upset that at least one person seems to hold women coaches in less hight regard. I would watch out for a coach who thinks you should only do it their way but I might also take some of what they say to heart. You have to follow your own lead in these things some things work better for one person than another.

Pin Crusher

Maybe, Maybe not. Most who teach do their best when teaching what the do the best. The lady I was referring to is an ex pro who has won titles and she teaches basics. Once you learn the basics then you can learn how to be a cranker or power player. She does promo's on the local assn. TV show. Never seen her tell the pupil to yoyo the ball or throw it at the floor. Push away, heel toe and follow through. Once you learn that then you can stutter step into your high back swing and become the next PBA star.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Wow....just wow!

Perhaps you haven't experienced her full coaching capabilities, but NEVER sell a woman short - especially, in a public forum.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Well, solid advice, anyway. I'd be pretty shocked to see a female coach teaching a cranker style, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, I'll have to make do with what I can find around here. Not exactly flush with cash at the moment.

Pin Crusher

This would be my 1st choice if I was a new bowler. google her Michelle Mullen, bowling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast