Thread: pin returns to pin deck from pit & stands up?

Default pin returns to pin deck from pit & stands up?

OK on a recent bowling telecast they showed an instance where a bowler threw a strike; all pins left the pin deck. One pin came back out of the pit and stood up. Is it still a strike?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jgv_007 View Post
    OK on a recent bowling telecast they showed an instance where a bowler threw a strike; all pins left the pin deck. One pin came back out of the pit and stood up. Is it still a strike?
    No, it's not.
    John

based on what reference? Even though pin stood up on deck, it was not on a pin spot. It was out of range of the pinsetter. You don't know which pin it really was? Where would you spot it?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If it was someone on my team it was a 5 pin. The other team it was a 10 pin. Iuse logic.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jgv_007 View Post
    based on what reference? Even though pin stood up on deck, it was not on a pin spot. It was out of range of the pinsetter. You don't know which pin it really was? Where would you spot it?
    It's not a strike, "based on what reference?" USBC rules
    Rule 7 – Pins: 7b. Rebounding: Pins that rebound and stand on the lane must be counted as standing pins.

Pins fall over a stand back up often and are considered still standing. The pin being off spot and out of range doesn't factor into it you don't respot it, you play the pin where it stands.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I had a similar scenario a few weeks ago. Threw what looked like a strike then a pin on the right side landed upside down on its head on the deck then flipped back over and stood up. No idea which pin it was but it was close to the 10 spot when it was all said and done. I thought I was seeing things until the guy on the other team yelled out 'whoa'. I turned and said did you see what I saw? And it didn't count as a strike. It was off spot a little but the rack still picked it up. The scoreboard counted it as a strike but we changed it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 1

I had a 4 pin bounce out of the pit and stand back up. And it was after a shot that I thought I would see nothing but shattered pins. Sometimes you just have to shake your head.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Witnessed one on my senior league last week. Tall, lanky guy on the opposing team throws a plastic ball very fast, smashes the pocket, clears the deck and one pops back up spinning like a top in the 8 pin area. Both teams yelled, "Whoa!" It finally wobbled back off the back of the deck just as the setter came down.