Thread: MOTIV Hydra

Default MOTIV Hydra

Description: The Hydra is a new name to the MOTIV lineup with the familiar Halogen Light Bulb core, used on both the Tag and Tribal series. However, the Hydra uses the a new version of the Hexion coverstock.

Reaction: The intention of the Hydra is for lighter oil, but I have found that it has more potential. The out of box surface offers plenty of length and a lot of recovery, so you’ll get exactly what the ball is designed to do. Balls that typically fall into a light oil category can sometimes be over/under, meaning the ball responds too violently to the friction or the ball doesn’t respond enough to the oil. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll tend to want to either get a bigger core or more surface in your hand, but sometimes with lower volumes those don’t always equate to being the answer either. Even with the 5000 Grit LSP box surface, at a few different houses now, I don’t feel the ball ever pushed through the breakpoint even on the fresh. The ball does work best when it sees some friction and may not be a ball on fresh for everyone, but soon as they break down and you open up your angles this will be a great addition.

Comparisons: The Venom Shock Pearl is sooner and smoother when it encounters friction. It also has more hook potential, but because the Hydra responds to friction so quickly, it may appear that the Hydra hooks more. The Primal Rage LE is significantly stronger overall and is rounder down lane. Once again MOTIV has done a great job on placing a new ball into their ball guide. I do not feel this ball overlaps any previous release, checkout where the Hydra will fit for you! Although the Primal Rage LE is not on the ball guide, I personally feel it fits below the Trident and to the left of the Trident Quest. (http://www.motivbowling.com/resources/ball-guide.html)

Summary: I feel like this will be MOTIV’s best release in the Light Oil area row (according to the ball guide). I had a lot of success with the Graffiti Tag and it has stayed in the rotation, even since it was retired. The Hydra is a great replacement piece and an upgrade to that shape for me. The Hydra will be very popular because of the performance and the price point in which it is being offered.

Mike Magolan
    MOTIV | Turbo | Bowlifi | BowlerX | Genesis, Staff Member

Chats: 221

Great review as always
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)